Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:02 AM

Well done to all involved.

#17 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 March 2014 - 09:45 AM

This is absolutely incredible! Very, very well done to all involved with making this happen!

I can hardly believe it. I must admit I didn't really think that firework making as a legal hobby would ever be a reality in the UK. I have just mentioned this to my wife - her first reaction was "it's not April 1st is it?"

I have virtually totally stopped all hobby pyro over the last few years, mostly due to fear of falling foul of the law. This will mean that I can start afresh with a hobby I miss and all the satisfaction and joy associated with it.

This has made my day (year in fact!) :D  You have made me (and no doubt 1000's of others - when they all hear about it) very happy.

Well done again!

2014 is the year!!

"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#18 Sparky

Sparky

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Wow I've only just seen this. It is great news as I have to be honest and admit my hobby is gathering dust in the shed due to the fear I had of getting that knock at the door. It will be a weight off my mind knowing I will be able to experiment legitimately! Thanks to all of those involved with getting this done!!!

Just a quick question about the poisons/chemicals legislation. You seem to have more info on how this is going to work than I do. Is there a proposal in the public domain ?

#19 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 10:50 AM

We had a guy from the Home Office at the AGM telling us about the current thinking. The legislation is not finalised, and several points were bought up at the AGM which I don't think they had considered, however...

Broadly, it looks like a £40 yearly licence will allow people to buy the things they want. Although £40 is a pain, the upside is NO ONE will be able to say you are not entitled to be in possession of the chemicals you need.

Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#20 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:00 AM

£40 is a small price to pay to put your mind at rest that you are purchasing and storing perfectly legally.

#21 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

I think (by the sounds of it) you will also need a acquire and keep if you are going to make anything BP or flash based, not sure if 'flash' is going to include metallic fueled stars or not ? :wacko:

Yo Ho Ho, a pyro's life for me

#22 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think (by the sounds of it) you will also need a acquire and keep if you are going to make anything BP or flash based, not sure if 'flash' is going to include metallic fueled stars or not ? :wacko:

The Acquire and Keep cert for B.P. and flash would be logical (even though it isn't presently required for flash).

Will the Acquire and Keep also cover the storage of pyrotechnic devices? (Those made for testing, demonstration or experimentation).

Also, how is "practical use" defined in Reg 6.(2)(a)?

"the manufacture of explosives for the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation (but not for practical use or supply) where the total quantity of explosives being manufactured at any time does not exceed 100 grams, but nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of [regulation 5 ER], without such a certificate;"

Edited by Rip Rap, 25 March 2014 - 01:58 PM.

#23 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

I suppose it does make sense, it's not going to stop (or even slow down) a determined suicide bomber, but it should stop a few idiots blowing their hands of with pipe bombs and/or annoying their neighbors.

Not sure, it would be nice but i suspect as it won't be bs7114 it would need certified storage.

I'm sure it will all become clear when they publish all the legislation amendments in September/October.

#24 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:39 PM

The practical use bit was covered in the talks at the AGM.

I won't try and repeat wat was said as i'll probably get it wrong, hopefully there will be a video if the speaker allows it to be published.

#25 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:23 AM

Would someone like to repeat it, in case the speaker does not want a video aired.

The fact that it was presented at an open agm surely means the info is free to be published.

It seems daft that such important info is only known by those lucky enough to have been able to attend the agm.

All members are equal but some are more equal than others :)

#26 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

I think it best if it comes from the horses mouth so to speak.

The chap that presented it may not want his picture all over the internet, he probably won't mind, but if he does we have to respect that, i'm sure we could do a pixelated or audio version if it comes to it.

The AGM was 70/80 people in a small cinema, not the same as being published on the world wide interweb.

I attended and i don't know all that was said as i can't remember, so i (and i'm sure many other attendees) also want it published.

All members are equal, everyone was invited. The chap doing the videoing is a very busy man, but i can assure you things are happening. We have a committee phone meeting tonight and should have a news letter out shortly which should include a summery of what was said :)

Also please remember this is a draft, it's not as yet written in law !!

#27 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:38 PM

Hi Steve, Martyn,

I think there may be some confusion between Wayne's ELR presentation, and the Home Office precursors presentation. Wayne has published his slides from his own talk, I am sure he can check if we can publish the slides from the Home Office precursors presentation.

The ELR document being produced by Wayne / UKPS has not yet been finalised (it is being re-factored so there is no overlap with HSE overarching guidance), but when it has - Wayne will make it available to all for informal consultation before any final changes prior to publication of the first version.

Wayne did field a question at the AGM concerning "practical use", and essentially - the experimental firing of a pyrotechnic article in the form of a firework, to evaluate its performance and burning characteristics, can be distinguished from its practical use in a fireworks display, for example. Another analogy - you could test fire a magnesium flare, but you could not use it practically to signal distress on a yacht (practical use / real world application).

#28 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Wayne did field a question at the AGM concerning "practical use", and essentially - the experimental firing of a pyrotechnic article in the form of a firework, to evaluate its performance and burning characteristics, can be distinguished from it's practical use in a fireworks display, for example. Another analogy - you could test fire a magnesium flare, but you could not use it practically to signal distress on a yacht (practical use / real world application).

Thanks Richard,

that all makes sense.

Cant wait to read the ELR.

#29 martyn

martyn

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:56 PM

yes, cheers Richard, that's helpful.

I understand absolutely that Wayne may need to play his cards close to his chest at times, I apoligise but I'm just keen to hear what the speakers said in public at the agm.

I would love to have been able to attend but I was rostered to work and unable to book time off due to the proximity to the year end and the relatively short notice.

It doesn't need to be the actual video, just a summary of the main points which affect us.

Once again, huge thanks to everyone, and especially Wayne, who have got us to where we are.

#30 fruitfulsteve

fruitfulsteve

• UKPS Members
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

Opps, yes i think i got Nathan and Waynes talks mixed up. Just aswell i didn't try and repeat what was said :o

Still we do hope to be able to publish the videos of the talks sometime soon, so long as we get permission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users