• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#16 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:19 PM

Yes. Big G already metioned this. if you ram it your gonna lose body parts.
I like blue

#17 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:36 PM

Wow 100Db is a pretty loud sound. 100Db for a 3/8" whistle to boom would be pretty impressive. I dont plan on having the whistle go for anywhere near 5 or more seconds, just enough to get it about 100 feet up, then boom. Since these whistles will be quite powerfull the mortar for them will not be the same height of the whistles but about 1 1/2 times the whistles length, to give it some direction.

Bobconan I will do some testing though, because I want to have noise but not so it is unbearable. I do aim to entertain you know :) .

Yes chim-chim you are right 50 milligrams of flash for any ground firework, not sure about aerial fireworks but that sounds about right. Which is why the fireworks here in the US in the boom category are not the best but there are some worthy 500gram cakes and single shot shells out there.

I was looking at 3/8" ID 1/8" walls 3 1/2" length tubes for my saturn missiles. Only thing is how will I fuse them when the whistle mix is rammed 2 inches up and 25 of them in one cake? Regular visco would be a bit slow, and wouldnt vis-quick shoot off 25 shots rather quickly?

#18 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 07:56 PM

Yes whistles DO need to be pressed. When I say press I dont mean 'ram' .Others have mentioned this already. Press with a hydraulic / screw / arbor press. A shield would be handy, and you as far away as possible. In industry, pressing whistles is one of the most potentially dangerous operations, and when you see a whistle going like a flash maroon, there is no wonder why.. especially when they are gang pressed.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#19 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 08:08 PM

1sec per inch would be good. you could probably put a bead of goopy prime right underneath where the missile will be. They are pretty sensitive and dont need much to take off. Whistling moon travelers just have a fuse put in the bottom held inplace with a wad of tissue paper.wait. i have an idea I hope i can decribe this.have some visco but just going straight out to one side.paint on some prime but in a square shaped ring and arrange your first row of rockets on top of it. The paint another ring but like 2 inches bigger then the last square and out side of the last ring. you might actually wanna make this out of wood and reusable. so youll have like 1..4..8..12..16 ......

Edited by bobconan, 19 May 2004 - 09:56 PM.

I like blue

#20 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 May 2004 - 09:24 PM

I press my benzoate whistle with 3,75 metric tons (13mm ID). I have a nice video of it if anyone would like to host it.
Hmmm. Next time I?ll have a small core to meke it whistle better.

Edited by Yugen-biki, 19 May 2004 - 09:34 PM.

#21 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 20 May 2004 - 02:24 AM

1sec per inch would be good. you could probably put a bead of  goopy prime right underneath where the missile will be. They are pretty sensitive and dont need much to take off. Whistling moon travelers just have a fuse put in the bottom held inplace with a wad of tissue paper.wait. i have an idea I hope i can decribe this.have some visco but just going straight out to one side.paint on some prime but in a square shaped ring and arrange your first row of rockets on top of it. The paint another ring but like 2 inches bigger then the last square and out side of the last ring.  you might actually wanna make this out of wood and reusable. so youll have like 1..4..8..12..16 ......

I actually figured it out in my head. I will probably have all 25 mortars in 5 rows of 5 all touching against each other. If I use a medium speed visco I could hopefully get the cake to go in 25-30 seconds. Having the first three rows of five fused with a medium speed visco, and the last two rows of five with vis-quick. I think I will have the vis-quick knotted around the main fuse at the bottom of the tube going up and touching the whistle mix. If I cannot find fuse that goes 1 second per inch I guess making my own will be the only solution.

Yugen-biki I was looking into a 4-ton hydraulic press and 3/4" thick blast shield for it. Close to $300 shipped though. Does that sound like to much, a steal, or just about right? Thanks again guys!

#22 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 09:53 AM

That is expensive italteen3. I bought a hydralic press for $12,8 and got some free iron gurders. Guess I was lucky to get them free. But that's wath friends are for. ;) I'm useing a thick wooden plank as a blast shield.

This setup is not the best, but budget friendly. Next time I?ll probably buy all the parts to make a better one. But for pressing rockets with 68:23:9/KNO3:C:S this one will do just fine for now.

If I were you I would probably buy the 4-ton hydraulic press you are looking into. $300 is quite some money, but finding all the parts and to put them together might make the "ready to use" press worth the extra money.

Is this the 4-ton press?: http://www.hobbyfire...Rockettext.html

#23 Kembang Api

Kembang Api

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 11:22 AM

What kind of tube is used for this type of rocket, if anyone could tell me?

BigG had mention 8800 psi press force as recommendation. If we used 3/4 ID tube and convert it to tonnage, it would need a minimum of 1.5 ton force.

Could the paper tube hold this force? or a plastic tube was used! I did not have any experience before in pressing such a force. I am still working with BP rockets. I hope soon I will be starting with whistle mix. Thanks for a reply.

#24 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

What kind of tube is used for this type of rocket, if anyone could tell me?

BigG had mention 8800 psi press force as recommendation. If we used 3/4 ID tube and convert it to tonnage, it would need a minimum of 1.5 ton force.

Could the paper tube hold this force? or a plastic tube was used! I did not have any experience before in pressing such a force. I am still working with BP rockets. I hope soon I will be starting with whistle mix. Thanks for a reply.

Black Powder rockets that use 3/4 id tubes usually have 1/8 inch wall. Whistle rockets of the same size use 1/4 inch wall. The 1/8 inch wall black powder rockets did not require any sleeves but they don't need to be pressed horribly hard either (shortly, if you pressed it to the point that the tube bend - then you probably over done it. you can use a sleeve, but the performance difference does not seem to be that great)- . However, for whistle, which have twice the wall thickness - it's advisable to use sleeves.

Again, I must say - Rockets are not my real cup of tea, so I'm sure we have people around that made much more.

#25 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 01:00 PM

Yugen, yes I am talking about the small press found at hobbyfireworks B). I dont think I need the 3/4" blast shield. I will be working with 1 pound rockets as my largest maybe 3 pound in the future. Largest whistles will be 1/2" for a long time so I dont think I will be needing a thick blast shield. 1/4" blast shield should be fine and saves me $60, that I could put towards more chems, tooling, and tubes. Though whistle mix is powerful, which I will not underestimate, I will not be pressing anything more powerful so 1/4" should be fine.

BigG since I will have many different sized tubes, can I use my 5/8" ID tube as a sleeve for my 5/8" OD tubes when pressing whistles as well as other sized tubes for use as sleeves?

#26 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 21 May 2004 - 01:25 PM

Maybe, try it. The only thing is that I think you will find the inside tube quite hard to remove as it expend slightly when you press the rocket.

#27 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 03:07 AM

Maybe, try it. The only thing is that I think you will find the inside tube quite hard to remove as it expend slightly when you press the rocket.

I will definately try it that way first, if it works then that is my method. If not a normal sleeve is a metal rod bored out down the middle a few thousandths of an inch larger then the OD of the whistle tube correct?

If Im mistaken you can give me a cyber slap to the face and teach me right :P .

Thanks again, all of you for the help!

#28 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:07 AM

You could try slitting one of your 5/8" ID tubes down one side, putting the tube in it, then clamping it "shut" with a few hose clamps. Press away, then undo the clamps to release the motor. This may be advantageous over a metal sleeve, as I would guess that if a whistle rocket iginites with a steel sleeve around it and a press frame at either end, it will really ruin your day, blast sheild or not.

#29 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 10:11 AM

I would have bought the thicker blast shield. The day you have an accident or will be happy to have it. Or if yo find it to be to small and buy a new one you will regret that you bought the small one. This is how I think. It?s up to you.

#30 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 22 May 2004 - 07:15 PM

Well I will not be purchasing the press and blast shield for another 7-10 days. So I will contact Hobbyfireworks and see what they would recomend for what I will be working with, and how strong they actually are. Then determine from there. Phoenix thank you for the suggestion I will definately keep that in mind, I dont want a shrapnel charge going off.

If I do use tubes at first and a 5/8" OD tube gets stuck in a 5/8" ID tube I could press it out with a 5/8" rod. I presume ramming a whistle even though its just the tube part is not safe.

Would 7-9 turns of kraft work? Mainly because it is reusable and wont possibly ruin another tube used as a sleeve.

Thanks again everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users