823 replies to this topic

#16 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 04:19 AM

yes but what about its store life? my mg will be un coated. Unless ofcourse i need to coat it as i will more than likely use it in flash bags which may sit on the shelf for a couple weeks.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#17 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 08:47 PM

I think your Magnesium flash powder should be good to store for awhile, if you keep it in a concealed container, and keep it miles away from damp or wet, it will PROBABLY keep. I'm just assuming, but I'm fairly certain.
About the tree house, It has a door, 2 locks, actually, and it is sealed. I store my powders in a cabinet inside the wall. It's actually pretty cozy... :lol:
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#18 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 09:07 PM

Chaz, what mesh is your Magnesium in your KNO3/Mg Flash?

#19 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 07:55 AM

I've used lab grade Mg powder, not sure of the mesh, in 70/30 KNO3/Mg and 50/50 flash.
the longest I've kept any uncoated was for two weeks, in a device stored in a cool dry place, andit worked fine afterwards.

#20 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 06:30 PM

What sort of burn speed are we looking at, similar to Chaz's. What else is a similar fineness to your Mg powder, flour, caster sugar. I could probably give you an idea of the mesh then

#21 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 07:28 PM

On the topic of flash. I have searched but dont have weeks worth of time to look at all of the older topics. So I figured search salutes but you Brits dont use that name :P .

Just got a pound of that ->

Titanium, flakes

[Ti/Vn/Al] -10-100 mesh, gray to silver flakes

Aerospace alloy: 90% titanium, 6% vanadium, 4% aluminum. Slightly brighter white sparks than the pure stuff. Works well in salutes, fountains, and comets.

I also have some empty 1 1/2" ball shells that were filled with BP burst and BP based stars. Tried one out with flash and used it the same night the flash was put in to prevent any reaction with the nitrate and aluminum. Now I want to put some titanium in, so I can have the nice bright short titanium sparkle found in most commercial salutes. I have searched all the books I own (only 5) and no luck, searched he and no luck.

Just need the ratio of Flash to Titanium. I always diaper so Im not worried about my mixing method. What I am worried about is Titanium's sparking tendencies. I will just be pouring it from the diapering paper into a funnel which goes into the shell. How much more care can I take? I always wear the necessary safety pretection, anything else?

#22 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 04:12 AM

Alright, I have a question: I am going to be making smaller salutes, and perhaps slightly larger ones in mortors once I make sure they won't go off in the tube. What is a good, powerful, and perhaps slightly-safer-than-the-other-flash-powder composition?

#23 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 07:23 AM

italteen3;

I just got some Ti myself (18-120m),
Have you done any other experimenting with it?

As from the PFP, the PGI salute comp calls for an added +8-15% Ti. The ratios aren't the standard 70/30 nor are they nitrate based as your useing but I figure this amount is still valid and a good reference.

Ti "increases flash's sensitivity" so just be extra careful.
There's so many things that can be enhanced with Ti not just flash. Rockets, fountains, gerbs, stars, comets, it all sounds good and I can't wait to try it out, let me know how you do.

What is a good, powerful, and perhaps slightly-safer-than-the-other-flash-powder composition?

Nothings safe, but heres a mild one;

Potassium Nitrate 60
Sulfur 10
Dark pyro AL 30

For a slower KCl04 flash use a more course mesh Al.
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#24 Chaz

Chaz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 02:52 PM

I would make 70/30 Flash but my Aluminium is not good enough. Its atomised, rather than flake, which doesnt work for flash. 70/30 (KClO3/Al) wont even burn, 50/50 will however just its very slow.

Anyone mind sharing a source for flake aluminium? And no, I'm not willing to get it from silver paint, neither am I going to make it myself from foil or from drinks cans. There must be a proper supplier for the stuff.

Edited by Chaz, 27 June 2004 - 02:53 PM.

#25 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 27 June 2004 - 08:17 PM

Here's a few:
Skylighter
United nuclear
I think United Nuclear is currently sold out, but Skylighter sells 8 micron aluminum, much better than German aluminum.

#26 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 04:01 AM

italteen3;

I just got some Ti myself (18-120m),
Have you done any other experimenting with it?

As from the PFP, the PGI salute comp calls for an added +8-15% Ti. The ratios aren't the standard 70/30 nor are they nitrate based as your useing but I figure this amount is still valid and a good reference.

Ti "increases flash's sensitivity" so just be extra careful.
There's so many things that can be enhanced with Ti not just flash. Rockets, fountains, gerbs, stars, comets, it all sounds good and I can't wait to try it out, let me know how you do.

Nothings safe, but heres a mild one;

Potassium Nitrate          60
Sulfur                          10
Dark pyro AL                30

For a slower KCl04 flash use a more course mesh Al.

Yeah I made up a bunch of small small batches of flash and experimented with Ti ratios. Tryed 10% and it worked perfect so I just continued from there, but thanks anyway for your help dfk.

I kinda figured out the hard way (nothing bad) that Ti makes flash more sensitive, but I didnt think up to five times as sensitive. Made a 10g batch of flash and added a gram of Ti. Thought maybe twice as sensitive, so I had the flash/Ti mix on a piece of newspaper out in the open and a piece of visco going into the pile and did my usual 20-30 foot retreat. I figured at most 2x as sensitive so that means 25g unconfined would behave the same way as in a tube. Well it turned out people all around me heard it. My mom pulled into the driveway when someone walking on the street stopped her and said there was an explosion near my house :ph34r: . I now know not to do that anymore. Sure scared me half to death expecting a little poof and flash but whoa.

No one was hurt nor any damage, just scared myself and a few others around the neighborhood.

No other testing yet as I am waiting for my ball mill to come in, but when it does I will be doing plenty of testing.

#27 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:46 AM

That wasn't really more sensitive than you expected, rather more powerful. I think that the main way titanium makes flash more sensitive is to friction or shock ignition, as the particles of titanium are very hard and grind into eachother, like the gravel in a torpedo.

#28 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:17 PM

Yes there is a difference between sensitivity and 'power'. 10g is an awful lot of flash to be setting of in a populated area. I don't think you should have done more than 1g. Did you start with 10% and were happy with it? If so, try reducing the amount, and use as little as you can for safety and cost sake.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#29 Chaz

Chaz

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:42 PM

Here's a few:
Skylighter
United nuclear
I think United Nuclear is currently sold out, but Skylighter sells 8 micron aluminum, much better than German aluminum.

I know about pyrotechnic suppliers in the US, I was talking about UK suppliers.

#30 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:49 PM

if your making a 3" aerial salute do you fill it with flash? i guessing not. you would make it all bp with a flash center? Also does anyone know the risk of a salute using flash, going off in the tube from shock of the lift charge?
Thanks
bob
I like blue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users