823 replies to this topic

#31 chim-chim

chim-chim

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:56 PM

Ti is very dense compared to flash.
I imagine the sheer weight of it greatly reduces flashes self-containment mass, normally 50g or so for 70/30, apparently in the nieghborhood of 10g if you add enough Ti. :blink:

"does anyone know the risk of a salute using flash, going off in the tube from shock of the lift charge?"

What he said? I second that question.

Be careful.
-Chim-Chim

It's gonna take a lot of fireworks to clean this place up.
-Homer Simpson

#32 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 10:10 PM

A 3" aerial salute is often filled completely with flash powder, as are 5" aerial salutes. The maltese regularly use around a kilo of chlorate flash in their large bottom shots, and these monster shells always usually make it out of the tubes.

The chance of flash going off from the shock of the lift charge is very small. Always use perchlorate flash for added safety.

#33 dfk

dfk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 12:31 AM

Ti sensitizes flashes ignition but has no effect on the power of it.
Ti is used to add a snowball of sparks hence the added sensitivity.
Marcus; 'In the practice of manipulating fire for 4 years'

#34 bobconan

bobconan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 30 June 2004 - 05:47 PM

O sweet god. I made a 2-1/2" salute with a mix of pyrodex and goex with a flash core and i thought it was loud. i thought I shat myself that day.thinking of a 3" shell filled with flash makes me shake.
I like blue

#35 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 05:06 AM

I recently did a show, with a few rockets that propelled maybe like 200-500 feet into the air, and had burst charges with flash powder. I'll try to edit this post with the video file link. Anyway, this flash powder seems to make a big flash, but not quite as powerful:
70 Potassium permanganate
30 dark pyro aluminum (600 mesh)
More aluminum, brighter flash, less powerful. I used that, and it didn't have a massive report, despite the some 50 grams that were in the end charges along with the stars. The stars and comets came out fine, and the guy said he should have charged admission. Anyhow, I know how permanganate is a very questionable substance, and I made it and used it within 6 hours; I'm not sure exactly how safe it is, but don't do this unless you know what your doing.
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#36 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 08:52 AM

A 3" aerial salute is often filled completely with flash powder, as are 5" aerial salutes. The maltese regularly use around a kilo of chlorate flash in their large bottom shots, and these monster shells always usually make it out of the tubes.

The chance of flash going off from the shock of the lift charge is very small. Always use perchlorate flash for added safety.

I consider such a device a complete stupidity. It is one of those cases that I thank the law for banning it.

#37 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 10:16 AM

At one point the general public could buy upto 5" aerial salute shells! In my opinion it's a very good job these were banned and made Cat 4.

I think noise does play an important role in a firework display, and it is certainly a characteristic of many european displays. In the hands of professionals, aerial maroons are quite acceptable, although I would not advocate that anyone ever tries making such kinds of firework outside of controlled conditions in a licenced factory.

Flash needs treating with total respect ALWAYS.

#38 neo

neo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 07:30 PM

If I use this flash
Potassium nitrate.........................50
Sulfur............................................30
Aluminum......................................20
and adding som dextrin, can I use them as stars?
Incase not, how do I get an loud bang and an whit flash?
Pyrotechnics, the art of fire!

#39 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 09 July 2004 - 09:03 PM

Yes, you can add a binder to this formula to use it for stars. If you use a water based binder (like dextrin) be aware that the aluminium and KNO3 can react, spoiling the stars and possibly causing spontaneous ignition. If this happens, they'll start to smell of ammonia and you need to dump them outside. This can be prevented by adding +1% boric acid. It is also much less likely to happen if you bind them with a non aqueous binder system (like shellac and alcohol). +5% of either binder is good. Either way, dry them somewhere that they won't do any harm if they do ignite (like outside).

#40 neo

neo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:46 AM

okay... But it says that I should use aluminum dark pyro, dut I cant find it were I live! Is it okay to use fine aluminum flakes?

#41 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:11 AM

Depends on your definition of 'fine'. Flitters aren't going to cut it, but pigment grade bright flake will.

#42 neo

neo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 11:51 AM

This is what I can find:
Aluminum around 25mesh
Aluminum atomized <44mesh
And aluminum german black <45mesh

Flitter? What?s that?
(I don't live in any English country...)

#43 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 04:18 PM

Are you sure about those mesh numbers?

Flitters are large flakes around +20 mesh and up used in firefly stars, driver compositions and falls. The big flat particles give long hang-times and are thin and reactive enough to burn silver easily as they drift around.

If that's real German Black then there isn't much better for flash! I wouldn't waste it in stars, bright Al flakes or atomised Al ischeaper. Really depends on what you are trying to achieve, dismembering yourself with a flash salute is easy, making a good star is a challenge.

#44 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 09:23 PM

So ball-milling aluminum foil actually works?
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#45 neo

neo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 July 2004 - 10:13 PM

Sorry? I thought that ??m? means ?mesh? but now I know what it means?
It is:
Aluminium 25 ?m
Aluminium atomized <44 ?m
Aluminium german black <45 ?m

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)