823 replies to this topic

#316 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 11:51 AM

Pyromaster, the item you describe, IS a H.E. compound, so please do not even think of making it. It is not really used much these days to my knowledge, but was used in the second world war as a filler for mines by the Japanese.

H.E's can certailnly be made by mixing chemical powders together.

Not sure if we should be discussing this subject, on this forum tho, so enough said!

#317 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:50 PM

Carry on like that BigBang and i'll have to make you a moderator :D On a serious note, I would not experiment with such esoteric compositions. It is best to stick with the tried and tested formula, and even then, all flash powders should be used sparingly.

#318 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 09:05 AM

Me as a moderator, mmmm, now theres a thought! *he says, flexing his cane* B)

#319 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:24 AM

Cheers for the info/advice on that one lads i was thinking of testing it for myself but knowing it is a HE il leave it.

Im going to try increase the burn rate of flash powder by making it into a granular form, il post the results in a couple of days maybe. Obviously i won't be pressing it and crushing it though.

#320 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:11 AM

Why bother? It burns more than fast enough already.

#321 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, Richard is right. You can do another thing: Put some fluffy material in it and shake it a bit. It is used to fill bottom shots for canister shells. So you can save alot of material and the boom gets louder because there is more air in the casing...

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#322 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:33 PM

I dont know how you intend to make it into a granular form, but i can assure you it wont speed up the reaction. Flash relies on the close contact of the materials (the finer the better) to propagate heat thru the composition. Aluminium is an excellent conductor of heat, and that is why it is such a fast reaction. If you introduce air pockets, it will only slow the reaction down.

It works with BP coz the air pockets actually increase the speed of heat transfer. This is because the chems used in BP are collectively bad conductors of heat, worse than air, so introducing 'air pockets' will speed up the reaction. I hope this makes sense.

I have carried out extensive tests using standard (and non-standard!!) flash and the basic 7:3 mix is the best.

If you want a faster flash comp. you'll have to look at more exotic mixes. These exist, i can assure you, but altho more powerful, are much more dangerous as well. My advise is to stick to the industry standard.

#323 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

Cheers for the info/advice on that one lads i was thinking of testing it for myself but knowing it is a HE il leave it.

Im going to try increase the burn rate of flash powder by making it into a granular form, il post the results in a couple of days maybe. Obviously i won't be pressing it and crushing it though.

First, like everyone said, you will not gain anything by putting it into granular form. In any case, since you should be making only few grams of it at a time, your will make very few grains. Better not mess with it at all. A small flash bag will do.

Let?s be clear about it. Flash IS HE. The only reason we allow its discussion on this forums is because it is used in fireworks. But the idea of making it stronger/louder/boommeier is really nor something we would like to encourage, so please retain from it. On the other end, if you like to discuss how to make it safer (which in my dictionary means not to make it at all and use alternatives), you will get full support.

#324 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:02 PM

Thanks for the replies that's saved wasting chemicals and time!

I dont think flash powder is a HE though it's been said in many places that it isn't as it doesn't detonate.

The only reason i wanted to make it faster and more powerful was simply to get a louder bang with half the powder used for things such as big rockets with flash reports.

Can we not discuss more powerful, faster burning flash compositions on this thread as it is on topic!?

#325 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

Yes we can, but sensibly. But to do this you are going to have to add some components that will most likely sensitize the mixture, and like others have said - it's not worth it.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#326 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 06:48 PM

I understand that a more powerful flash powder would be even more sensitive and dangerous but working carefully with small amounts (a gram or less) and using PPE will make me happy enough to experiment with different compositions.

BigBang could you us in on these exotic flash powders you say exist?

#327 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:24 PM

Some of the 'alternative' flash powders i have developed are very dangerous, even 1gram can do you a lot of damage, so i dont feel comfortable giving instructions on how to make them, on an open forum. That would be irresponsible (I dont think i would be allowed to anyway). If you are really that interested, PM me.

I can understand peoples fascination with flash, because i went through that phase, thats why i feel qualified to strongly recommend against messing with it, theres very little margin for error.

#328 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for the replies that's saved wasting chemicals and time!

I dont think flash powder is a HE though it's been said in many places that it isn't as it doesn't detonate.

The only reason i wanted to make it faster and more powerful was simply to get a louder bang with half the powder used for things such as big rockets with flash reports.

Can we not discuss more powerful, faster burning flash compositions on this thread as it is on topic!?

Well, this is an old argument - but the opinions are still split of whether flash classifies as HE or not. I say - if there is such an argument, then even if it's not HE, it's darn close to one. 2g of flash can take off your finger. PPE will do very little to help you.

If Bigbang Flash mixtures are chlorate based or using trisulphides then you will be moving into the HE category, and frankly, if your argument is that you can't spare 12g of flash (which is the twice the maximum allowed in ANY UK device) then that's a fairly poor argument.

I wonder when does one reach his beloved bang limit. When he reaches 180Db or scars some skin?

P.S. Well done Bigbang for the post. I would be even giving you a bigger cheer if you won't provide this by PM either. I would lose a few nights of sleep if I would make a suggestion regarding highly dengerous composions to someone who is little known to me. But I guess that is just me.

Edited by BigG, 03 July 2006 - 10:47 PM.

#329 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:13 AM

Fair dos im not exactly best mates with BigBang but im not exactly an idiot as iv worked with all sorts of compositions, not saying im an expert but i have had a fair amount of experience with energetic mixtures and know what to expect and what can go wrong.

About the 12 grams of flash aswel, its not only the amount of chemicals im using but the space it takes up in the device and type of confinement it needs or whatever.

Also when working with small amounts of these compositions PPE can help as a visor could stop paper bits going into your eyes and thick leather gloves could save a finger or two. Obviously though when working with larger batches it wont do jack sh*t to stop arms and legs being torn off!

About posting in open forums maybe a thread could be set up that is locked so that only members can view it then these exotic flash comps can be discussed and experimented with more fully. But if you don't want these comps getting out to anyone it's obviously understood.

#330 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 12:23 AM

If you read the literature, the nature of such compositions suggest themselves without much thought really.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users