823 replies to this topic

#331 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:38 AM

Oright fair dos it would maybe be best left writen down and not tampered with as likely some fool would blow their hand off! :rolleyes:

I don't know what it is but it fascinates me to make energetic mixtures and i love experimenting safely with them. I don't mean to*ch ex*losives because as much as iv been tempted to try this experiment its a bit too dangerous. I have made Per*xides in the past a couple of times and they are the most sensitive powders i have used and they are stupidly sensitive (only made a gram or so for experimenting with before anyone says out). And like i said i would use small amounts with all sorts of protective gear on just to see how these mixtures react first hand.

Iv got some Mg powder milling into a fiiiiine dust as i type :):) its looking good and im only using steel chrome balls and a paint tin!

#332 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:54 AM

Some words of warning. A well respected and experienced member of rec.pyrotechnics was seriously injured last year milling magnesium in a ball mill. The resulting fire and intense UV light caused very nasty burns to the arms. You are flirting with disaster if you do not know what you are doing.

Secondly, we do not discuss HE of any kind here for obvious reasons.

http://www.bobforward.com/magmill.htm

#333 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

Yes but wasnt he using steel media that sparks (i think that a spark set the Mg off?) and i am using steel balls with a chrome coating and im sure chrome doesnt spark. Very unlucky incident with that guy though looks very painful glad it healed up fine though. Im using lead media now anyway as the steel/chrome where not sufficient - too light.

I wasn't trying to discuss HE i was just stating that i have experimented with extremely sensitive materials but it wont be mentioned again sorry.

Edited by Pyromaster2003, 04 July 2006 - 10:34 AM.

#334 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:51 AM

It is believed impact caused the ignition. The media used was stainless non-sparking.

#335 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:12 AM

Oright i see well il just have to be more careful and not just plonk em in.

BTW just tested some Mg/KCLO3/Zn flash and it was extremely fast and produced a very loud bang using under a gram in an ink cartridge. Can't wait to test the Mg that milling now, will have been running for a good 12 hours, lol shame its only 10 grams.

#336 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:30 PM

In an ink cartridge?? A printer cartridge or a fountain pen cartridge?? Either way, you should not be testing, or using flash mixtures in a high-density plastic container!

What's wrong with paper these days?
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#337 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 07:45 PM

No not a printer cartridge just a fountain pen one. The thing is when im testing powders its just easier and quicker to just pour a couple of mg of flash into the cartridge put a fuse in and tape the fuse in place. Plus cradboard tubes are expensive these days and the only sizes i have make too much noise for my area with houses in every direction. I don't think they are made from HDPE as they are soft and don't shatter when the banger goes off.

#338 lew

lew

Hi. Im Barry Scott!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 09:19 PM

Pyromaster, reading your posts over the last few pages in this subject, it seems that you are intent on carring out some very dangerous experiments/practices.

Milling reactive metals is not always a good idea if you dont have the right equipment. Plated steel balls can eaisily loose their thin coating over time. Paint tins are probably made of steel as well. All sparking materiels.

You may not have too much luck with lead media, as magnesium is a wee bit harder and will probably grind away the lead quicker than the lead will grind the magnesium. Even if it does work to a degree, you will probably have a large percentage of lead dust in the powder.

You are probably just better getting it already powdered from a supplier. Chances are it will be safer than milling it yourself. Try www.hobbychem.co.uk for a range of powdered metals.

But please bear in mind, as mentioned before, even a fraction of a gram of decent flash is enough to remove digits.

Just take it easy, and don't always be in such a rush to make the biggest bang.

stay green. (and don't blow up your spleen!!)

#339 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:37 PM

Yes i understand the experiments are dangerous but i work safely so i should eliminate most if not all of the problems.

Can't believe i over looked the possibility of the chrome coating coming off over time thanks a lot for the advice on that one. Luckily the other day however i swapped the balls for lead ones, they are hardened i think and are doing an ok job atm but i will just see how it goes, if too much lead is being worn away il have to try something else.

I would buy it but its too expensive, i might be buying a block of MgAl soon though, that will then be milled to powder some how!

Cheers

#340 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 03:54 PM

The alloy of magnesium and aluminium is very brittle, its easily powdered. Pyromaster, your posts are starting to worry me. Magnesium powder is very very reactive, if you have one accident you will be burnt in some way. Magnesium can get oxygen from almost anything! You have to understand every aspect of working with it. Please be careful, we can only guide you but remember alot of the people here are very experienced and know the dangers. Taking shortcuts will lead to disaster, get the correct equipment and then resume your experimentation.

#341 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

when im testing powders its just easier and quicker

"easier and quicker" should not go in the same sentence as flash. The quick mixtures you talk about don't need tubes to test - a couple of folds of paper would produce a loud crack. I am afraid that you may end up injuring yourself. It doesnt matter how "safely" you work, when you are working with the types of comps you talk about, you are increasing the stakes, to what I would personally see as unacceptable levels!
But hey - it's your choice.
I know I would quit while I was ahead.
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#342 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 07:01 PM

I'm still shaking, I made a semi large salute with 6 grams of 70/30, my brother lit it outside near my house like an idiot, bloody thing sounded like a b0m3 - never again am I messing with that stuff, back to black powder I go. I'm sure it could be heard miles away. This stuff is too dangerous to be messing with, if that salute would have went off in my brothers hand I would never forgive myself; it could have easily taken his hand clean off.

Let this be a warning to everyone; no matter how safe you think you are, an accident could be fatal and you would only have one chance, I thought the idea of flash sounded good; Now I'm scared of the stuff and it's doubtful that I'll touch it again for some time.

Anyways, gotta finish watching this film and get to bed, but please, please take in the fact that anybody wanting to make flash for the first time should never do it in such large scale as I've heard some people doing. If they do intend to try flash, make a very very small amount and please be extra careful about it.

Peace.
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#343 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:08 PM

While your words of warning are certainly true, I find it alarming the attitudes shown towards such dangerous compositions by a few people in this thread. If there is anything that is going to get you into trouble, it is preparing exploding fireworks, never mind leaving them lying around for people with no comprehension of the danger they are putting themselves and others in!

I find it disturbing that people as young as yourselves are preparing such dangerous items without the knowledge of what you are doing. This thread raises some serious questions.

#344 Rip Rap

Rip Rap

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:30 PM

I'm still shaking, I made a semi large salute with 6 grams of 70/30, my brother lit it outside near my house like an idiot, bloody thing sounded like a b0m3 - never again am I messing with that stuff, back to black powder I go.

6 grams of flash - "SEMI LARGE"!!?? Sorry - but that is a huge ground salute!

For the benefit of people who have little / no experience of flash & may be thinking of making it, the quantities you are reading about may sound small - but:

several years ago I made a small batch of 70/30 perc/german dark flake flash. I put a small pile - 0.25 gm - on a flat piece of wood to test. Totally unconfined, on a flat piece of wood.
The fuse burnt to the flash - bang!! - it blew the piece of wood into 4 or 5 bits! Later inspection revealed that a miniscule proportion (0.01 gm??) must have got into a minute crack in the wood. However much it was, the rediculously small amount, was enough with virtually no confinement, to result in a salute with enough force to split the wood & scatter it over several feet.

"Standard" 70/30 flash demands respect - give it!
"Choose a job that you love & you will never do a days work in your life!"

#345 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 09:56 PM

While your words of warning are certainly true, I find it alarming the attitudes shown towards such dangerous compositions by a few people in this thread. If there is anything that is going to get you into trouble, it is preparing exploding fireworks, never mind leaving them lying around for people with no comprehension of the danger they are putting themselves and others in!

I find it disturbing that people as young as yourselves are preparing such dangerous items without the knowledge of what you are doing. This thread raises some serious questions.

I don't think you quite realise how dangerous something is till you actually see the potential of these things. With all honesty, 6 grams seemed reasonable at the time, but I have the maturity to admit my mistakes and I realise it was a stupid thing to do. My brother is hardly a child at 28 and he knew exacly what was in the salute. Not dismissing my mistake but I think you are looking at the matter a little obtuse. I do carry the proper safety equiptment and I handle every compsition with great care.

6 grams of flash - "SEMI LARGE"!!?? Sorry - but that is a huge ground salute!

No need to be sorry, I realise now that it was OTT, I didn't truely understand the power at the time of making it. I do now.

That said, it wont be happening again, these things are not fun at all.

Regards,

Drew (with all 10 digits)
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users