• Please log in to reply
823 replies to this topic

#481 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 01:54 PM

I strongly advise everyone against almost everything in this last post!

the volumes he is quoting are ridiculous! 500g+ of flash is massively dangerous and a maximum of 40g is strongly advised.

NEVER screen flash IT WILL almost definitely eventually cause an accident.

don't store large amounts of flash.

squeezy bottles are not suitable for dispensing flash. Also these types of bottles are usually clip top so can cause friction of the contents trapped in the lid.

MADNESS!

#482 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:06 PM

There is no way in hell i would mix 560 grams of flash, if it ignites it will kill you. Im paranoid making 10g of normal 70/30 flash.
Dude, your f**king nuts doing that!

The first explosion is 1 pound (roughly 500g), i dont see much left of that thick wooden wardrobe thingy. I imagine there would be even less if there was a human in front of it.

Edited by marble, 05 July 2007 - 02:12 PM.

#483 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

Rocketboy: This is insane, your getting a warning! Never screen flash and the ammounts your quoting are totally mad.

ANYONE READING THIS, DO NOT FOLLOW IT! ITS HIGHLY DANGEROUS, IF YOU HAVE TO MIX FLASH MAKE THE SMALLEST AMMOUNTS 5g WILL MAKE A LOUD REPORT AND EASILY HURT YOU!!!

The fact your screening it is one thing but screening it mixed with Sulphur is insane, lets hope you dont get a Darwin award for this!

#484 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

Rocket boy, I think you might wanna try making a little less FP at once if nothing else, that way if (when) things do go wrong, you hopefully just have minor burns, and not a pile of rubble and some unidentifiable body parts strewn randomly. You definately shouldn't be screening flash either, and storing it in a platic bottle could mean that as it runs down the sides it builds up a static charge, which is something you definately don't want. Also, the percentage should be 60:20:20.
edit: I didn't see there was another page, sorry.

Edited by Asteroid, 05 July 2007 - 06:06 PM.

#485 RangerOfFire

RangerOfFire

Snap, crackle, pop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

I've been making fireworks for years and my favorite mix for flash powder is ..75% potassium perchlorate, 25 % sulfur, and 25% dark pyro aluminum.

Isn't that 125% :wacko: You should always make your formula's add up to 100 and have +x for anything else like binders.
>> Status: General Testing

#486 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 06:56 PM

bored ,trawling through the internet i found a site they where mixing up 100g bags of flash by sticking the lot in a ziploc bag and giving it a good shake! christ theres some bad advise out there!i made 3g and was sh*tting myself

#487 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 12:27 AM

Irony: The original creator of that "advice" was from united nuclear...

#488 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Irony: The original creator of that "advice" was from united nuclear...

how did you find that out? and what do you think of that "advice" they think its ok :o

#489 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

It used to be on their website.

The Consumer product safety council in the US is kind of aggressive and made them shut down and stop distributing all things in regards to and related to Flash.

They send letters to just about anybody who orders perchlorate and dark aluminum about how likely they are to kill themselves even if there isn't direct evidence that somebody is trying to make flash.

#490 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:33 PM

----

Edited by MDH, 16 April 2008 - 09:30 PM.

#491 Gazza

Gazza

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 12:08 AM

Well, I am working on how to use electrolysis and wet chemistry to produce aluminium particles in the colloidal size range. Nothing ground-breaking, though.
I am trying to perfect the technique by producing copper colloids: I add fine zinc powder to a solution of copper sulphate. Zinc is higher up the reactivity series than copper, so it displaces copper from a solution of copper sulphate to give metallic copper. The zinc goes into solution, as zinc sulphate. This method often produces growths of dendritic (fern-like) copper, but a copper colloidal suspension of very small particle size can be achieved by adjusting the concentration of the copper sulphate and the pH. This might be a good method for producing copper powder of very fine particle size. I do'nt expect a nobel prize for this, though. :(
If solution chemistry does not work for aluminium, I will consider the high-temperature route, involving electrolysis and molten salts. I'll keep you posted on my progress......

#492 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 03:09 AM

This puzzles me. What kind of flash would you make out of extremely fine copper?

#493 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 05:56 AM

What about adding zinc slowly to a solution of Copper Sulfate running in a blender? It's possible to the turbulance would break up the copper metal as it's formed to form a very fine Cu powder at the end.

Edited by Mumbles, 24 October 2007 - 05:56 AM.

#494 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:11 PM

----

Edited by MDH, 16 April 2008 - 09:31 PM.

#495 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 04:49 AM

I just stirred the Copper sulphate solution as I added the Zinc dust, and got a very fine, and quite heavily oxidised Cu (s) ppt.

I tried it in the following blue star formula and it worked great! No pics sorry.

Potassium perchlorate 50 %
Dextrin 25
Parlon 10
Copper dust 10
Charcoal 3
Red Gum 2

Perhaps this should not be in the Flash thread...
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users