823 replies to this topic

#496 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:47 PM

If you can turn that into a flash somehow we'd be much obliged to honour you.

Yes I'm speaking for all of us...

Seriously though, copper powder flash. It's there for the grabs and nobody has done it. To my knowledge. Blue-green flash anyone?

#497 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 09:52 PM

hmm

I can get 500gm of copper powder fairly cheaply, might hold off a purchase till i can find another use for it if makes crap flash.

#498 Bonny

Bonny

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:14 PM

hmm

I can get 500gm of copper powder fairly cheaply, might hold off a purchase till i can find another use for it if makes crap flash.

I think there are some blue or green maybe star formulas around using copper powder...skylighter newsletters IIRC. Not sure how well they work though.

#499 TheExplosionist

TheExplosionist

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:01 PM

I found this article from North Korea on aluminium grinding: Aluminium flake from foil. This method will only produce microscopic powders. I need a method of electrolysis to produce coloidial aluminium powder. Once we combine this knowledge with the chemistry sections research into oxidiser electrolysis we will be able to produce more explosions.

#500 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 04:00 AM

-----

Edited by MDH, 16 April 2008 - 09:30 PM.

#501 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 09 November 2007 - 07:53 AM

Additionally if nobody minds I am having problems with Degn flash. My magnesium is relatively coarse (120-200 mesh) and I am using the correct ratios with a tad of sulfur to lower ignition, however, even with a large amount of confinement the flash tends to strobe out the fuse hole rather than properly disintegrating the tube.

I think my rather coarse PVC (80-90 mesh) may also be contributing.

This makes for good stars, but not much else.

By the way, my red is very rich...

#502 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:57 PM

Hello MDH

You can not make flash with 120-200mesh Mg. It needs to be much finer.
That Mg is good for stars and slow ammonium perc strobe stars.

#503 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:09 AM

I've used -100 mesh Mg for flashes on many occasions, and it worked fine. It is much more lenient toward particle size and shape than Aluminum. Would you mind sharing the formula, or at least the formula name/page from the Westech manual? I have several flashes attributed to Degn. The only ones with PVC I see also contain Paris Green, but I would assume this is not something you are using.

Edited by Mumbles, 13 November 2007 - 05:10 AM.

#504 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 05:42 AM

I've used -100 mesh Mg for flashes on many occasions, and it worked fine. It is much more lenient toward particle size and shape than Aluminum. Would you mind sharing the formula, or at least the formula name/page from the Westech manual? I have several flashes attributed to Degn. The only ones with PVC I see also contain Paris Green, but I would assume this is not something you are using.

They are the typical nitrate based formulas ralph devised (55 BaNO3, 45 MG, +2 PVC).

I do make stars out of this pressed in small tubes but otherwise I am still looking to make this into flash.

EDIT

Additionally I'd like any advice that could be provided for using Nitrate flash in less than one gram quantities. It seems to "fountain" if I do it with too little composition -- Is there any advice for consistent results with less than one gram?

Edited by MDH, 15 November 2007 - 08:08 AM.

#505 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:58 PM

I made a small 10 gram batch of 50-30-20 KNO3/S/Al today, using a very fine bright flake aluminium powder.
Tested it in a small pile and it was not very impressive in terms of burn rate.
So I thought what the hell, threw it all in a tube and made a salute out of it.
THAT was IMPRESSIVE :blink: loudest thing I ever heard!!!
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#506 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:52 AM

yeah, the sulphur really makes a difference, but very dangerous!, i did an anvil test with a milligram amount of perc sulphur flash and was shocked how loud such a small amount could be, not my cup of tea

#507 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:21 AM

Well generally speaking you don't ram sulphur flash powders with anvils while working with them.

#508 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:21 AM

Anyone know a good chlorate / aluminium formula?

The only ones I can find all involve either sulphur or sulfides which I do not wish to use.

#509 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 10:50 PM

Anyone know a good chlorate / aluminium formula?

The only ones I can find all involve either sulphur or sulfides which I do not wish to use.

Assuming you mean potassium chlorate, dont even think about making barium chlorate flash!

If you HAVE to make potassium chlorate flash (bear in mind its evil stuff, much more power than standard 70:30 potassium perchlorate based flash in my opinion) its possible just to substitute the perchlorate for chlorate and you have yourself a perfectly usable flash powder. I have used it in the past for 6mm salute rockets where standard perc based flash was not quite good enough, and would consider using it in crossettes to solve problems like jetting.

What was your application, might be able to think of something better/safer?
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#510 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 02:17 AM

Reports for rocket headers

Cant get potassium perchlorate but I can make oodles of potassium chlorate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users