• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#1 kaltogulash

kaltogulash

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 09:58 AM

I saw a fair amount of Potassium Nitrate for sale on ebay, say a week ago, from mutliple sellers, and now there is none.

I read something about the possibility of pyrotechnics laws being changed if England were to ever join the EU. Also, I seem to remember something about a person reviewing the current laws, something along those lines.
You'll have to forgive my memory, tis not one of the best.

Just wondering if any of the laws had changed, or if it has become more difficult to purchase said items.

- Sam

#2 Flashy

Flashy

Safety First!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 June 2004 - 05:49 PM

There is some if you look hard enough.

KN03

This link is in no way related to me. I am not the seller.

I think it is just that all the auctions have finished. Its much cheaper if you buy from a lab company.

Dave

Edited by Flashy, 28 June 2004 - 07:22 PM.

#3 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 05 July 2004 - 01:05 PM

Well, the seller you linked to above has just had their account suspended for selling guess what? :ph34r:

Looks like Ebay have finally stopped allowing people to list Oxidisers. Sellers who previously listed lots of items, including Kn03 are now just listing the non-hazardous ones. Looks like a crack-down came from above...

#4 pyrodude

pyrodude

pyrodude

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 05:34 PM

It has! I used to sell loads of chems on ebay and then they all started getting deleted by ebay!!

#5 Patrick

Patrick

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:57 PM

Ebay still has KNO3 :glare:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...3834149623&rd=1

#6 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 01:11 AM

Hmm, thats 4 times cheaper than where i get it! (i know, i get ripped, but i cant find a decent place) Its a shame they will not ship outside america or canada. Getting materials in the USA seems so much easier. Its not fair! :(

#7 spawned

spawned

Firework Maker

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 07:28 AM

Use Garden Direct its cheap, easy to use and you can order up to 25kg at a time.
HHHHEEEEEEEEERRRRRRREEEES JOHNNY!!

#8 NUKE

NUKE

PyroFan

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:28 AM

Potassium Nitrate on Ebay seems to me realy expensive.I pay 1,60 euros a kilo here in Greece and maybe a lot cheaper if i had bought more.I think this happens because the KNO3 i buy isn't purified.But is this a problem?

#9 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 11:05 AM

You could recrystalize it, but it is not worth the work. Fertilizer-grade KNO3 is over 98% pure.

So I had not any problems with these KNO3 so far. Its pure enough.

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#10 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 August 2004 - 10:32 PM

I recently put in a batch of BP, and used KNO3 bought from ebay rather than skylighter or united nuclear. After being milled for around 8 hours, I checked on it, and I was thoroughly dissapointed! The, "BP", burnt with a red flame, very, very slowly, and it left considerable residue. I did weigh it correctly with a gram scale accurate to the 10th of a gram, and used willow charcoal, the same batch that has done me wonders in the past. I milled it over night, and in the morning, it was still fairly slow. It is getting better, and I suspect that within the next 6 hours it should be actual black powder. So, I am suspecting that my KNO3 source on Ebay was the problem in this situation.
I doubt this is 98% pure KNO3, and I will be recrystalizing it for future batches.
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#11 pyro4life

pyro4life

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 01:36 PM

Recently I bought a couple of Kg of KNO3 from GD, it was a really off white colour and gave much more of a red than lilac flame colour than KNO3 I have bought from them before. Might be the same stuff.........

#12 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 21 August 2004 - 03:46 PM

I got 500 g of KNO3 off eBay once as an experiment. It was shocking, it smelt like "dynamic lifter" despite being quite nice and white. It barely burnt even with the best charcoal I have. I figure it was actually a general purpose fertilizer, around half potassium nitrate if it was lucky. There are a lot of shonks on eBay selling chemicals.

#13 miniskinny

miniskinny

Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 04:02 AM

well, I finished milling up the BP, and it turned out fairly decent, after 48 hours of milling. I tested some stars with it, and riced some to test to see how decent the lifting capabilites are. It's still drying out a little, so I'll report how the lifting goes soon.
When one plays with fire, one is bound to get burndt.

#14 Kai

Kai

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:07 PM

There is some if you look hard enough.

KN03

This link is in no way related to me. I am not the seller.

I think it is just that all the auctions have finished. Its much cheaper if you buy from a lab company.

Dave

Ive been looking for some KN03 and this seems to be a good resource:
http://www.aquaessen...products_id=522
they use paypal and nochex so its not going to be logged on any credit cards etc.. just incase..

#15 Guest_Shrubsole_*

Guest_Shrubsole_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

Just two points:

As far as I know England (as part of the UK) is already a part of the EU and has been for many years.

and

As stated above, Garden Direct is your friend!

You simply can't get cheaper than their 25kg bag and it takes a long time to run out!

:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users