Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:01 PM

Ive been looking for some KN03 and this seems to be a good resource:
http://www.aquaessen...products_id=522
they use paypal and nochex so its not going to be logged on any credit cards etc.. just incase..

That's very strange for an aquarium shop to sell a nitrate fertiliser, the fish themselves produce far too much nitrate (via ammonia) which often needs removing by water changes, as even a very heavily planted aquarium tends not to remove it all. And seeing the nitrate is toxic to the fish themselves it seems bizarre to add it to the tank.

As this is hugely off topic, something relevant:
It seems the vast majority of the ebay listings for KNO3 are only selling garden direct material anyway, so you may as well go straight to GD, or another company, that I'd be wise not to mention or my delightful insight into fish will be removed.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#17 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:13 PM

That's very strange for an aquarium shop to sell a nitrate fertiliser, the fish themselves produce far too much nitrate (via ammonia) which often needs removing by water changes, as even a very heavily planted aquarium tends not to remove it all. And seeing the nitrate is toxic to the fish themselves it seems bizarre to add it to the tank.

Seems like all aquarium shops sell it, as it's required for healthy plant growth in fresh water aquaria. A careful balance is required, true, but any online search shows hundreds of sellers for aquarium KNO3, "dupla drops", formula for custom plant fertilizers for aquaria, etc. Might explain why my fish were healthy but my plants turned brown so often ?
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#18 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

Just two points:

As far as I know England (as part of the UK) is already a part of the EU and has been for many years.

and

As stated above, Garden Direct is your friend!

You simply can't get cheaper than their 25kg bag and it takes a long time to run out!

:)

You CAN get it cheaper than Garden Direct, much cheaper! I get mine for well under half the G.D. price :P

#19 Spudgun

Spudgun

Alex

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 04:35 PM

You CAN get it cheaper than Garden Direct, much cheaper! I get mine for well under half the G.D. price :P

:D go on...

#20 Guest_Shrubsole_*

Guest_Shrubsole_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:27 PM

Have I posted how much I like you and think that you are the greatest poster on here? :lol:

Still, GD's 25kg bag is still a lot cheaper than the fishy place posted on this thread:
£4.99 for 250g = £499 for 25kg !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o

No thanks!

#21 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 06:59 PM

Manged to get food grade KNO3 for £3.30/Kg as good as standard lab grade.

(Yes I know GD is cheaper)

Or find an ebay seller who's selling associated chems and negotiate.

Edited by EnigmaticBiker, 09 November 2006 - 07:05 PM.

#22 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

Seems like all aquarium shops sell it, as it's required for healthy plant growth in fresh water aquaria. A careful balance is required, true, but any online search shows hundreds of sellers for aquarium KNO3, "dupla drops", formula for custom plant fertilizers for aquaria, etc. Might explain why my fish were healthy but my plants turned brown so often ?

Maybe some more fish so there's extra nitrate, otherwise there is always the too low dissolved CO2 (air stone prehaps), or wrong/insufficient light (Strip light which is suitable for plant growth). I've always heard plants are harder to keep than fish, I go for good old plastic plants, they can't die. :)

Doesn't KNO3.COM sell some bargin KNO3? :rolleyes:
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#23 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 01:38 PM

Doesn't KNO3.COM sell some bargin KNO3? :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Of course, they have it specially delivered in dark blue vans or multi coloured cars.
The delivery guys are really keen to chat and happy, in fact insistent, that you come over to their place. :P

#24 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

Whoa......The price kno3.com are asking, i would expect it to be gold plated..!! :o

#25 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 02:50 AM

Forgive me if ive overlooked above posts but where can kn03 be bought in the UK in 25kg size? GD dont even have it on their site, it only seems to be up to 1kg that can be bought on the other sites

#26 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 03:09 AM

Ah I found it on GD, just needed to open my eyes :wacko: is there cheaper 25KG bags anywhere?

#27 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 05:40 PM

Hi guys,
i know of a place selling krysta k Kno3,at £10.50 per 25kg,but there is a minimum order of 5 bags,they are based in cornwall and if you are inside there delivery area,free delivery,i am in somerset and was just inside,so if a few of you got together,a bargain,if your interested pm me for details, :rolleyes:

#28 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Whoa......The price kno3.com are asking, i would expect it to be gold plated..!! :o

I wonder how that would effect the oxidising ability?

#29 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 06:51 PM

I wonder how that would effect the oxidising ability?

Not much, it's probably done for snob value by excessively rich US pyros :P

However, the gold BP is better for athritic Japanese pyros.

#30 FIZCRACLE

FIZCRACLE

FIZCRACLE

• UKPS Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

I saw a fair amount of Potassium Nitrate for sale on ebay, say a week ago, from mutliple sellers, and now there is none.

I read something about the possibility of pyrotechnics laws being changed if England were to ever join the EU. Also, I seem to remember something about a person reviewing the current laws, something along those lines.
You'll have to forgive my memory, tis not one of the best.

Just wondering if any of the laws had changed, or if it has become more difficult to purchase said items.

- Sam

Hi I couldn't help notice you were looking for Potassium Nitrate , there is a sella called goonburger on Ebay, his email address is (luggmunch@gmail.com) I just had 3 killos @ about £36,
Iam new here today, and would like to get started, I used to mess around with BP etc 30 years ago when it was considered a bit dodgy to talk about it, but now it seems many people are getting stuck in, gerards Tim.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users