129 replies to this topic

#46 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 04:45 PM

Were in the UK can I get the book 'Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics' i have tried amazon but it didnt come up with anything?!
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#47 lord_dranack

lord_dranack

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:55 PM

Would Copper Sulphate work for clean up?

Probably, but it would create clean up issues of its own. It would be better to use magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts) as these are quite safe.

#48 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:32 PM

Were in the UK can I get the book 'Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics' i have tried amazon but it didnt come up with anything?!

View Post

It has no UK distributor and is produced by Skylighter, so it's the only place you are likley to get it. Question was asked and answered before.

#49 green flame

green flame

Musician

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:36 PM

If you have no ball mill, then surely the finest powder will suit your needs best.  Green meal requires very fine powders to start.

View Post

Thanx, creepin pyro what do you guys think of james yawns improved sugar propellant (http://www.jamesyawn...oved/index.html)

im quite intrested in trying this kno3/sugar propellant ? just wondered what your views were

thanks Aj :)

#50 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:09 PM

Thanx, creepin pyro what do you guys think of james yawns improved sugar propellant (http://www.jamesyawn...oved/index.html)

im quite intrested in trying this kno3/sugar propellant ? just wondered what your views were

thanks Aj  :)

View Post

again - about 20 posts or so on the subject. PLEASE search. Sugar propellant, Candy propellant etc. No need to restart the whole thing again.

#51 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:02 PM

GD KNO3 will need powdering before it is of any use in compositions, so you'll need to find some way of grinding it (and everything else).

However, it may well be worth getting the powdered sulphur, as sulphur is a pain in the neck to mill without Cabosil, especially if you will be using a pestle and mortar.

Patrick, copper nitrate and the excess copper sulphate won't be a whole lot better than barium nitrate, so you won't do much good that way. Anyway, K and Mg sulphates are cheaper (though I guess you were asking because you've already got Cu sulphate...)

Broadsword, you'll find pyrotechnic literature is very scarce in the UK. I don't believe that IPP is available anywhere other than Skylighter. I'm afraid Skylighter are currently having a general price increase right now. The price of IPP doesn't seem to have been updated just yet, so if you're quick (i.e. order it today) you might just avoid it, but they plan to have all prices updated by tomorrow.

#52 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:50 PM

Would/could anyone photocopy me the whole 'Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics' book? I would pay ofcourse! :)

#53 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:03 PM

Would/could anyone photocopy me the whole 'Introductory Practical Pyrotechnics' book? I would pay ofcourse! :)

View Post

Now Now! That would only be legal if you had the direct permission of the copyright holder [Mr Peregrin]. We can't condone illegal activities of this sort!

Tell you what. If cost is an issue, why don't you go down to your local library and ask about "an interlibrary loan" [you'll need the ISBN number]. That should sort you out with a copy in about the time it takes Skylighter to deliver. OK you'll have to give it back after the loan period is up, but at least you'd be able to read it cheaply....

#54 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:07 PM

Just buy it you tight arse. :) My copy is on the way as we speak from Skylighter along with a few tasty chems including parlon and chlorowax. :D

#55 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:06 AM

:P LOL, Look afta the pennies :P

CAn Someone give me the ISBN number baecause i am going to buy it from a local supplier!

Edited by broadsword, 24 November 2004 - 01:23 AM.

#56 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 09:44 AM

View Post

Any other smart ideas? I wonder if I should drop Mr Perigrin a note about how easily you are willing to not pay for his three years of work on the book, and his endless dedication for promoting new comers into the field.

The item is non-cataloged book. As far as I'm aware, it has no ISBN.

#57 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:42 PM

:P LOL, Look afta the pennies :P

CAn Someone give me the ISBN number baecause i am going to buy it from a local supplier!

View Post

Good luck with that! I've done an extensive inter-library loan search, and the only thing I could find was Weingart's Pyrotechnics.

#58 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:58 PM

I now work 4 an international book supplier that is just sown the road from me! They will endevor to get me any book I want! :P

#59 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:24 PM

Hehe, I suppose that should make things easier....

I'd be interested to know what they're able to get their hands on, in terms of pyrotechnic literature.

#60 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

Maybe a bit of a dumb question but.....

How do you add binders to pyro comps.

I usually do it like this.

Damp the mixture with some water and add (Sprinkle) the needed amount of some binder to the mixture.

Something seriously wrong here ?

Take care

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users