• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:02 AM

Last Night i made a fountain with iron powder and aluminium powder.
I had 3 parts Bp to 1 part iron powder in the frist fountain and that went fine.
But then on the larger fountain i did pretty much the same 3 to 1 mix with aluminium powder. I layered the mixes up so that it went (from the bottom) Iron, aluminium, iron, aluminium. and then just befor the clay choke i had some plain BP.

It was certainly a good fountain with an amazing start! but afer it had cooled on close inspection it had LOADS of slag around the top of the choke?

I wasnt sure why this was because there wasn't any on the first fountain.
Any thoughts?

View Post

When pressing, I hope, your fountains. In between each layer or every so often press a small layer of BP in to help clear the choke up. It kind of blows any blockage out of the way. I cant remember where on here but I think Ive read it is a good solution to helping prevent catos if your fountain starts fine then boom.

#122 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 01:32 PM

When pressing, I hope, your fountains.  In between each layer or every so often press a small layer of BP in to help clear the choke up.  It kind of blows any blockage out of the way.  I cant remember where on here but I think Ive read it is a good solution to helping prevent catos if your fountain starts fine then boom.

View Post

I have never had the problem with CATo because the force of the BP burinin jst forces all the slag out of the way! but i will try that solution, thanks :)
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#123 al69

al69

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 12:26 PM

hi i was wondering whether you can ball mill iron fillings?. i know that when you ball mill aluminium, you need to make sure it has a layer of oxide, because if it doesnt then it might spontaneously combust when you open the ball mill. (by the way i have ceramic media)

i was also wondering if the iron can cause a spark inside the ball mill while its being knocked against each other?. And if it did would it combust/explode?.

thanks
check out my ebay sales
http://search.ebay.c...ssZpyromaster69

#124 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 06:18 PM

I maybe mistaken, but i think there is a very low possibility, but still some that ceramic media can spark.
You might want to check that. Milling any metals to a fine powder is dangerous, especially with media that may spark.
Posted Image
:)

#125 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 12:10 AM

Yes, iron can spark by the way. I don't know if a ball mill will impart enough force for it to happen though. The Fe will be embeded in your media, and I would NEVER use them again for the chance of it sparking.

#126 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:49 AM

Iron + grinding = bad idea. Who wants to chance the possibility of getting a spark, and as Mumbles correctly says, there is a good chance of getting the iron embedded in the milling media (especially if it is lead).

Find another way of reducing the size of the iron. Just don't use a ball mill (or coffee grinder etc!)
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#127 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

If you have a seperate jar for metals, and some stainless steel media then that would be a safe way to go about it.

#128 Pieman

Pieman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:06 PM

I've had quite alot of luck with fountians, and am quite pleased with my BP, what is the next logical step (learning to walk before i can run) I really want to be able to make at least one more thing before my birthday (november 5th!!!) so i thought i should get practicing now. I was thinking roman candles? what do you suggest?
Here The Forsaken

#129 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:33 AM

If you have fountains working well and consistently then I would suggest trying wheels or saxons. If your fountains have a good enough choke (say 1/3 case i.d.) and the composition is fierce enough then they should be ideal as turning cases / drivers for wheels.

Roman candles are more tricky than you might think! Once you've tried wheels maybe start experimenting with putting your bp to use in lifting comets, and then move on to roman candles.

#130 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:41 AM

If your BP is up to lifting things, then small mines are a very realistic and pretty option. You'd be amazed how high a 1" mine shoots. 4" mines are nice too, but not a very good starting project.
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users