1235 replies to this topic

#196 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:15 AM

As i'm sure some of you are aware, there were quite a few chemicals available on ebay relating to pyro hobbies in the past year or so, but recently they've all dissappeared.

View Post

I think this is because there are no real companies that are willing to stand up to ebay's abuse

Well, a friend of mine (a respectable young guy - he's a student who just likes to build fireworks, rockets and mess around a bit, like we all do to some extent) bought some KNO3, S, Amonium nitrate and cardboard tubes etc from some German guy on ebay who had his own little shop selling chemicals. Now, he didn't buy huge quantities of stuff, but i suspect that the 1kg of Ammonium nitrate was what really caught the authorities eye.

View Post

AN does catch the proverbial eye, does not really matter what quantity.

Anyway, this purchase was a one off and it was made in 2003. At some point afterwards the German guy got raided, and my friends details were found along with many others. Interpol got in touch with the UK police and he was arrested on anti-terrorism charges. The police held him for just under a day, while they searched his flat.

View Post

This sounds a bit harsh to me, having had direct experience of this, but then again I may have had a little bit of the old 'wink wink nod nod'. Given today?s climate, one may be forgiven for thinking that armed raids are necessary in 100% of cases. Not so, even arrest warrants under the new anti-terrorism act are used sparingly, precautions are made before intended raids but SO-13 will usually have a chat first and invite you to the station before arresting you. They will only perform a forced raid should their be intel that the people there are a bit dodgy or a complete lack of intel. Even so they don't just rush in a nick everything in sight, this is illegal unless you are doing something dodgy and leg it. If you co-operate they will only arrest you if they know, or suspect you are going to, or have committed a crime. Saying ?no comment? like a dick head will only get you nicked.

The police are servants of the realm and have to adhere to the laws just as anyone else. They are far too often subjected to over zealous scrutiny so they do everything by the book. The power of arrest is only used when there is evidence that the person they are holding is, or has broken a law. This country is unique in the world, we have one of the, if not the only police force that is not armed with firearms. The police are the only people that have executive powers, (that is the stuff like arresting you, and carry weapons), in most other countries these powers are spread across a wide section of public services, contrary to popular belief, even the security services in this country are not allowed to carry firearms or arrest people.

They found the chemicals because he has not used much of them, and they found tubes and mixing apparatus and other bits and bobs. They also imaged the HDD on his PC.

They were very nice to him, he wasn't locked in a cell, and they openly said almost immediately they they thought he wasn't a terrorist but they were just "going through the motions".

View Post

This is the sort of reason the police have to use. The ?going through the motions? bit is very true though. What if your mate was the next Timothy McVeigh, and they didn?t check it out? They have to because they are required to.

So, he had his chemicals confiscatated, but was released without charge or a caution, and was just told to be more sensible in the future. The only questions he has is whether they're going to persue the fact he has ?1000's of illegal software on his PC  :unsure:

Anyway, it's an interesting tale. On the one hand you wouldn't think the police would come after you for an ebay purchase made years ago, but then on the other hand they were very nice to him and obviously take a very leniant view to the making of homemade fireworks and suchlike, providing there is no malicious intent.

So, just bear these thoughts in mind if your buying chemicals from dubious sources in the future.

View Post

Pirate software is not within SO-13?s remit. To be honest they don?t care about such a thing, they are interested in finding out if you are going to kill people etc.
Given the circumstances your mate should have asked for his property back after the investigation was concluded. The thing is; does your mate live on the 13th floor of a block of flats in the middle of London?

In my experience, members of SO-13 and other anti-terrorist branches around the country, do not have a sophisticated knowledge of home made fireworks, this is probably due to lack of exposure and education. It is common practice to call in someone that does know what they are looking at, but still they often have had no exposure to home made fireworks, they will however, spot an IED in the making. One hopes that one would have helped educate a few members of SO-13 from when I had my little chat with them. Lenient, perhaps lucky is more accurate, education is the way forward, and I sure the BPS will liaise with the police on may occasions in the future.

Everyone needs to be aware of the legal limit, including the police, and we need to obey that for now, I think that education about licences for hobbyists is essential if the hobby is to grow, be more accessible and enjoyable, and remain legal.

#197 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 10:36 AM

[/QUOTE]This country is unique in the world, we have one of the, if not the only police force that is not armed with firearms.[QUOTE]

Cough cough. New Zealand also has an unarmed police force. When the New Zealand armed offenders Squad ( what the yanks call "SWAT" ) is called out it often means front page news! and in the rare incedent that it was not a falce alarm ( every few years) it is front page for days.

Anyway, I respect all police, exept the trigger happy ones.

Sorry Richard for getting political. By the way, is there a display in the UK that you and the team are not personaly involved with? ( refering to firework champions 2005)

Edited by BigG, 01 August 2005 - 05:30 PM.

The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#198 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:14 AM

The rest of them? I only assist setting up the aforementioned event.

#199 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 02:23 PM

This country is unique in the world, we have one of the, if not the only police force that is not armed with firearms.

Cough cough. New Zealand also has an unarmed police force, and the pictures of brittish police carying assult rifles in the papers must be seriously harming your unarmed police reputation

View Post

Sorry about that! :) I did say "one of", I could not remember off hand but I did remember there being others. Recent events are going to cause all manor of feelings, so anyone would be forgiven for getting angry, I even got angry over a few things :( .

Assault rifles are classed as 'specially dangerous weapons' and no one is allowed to own or use one in the UK. The armed forces are the only ones that are allowed asault riffles here, the police carry sub machine guns that fire the equilivant of pistol rounds.

#200 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

[quote=seymour,Aug 1 2005, 10:36 AM]
[/QUOTE]This country is unique in the world, we have one of the, if not the only By the way, is there a display in the UK that you and the team are not personaly involved with? ( refering to firework champions 2005)

View Post

[/quote]

I'm not sure what do you mean by Richard and the team... Richard was shooting for MLE - which is a Commercial company. the BPS NEVER shoots it's own shows - we are not a display company.

However, most of the administration team are Occasional firers for professional display companies - so we know the business well, and in the case of the UKRA - under the watchful eye and the help (and insurance) of a commercial display company, we can all shoot the professional display.

Richard and the rest of us (with maybe the exception of the djinn) shoot very limited amounts of shows a year, and usually not together.

Now - the topic is buying chimicals - let's get back to it.

Edited by BigG, 01 August 2005 - 05:40 PM.

#201 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 08 August 2005 - 12:02 PM

Pyrotechnics in the UK seems doomed, and since the b**bin*s it is going to be alot harder. I could only get old of KN03, S(flowers), Strantium Carbonate(forgot formula), CuSo2 i think it is, Coper oxide, iron oxide, Zi(chips), Sodium chlorate(i know it is bad so i don't use it). I looked at some ceramic suppliers and found i could get Barium Carbonate and sulphate i think it was with other chemicals but not much. One thing i have been looking for for ages is Al(fine powder), Ti(sponge), KNo4, Red Gum, Parlon ect. But upto now havn't found reasonable suppliers of them.

Edited by Rhodri, 08 August 2005 - 01:10 PM.

fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#202 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 09 August 2005 - 06:50 PM

Strontium Carbonate = CuSO2 ?! Think about it.. how could that ever make sense!?
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#203 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:30 AM

Lol, CuSO2 is copper sulphide. Anyone who actually went so school should know that *Prays he didn't make a mistake* Strontium Carbonate is SrCO3, if memory serves. Corrected by a 15 year old, Lol...

#204 alany

alany

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 02:24 PM

Err, try again.

Both you and Pyrotechnist should go and read about valency and chemical naming conventions.

#205 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 06:08 PM

Yes, it's coppery and sulphury... but thats not right either!

Not wanting to 'out' people, but I second what alany said.
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#206 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 07:12 PM

Does CuSO2 even exist ???
IMHO it doesn't

#207 Salut151

Salut151

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 09:10 PM

Could someone help me to find a website that sells chemicals to Canada ? I'm looking for a long time ago and I don't find anything.
Thanks alot !

Edited by Salut151, 11 August 2005 - 04:16 AM.

#208 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 11:30 PM

Well, CuSO2 would theoretically be named Copper (II) Hyposulfite, but as far as I am aware it does not exist, nor does the ion seem stable enough to even exist. On top of that hyposulfite is used to refer to another ion(S2O3 thiosulfate), so I am willing to bet the ion does not exist.

#209 Guest_PyromaniaMan_*

Guest_PyromaniaMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2005 - 12:29 PM

So, please say, what is it? does it exist? what is CuSO2? maybe it's an isometric molecule? (Lol, long shot, but hey :P)

#210 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 03:37 AM

No, the molecule does not exist to the extent of my chemical knowledge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users