1235 replies to this topic

#31 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 08:50 AM

ok thanks for all that, il be sure to make my own jar or use the plastic one. yer what the hell is that envalope?been wondering about that for ages. should i use one set of milling media for milling chlorate... and one set of milling media for BP then?

#32 bernie

bernie

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 10:13 AM

Yes. One batch of media for KCLO3. All by itself. Another set for BP. Keep them labeled.

#33 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 28 May 2003 - 12:29 PM

ok then, cheers.

#34 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 02:13 PM

what chems have you found you can buy from looking in the yellow pages?and have you had any trouble in purchasing?

#35 smpip

smpip

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 06:50 PM

The list is long, but I think its more to do with were I am, (industrial, rural areas as opposed to City areas), the other thing is having existing business accounts, and also that thing that one hopes comes with age, Wisdom.:P

#36 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 07:37 PM

yes i think it must be. iv looked in my yellow pages and havnt found a damb thing. where about do you live?

#37 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 31 May 2003 - 08:05 PM

I don't think there is a 'Pyro chemical' section. Laboratory supplies / Industrial etc is where you want to be looking.

#38 italteen3

italteen3

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 01:40 PM

About the topic of milling media being porous and absorbing chlorate, then used for milling BP and the BP spontaneously ignites while loading a finale for example.

Just ordered my ball mill two days ago(same dual ball mill from UN just 1/4 cost and without the UN stickers). First project will be BP, then comes rolled stars in a rolling machine, mines, quickmatch, etc.

Now some stars require chlorates be used. Is there a specific way to clean my media to rid it of any possible contaminants of other chemicals? I will be purchasing a set of Lead/Antimony media and two sets of ceramic media. Lead/Antimony for BP and ceramic for individual chemicals (one set in each drum of the mill). I wont only be milling one chemical with each set so I would just like to know the best way, which liquid, disposing of the liquid safely, etc. would be safest, cleanest, etc.

Thanks!

#39 BurlHorse

BurlHorse

Burlhorse

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 05:19 AM

Go for it Bernie, Your the Man when it comes to The Individual Media per Chem, in those nicely labled Jars :)

Regards,

Stay Green

Bear
There are old pyros, and there are bold pyros, but there are not very many old, bold pyros....

Check Out My E-Bay Auctions !!

#40 robfir

robfir

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:46 PM

What should i buy as my first chems? and what quantities?

#41 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:14 AM

Assuming u want to make pyro things then i would have said, Potassium Nitrate, Sulphur and Lumpwood Charcoal! At a guess! :P
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#42 Yugen-biki

Yugen-biki

Pyro is forever

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:11 PM

Ha ha ha! Yes...
But some perc, red gum , atomized Al and some "colour salts" ( SrCO3, Cu(III)O ) is a good start.

With it you can make some stars, bursts and Lift (BP) Used for rockets or shells, and drivers.

#43 broadsword

broadsword

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 01:48 PM

Perchlorate, where we meant to buy that? I thought it was REALLY hard to find?
Broadsword Calling DannyBoy....

#44 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 02:57 PM

Hope this is the most appropriate thread :blush:

Just a quick post to let you all know about a source of Strontium Sulphate. Celestite is Strontium Sulphate in crystal form. It is very brittle, and can be crushed into a useable powder easily in a pestle and mortar. Processing shiny blue crystals into pyrotechnic ingredients is very rewarding :P

It is easily available from various sources (think gem/fossil shops) and is cheap. I paid two quid for a chunk of roughly 100g.

Now, I've only ever seen AP strobe formulas using the stuff, but a simple 3 part formula with sugar, oxidiser, and the Celestite produced a most wonderful colour.

It's like a pinky red on it's way to purple. Nothing like Strontium Carbonate or Nitrate formulas I've seen. I think this chemical has superb potential for producing vivid reds and purples. Just got some experimental tweaking to do now :)

#45 boris_73

boris_73

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 02:40 PM

sorry for posting this but does anybody know any online pottery shops which sell chemicals because i have typed in pottery supplies ect on google and nothing useful came up, and i want to try pottery shops because i have read in previous post's that you can get for eg. 1KG of CuO for a few pounds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users