1235 replies to this topic

#496 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:11 PM

Does anyone know who runs hobbychem? I don't suppose it's anyone from this forum?
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#497 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

Dont know, but selling it at over £6 per 100g makes him rich I guess! Wonder how its shipped?

#498 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:57 AM

If anyone lives close enough to the Bradford Keighley Skipton area to collect their share of an order and are looking for Potassium Nitrate Ive found a good suplier that I can get 25kg for £28 but Ill have to order quite a bit in one go. This isnt including what it costs to get it delivered.

Im looking for a few people to club together to get an order sent. Ill need payment before ordering but theres plenty of people on here I could name who will vouch for my honesty with these types of things. If anything goes wrong I would of course refund all cash paid to me in full.

If your interested email me and we can chat.

This is quite a short term offer as I need to order in the next week.

Phill

Edited by cooperman435, 30 March 2007 - 01:26 PM.

#499 Nostromo

Nostromo

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

I've got my order from Keten, and I have to say I'm really pleased with the quality of the goods. It was packaged properly and everything was in one piece :)

#500 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 04 April 2007 - 12:03 PM

I found a great cheap site for iron oxide, copper carbonate and a few other things that look quite interesting

http://www.scarvapot...ection=PRODUCTS

#501 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Krista-K Plus Potassium Nitrate from Yara?

Its quoted as being pur kno3 without addatives or fire dampners but from the batch I was sent Ive made a number of stars and their burnrate is well down on my normal batches? also quite a bit of dross on a static burn test?

#502 aquarius

aquarius

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 06:06 PM

Krista K is the only KNO3 I have used (lately): It's cheap, pure and comes in a 25 kilo bag.
Nothing to think about, if you can get it, get it!

#503 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:24 PM

Krista K is sold by pretty much every gardening supplies place. Garden Direct sell this brand of KNO3. 98% is about the purity and it works very well; you have to be a real pyro toff with scientific instruments to tell the difference in performance of BP made with this over 2N or 3N Potassium Nitrate.

It's also cheap as chips when you buy 25kg.

hughh, even if you added 2% fire retardants it would not do anything!!! :D

#504 starseeker

starseeker

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:36 PM

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Krista-K Plus Potassium Nitrate from Yara?

Its quoted as being pur kno3 without addatives or fire dampners but from the batch I was sent Ive made a number of stars and their burnrate is well down on my normal batches? also quite a bit of dross on a static burn test?

Hi Phill,
krista k is all i have been using the last few months with no probs,
regards,
Vince.

#505 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:05 PM

Hi Phill,
krista k is all i have been using the last few months with no probs,
regards,
Vince.

Thanks for the help guys its just behaving diferently from my last batch!

Ive been using food grade stuff before thats all and have now swapped cos of the increse in quantities so Ill now test my sulphur and if the boric acid makes a diffeence.

btw any suggestions of boric acid ratio? I added +2% of the total mix in boric or should it be 2% of the magneliums weight? cheers everyone

#506 punnisher

punnisher

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:04 AM

Thanks for the help guys its just behaving diferently from my last batch!

Ive been using food grade stuff before thats all and have now swapped cos of the increse in quantities so Ill now test my sulphur and if the boric acid makes a diffeence.

btw any suggestions of boric acid ratio? I added +2% of the total mix in boric or should it be 2% of the magneliums weight? cheers everyone

Hi
I have just bought a bag of Krista K from Beds Growers in Bedfordshire at £15 for 25kg
I hope this is the same as the Krista K plus that you mention.
would somebody be kind enough to tell me where I can get some decent sulphur from so that I can start making my first small batch of black powder.
Many Thanks
:)

#507 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:52 AM

would somebody be kind enough to tell me where I can get some decent sulphur from so that I can start making my first small batch of black powder.
Many Thanks
:)

Here are a few:

http://www.inoxia.co...roduct/155.aspx

http://www.thegreenman.me.uk/shop.html

http://www.gardenche...lphurpowder.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...3QQcmdZViewItem

#508 BigBang

BigBang

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

or here even, about as cheap as it comes

http://www.gardendir...?...y&PT_ID=all

#509 punnisher

punnisher

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for your quick replies guys
The garden direct seems to be the best value but do you have any idea which is best (pure) between the powder or crystals or does it really not matter as it has to be milled anyway? Also is flowers of sulphur the same stuff or does this have something in it?
Thanks

#510 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 12:48 PM

Thanks for your quick replies guys
The garden direct seems to be the best value but do you have any idea which is best (pure)
Thanks

GD is pretty cool, but that sulphur powder is flowers of sulphur. You want roll/rhombic sulphur, it is more expensive but it is safer. You can buy powdered rhombic sulphur (it has been very rare and difficult to get hold of, you pretty much had to mill your own until recently) but it typically comes in chip form.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users