• Please log in to reply
1235 replies to this topic

#1126 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:30 PM

I do have another question though, this time hopefully far more mundane :unsure: and less likely to get me arrested as a terrorist :ph34r: . does anyone know of a UK source of Lithium Chloride and Potassium Chloride? (to make red fire and lilac fire when mixed with metylated spirits)

The carbonates of those chemicals are easily obtained from pottery suppliers, with the addition of hydrochloric acid the chlorides are obtained.

D
Phew that was close.

#1127 portfire

portfire

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:41 AM

portfire: just because a chemical can be used for evil, doesn't mean that is its only possible use.... i am you could find far more horrific images related to gunpowder

Don't get me wrong, of course these chemicals have legitimate uses, BUT there not somthing the hobbyist should have in their inventory, and for good reason!

On a lighter note, here's a nice image related to gunpowder

http://upload.wikime..._tin_of_tea.jpg
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" Adam Savage

#1128 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

WP is nasty stuff, its on par with HF in my books.

#1129 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 05:09 PM

Don't want to upset anyone, but I get increasingly fed up with all the things we are not 'allowed' to own...

To my mind it should be about what you do with them, not what they are.

If a bomber gets caught, I'd string them up (I'm nothing if not moderate!) it's their fault, not the chemicals. Drug chemists, 50 years in prison (not the fault of the Phospherous).

When I was a kid (omg-40 years ago!) I frequently bought by mail order, phospherous, conc acids, sodium metal, oxidisers and pretty much anything I wanted. I had fun, learned a lot and harmed no one - not even myself. Todays kids have to put on their safety gear to make saline solution...

These types of blanket laws supposedly protect the public, but really just further reduce their freedom in the name of protection, and this is the way laws seem to be going in most countries - although UK is worst than most.

Said it before, but : "He who gives up freedom for safety deserves neither and will loose both."
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#1130 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:43 PM

Don't want to upset anyone, but I get increasingly fed up with all the things we are not 'allowed' to own...

To my mind it should be about what you do with them, not what they are.

As a young kid I watched the Chernobyl reactor explode on TV and asked my Dad whether the rain dripping through the leaky dining room window was now radioactive.

A few days later a geiger counter appeared on loan and I was told it was my job to monitor the radiation levels in the rainwater (which were way above normal background). Of course I needed convincing that it worked so I was lent a sample of something wrapped in thick lead foil taped inside a sweetie tin and told NOT to ever open it. The counter went mad whenever it got near the tin - absolutely fascinating for me. I guarded it zealously and never did open it.

Just imagine that these days...

Edited by BrightStar, 21 June 2008 - 06:03 PM.

#1131 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 12:27 AM

quick question but i recently got some Diatomaceous earth for a guy who wanted to make "fence post prime" (so called for its alleged ability to light a fence post in a gale)

I got a kg and someone else asked for it too so I have to get some more already! Does anyone have any experience with this prime and would anyone be interested in any as I can make a saving by getting 5kg at a time instead of the 1kg bags?

#1132 GalFisk

GalFisk

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:30 AM

The grade of DE to use in the fencepost prime was discussed on Passfire recently, the inventor of the formula said to use only pool filter DE for best effect. Garden DE was dirty and too coarse, food grade was too fine for the prime to work optimally.

#1133 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:02 PM

Well Im a lucky boy then lol thats where it came from haha

#1134 psiborg

psiborg

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 06:06 PM

sorry to divert this topic, This question has probably been asked before, but I'm having trouble finding OTC KNO3, (the way this country's going i'm reluctant to buy online for fear I'll end up with special branch at the door), any tips on where to find it?

#1135 seymour

seymour

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:24 AM

I have never heard of terrorists using Potassium nitrate. It is ok to buy it over the internet.

Usual response to this question (you are the latest of many many many people to ask this) to buy from Garden Direct. Searching, either this forum or google will come up with their website. Who knows, perhaps they are within driving distance and you can buy from the store.

Don't pay more than a few pounds per kilo, you are being ripped off in an epic way if you do.

Have you read this entire thread?

It is a decent task but you will learn a lot if you do. You will learn things you would never have thought of asking.

Good luck with the special branch anti terror cops, they are known to be watching this forum.

Kinda joking, they might be, but they are kind to us. They are our friends.

Relax :blush:
The monkey leaped off it's sunny perch and flew off into the night sky.

#1136 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:47 AM

any tips on where to find it?

JFC Monro in Cornwall will give you a bag OTC. Maybe you could organise a surfing holiday to justify the drive B) There must be other agricultural suppliers around the country.

As I've said many times before, go to inoxia.co.uk for online orders, including potassium nitrate. The proprietor is a member of the forum, trustworthy and fully legal.

I note that the G.D. price has gone up quite a bit...

Edited by BrightStar, 04 July 2008 - 12:50 PM.

#1137 psiborg

psiborg

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:36 AM

I have never heard of terrorists using Potassium nitrate. It is ok to buy it over the internet.

Usual response to this question (you are the latest of many many many people to ask this) to buy from Garden Direct. Searching, either this forum or google will come up with their website. Who knows, perhaps they are within driving distance and you can buy from the store.

Don't pay more than a few pounds per kilo, you are being ripped off in an epic way if you do.

Have you read this entire thread?

It is a decent task but you will learn a lot if you do. You will learn things you would never have thought of asking.

Good luck with the special branch anti terror cops, they are known to be watching this forum.

Kinda joking, they might be, but they are kind to us. They are our friends.

Relax :blush:

reading this thread in its entirety is a task of epic proportions, but I intend to eventually.

#1138 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 24 July 2008 - 05:30 PM

Bought some chemicals from coopermans site http://nexusgamers.c...talog/index.php must say excellent customer service and the products arrived in around 2 days and are well packed and high quality. Recommend this site to anyone :).

Edited by pyrotechnist, 24 July 2008 - 05:31 PM.

fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#1139 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

Hi Everyone, long time no see.

Having started a new job and a new girlfriend. hehe i have very little time for pyro so i need to rid myself of the chemicals i havn't used and before spreading my KNO3 on the lawn i would like my chems to go to a good home. Some of the chems include KNO3, Sulphur, Perc antimony trisulphide...full list on request.

Sorry to all the new guys but i'll only give them away to people that i have known as responsible whilst on these forums.

Im based in east sussex and its collection only. PM me for details.

Regards,

Wyvern

#1140 Shake

Shake

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:49 AM

Tragic really...no time for pyro... :(
Fireworks are paint brushes for the night sky...with a few bloody huge BOOMS thrown in for good measure!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users