1235 replies to this topic

#1156 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

How well did you mix the components? I'm just thinking if ball milling would improve the conductivity.
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#1157 cooperman435

cooperman435

UKPS Caretaker & Bottlewasher

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

it was already 250# or finer components so doubt that would improve things greatly. The problem was I wanted them to be usable with commercial systems so was up against a wall in the first place. Also with graphite being basically inert it acts as a fire depressant in the pyrogen too.

#1158 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

it was already 250# or finer components so doubt that would improve things greatly. The problem was I wanted them to be usable with commercial systems so was up against a wall in the first place. Also with graphite being basically inert it acts as a fire depressant in the pyrogen too.

Just use a slurry of graphite and NC lacquer for the first 2 dips, then another dip into BP slurry (or something even hotter) to give this ematch a bit of a kick...

The distance between the two wires is also critical, 1mm or less works best. Using an oxotic pyrogens is conterproductive in this case.

#1159 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:06 PM

so you strongly advise a 2 dipping (or more) process? putting the "bridge" on at first then the pyrogen on top.

#1160 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:32 AM

so you strongly advise a 2 dipping (or more) process? putting the "bridge" on at first then the pyrogen on top.

Yes, the bridge goes on first, then the pyrogen. Give them a try and tell us how they work.

#1161 RFD

RFD

RFD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

Have recently bought chems,tubes,shells and bits and bobs from Cooperman and moonfruit,good stuff gents may you continue,reasonable prices and postage and good service unlike a particular very expensive robbing g*t,support these guys people they make it possible for us to continue our hobby/pastime/passion/addiction,also would like to say at no point was a discount mentioned for being a k**s ar**

#1162 StephF

StephF

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:47 AM

Have recently bought chems,tubes,shells and bits and bobs from Cooperman and moonfruit,good stuff gents may you continue,reasonable prices and postage and good service unlike a particular very expensive robbing g*t,support these guys people they make it possible for us to continue our hobby/pastime/passion/addiction,also would like to say at no point was a discount mentioned for being a k**s ar**

I'd can second this

I have dealt with Coops many times and he is straight up and well priced.

Sadly I didn't get paid for this commendation but there's nothing wrong with k*****g ar** now and again :D

#1163 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:43 AM

I'm not sure this is the right section to post in but I've got a little problem here,

Just started pyro again after a 1 year sabbatical and was browsing true my stock of chems.
I got a bag of heavy grayish/black powder and stupidly didn't label it.
I can't recollect if this is dark pyro antimony trisulfide or silicon powder as they both look very similar in my memory, it does have very, very tiny shiny particles in it.
Anybody know how to do a simple test to determine what chemical I have? maybe someone can make detailed macro shots of both?
If memory serves me right I got the bag from Cooperman so maybe he can tell what stuff I got?
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#1164 cooperman435

cooperman435

• Admin
  • 1,911 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 11:17 AM

PM sent

And A**e K*****g is duly noted.

Edited by cooperman435, 14 December 2008 - 11:19 AM.

#1165 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:24 PM

I'm not sure this is the right section to post in but I've got a little problem here,

Just started pyro again after a 1 year sabbatical and was browsing true my stock of chems.
I got a bag of heavy grayish/black powder and stupidly didn't label it.
I can't recollect if this is dark pyro antimony trisulfide or silicon powder as they both look very similar in my memory, it does have very, very tiny shiny particles in it.
Anybody know how to do a simple test to determine what chemical I have? maybe someone can make detailed macro shots of both?
If memory serves me right I got the bag from Cooperman so maybe he can tell what stuff I got?

Silicon has kind of a reddish brown tint to the powder, and is less dense than Sb2S3 which is seriously heavy shit.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#1166 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

Or you could just 0.1 grams of it with 0.1 grams of oxidizer, and see for yourself.

#1167 Jerronimo

Jerronimo

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 09:37 PM

Thanks for the PM :)
I now know I've got antimony, win39 stars are drying :D
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

#1168 dave89

dave89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

Hello im after some Calcium Nitrate for coloured star comps and would like to know if this is the right stuff:

http://www.gardendir...m-nitrate-p-624

#1169 pyromaniac303

pyromaniac303

• UKPS Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:44 PM

Hello im after some Calcium Nitrate for coloured star comps and would like to know if this is the right stuff:

http://www.gardendir...m-nitrate-p-624

If the rest of the garden direct chemicals are anything to go by then it should be fairly pure.

I can see you having a few problems drying stars containing large percentages of this, as most calcium salts are extremely hygroscopic. (Calcium chloride is used in moisture traps to remove air moisture). If you just plan to add a couple of % to something I dont see a problem though, but using it as the only oxidiser in a comp is probably not practical.

Having a search through the PFP database I found that the only calcium salts used were carbonates, flourides and resinates, the latter of which I've never heard of. Flourides are often quite toxic too, so they may be best avoided.

Would be interested to know how they turn out though, looks like it could be used as a cheap colourant and additional oxidiser.
You can never have a long enough fuse...

#1170 dave89

dave89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

i intend to use it for an orange star using the Kcnkickthecat colour system displayed on pyroguide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users