38 replies to this topic

#16 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:58 PM

Not when reviews start to be 80% from the forum postings. It's hard to find the other new postings amoung them.

#17 sasman

sasman

Sasman

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 04:22 PM

Wouldn't it be simpler just avoiding this section if your not interested? lol

Er .. How do i avoid that section ? is there a way of removing that section?.. all i do is click Todays active topic or view new posts...Even though i have clicked ignore this user..That user is still on the view new topics list?

#18 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 08:13 PM

If we are against reviews on consumer goods, then is it not best to remove the said thread from the forum ?
But before some hasty decision is made, lets keep in mind that probably the majority of forum members are not proffesional hence do not have access to Cat4. The reviews on Cat3 and Cat2 are probably of great benifit to a ot of people as it helps when deciding on what is a good bang for your buck.

Upon reviewing the documentation provided to companies house, we claim to be the voice of the public and are not bound to any specific areas of pyrotechnics yet here we appear to have entered into an argument over reviews of Cat3 & Cat2 due to the fact that some people think the forum is more for the enthusiast that is interested in the compounds and methods used in manufacture.. maybe so, but we have to keep the general publics interest in mind as well.

Like everything, things are fine in moderation. I for one am not interested in Cat3 & Cat2 reviews but for a lot of people out there it is of interest. Yes, there has been a dramatic increase in these reviews lately and some of that is probably due to the time of year that is upon us. Another observation, certain members who wish to review 10 items tend to open up 10 new threads... one for each item. Good practice would be to run a single thread listing all 10 items followed by the review of each item... this will cut down on the amount of threads being created and will probably keep the other members happy that are complaining about sifting through new posts to weed out all the reviews that they do not wish to read. Take this thread for instance, "Anthony's Reviews" - in the past Anthony has taken to creating new threads like there is no tomorrow... with this thread, he can post as many reviews as he likes all under one thread in the consumer fireworks area rather than a dozen threads.

I do not feel that it is fair for us to start changing the goal posts.. this thread was started and set up for a purpose and I feel that it is in the public interest to keep it though like I said it may be benificial to lay down guidlines on posting in this area to curb the number of new threads being created but in a way so as not to limit the information being made available.

My suggestion is that we should halt this debate and monitor the situation for the time being and if need be, we can review it at a later stage. In the mean time we should offer guidance on thread creating and posting of new reviews. This way I feel we can keep all parties happy.

Mark

PS: this is my once a year "politicaly correct" post, there will be no other PC posts till 2006 :P

Edited by BigG, 13 November 2005 - 09:58 PM.

KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#19 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:54 PM

How about we set up a little website dedicated to the review of commercial stuff. I dont mean to incroach on UKFR, as that seems to be massive, but just a little one for us enthusiasts.
I can set up a website & code it etc for reviews and rating systems etc, as well as supply video hosting.
I certainly would like to hear and see more on cat4 stuff, but i also do not want to see a clogged forum here.
Would that be a popular idea?

#20 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:01 PM

I tend to agree with this. as long as it is kept to a sensible amount of posts and without alarming amount of threads.
If it will keep representing the majority of the posts, we will have to put a stop to it.

Remember - what we are interested at are the unique and exeptional - not another review thread.

If we are against reviews on consumer goods, then is it not best to remove the said thread from the forum ?
But before some hasty decision is made, lets keep in mind that probably the majority of forum members are not proffesional hence do not have access to Cat4. The reviews on Cat3 and Cat2 are probably of great benifit to a ot of people as it helps when deciding on what is a good bang for your buck.

Upon reviewing the documentation provided to companies house, we claim to be the voice of the public and are not bound to any specific areas of pyrotechnics yet here we appear to have entered into an argument over reviews of Cat3 & Cat2 due to the fact that some people think the forum is more for the enthusiast that is interested in the compounds and methods used in manufacture.. maybe so, but we have to keep the general publics interest in mind as well.

Like everything, things are fine in moderation. I for one am not interested in Cat3 & Cat2 reviews but for a lot of people out there it is of interest. Yes, there has been a dramatic increase in these reviews lately and some of that is probably due to the time of year that is upon us. Another observation, certain members who wish to review 10 items tend to open up 10 new threads... one for each item. Good practice would be to run a single thread listing all 10 items followed by the review of each item... this will cut down on the amount of threads being created and will probably keep the other members happy that are complaining about sifting through new posts to weed out all the reviews that they do not wish to read. Take this thread for instance, "Anthony's Reviews" - in the past Anthony has taken to creating new threads like there is no tomorrow... with this thread, he can post as many reviews as he likes all under one thread in the consumer fireworks area rather than a dozen threads.

I do not feel that it is fair for us to start changing the goal posts.. this thread was started and set up for a purpose and I feel that it is in the public interest to keep it though like I said it may be benificial to lay down guidlines on posting in this area to curb the number of new threads being created but in a way so as not to limit the information being made available.

My suggestion is that we should halt this debate and monitor the situation for the time being and if need be, we can review it at a later stage. In the mean time we should offer guidance on thread creating and posting of new reviews. This way I feel we can keep all parties happy.

Mark

PS: this is my once a year "politicaly correct" post, there will be no other PC posts till 2006 :P

Edited by BigG, 13 November 2005 - 10:56 PM.

#21 5thElement

5thElement

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:51 PM

ProfHawking - Sounds like a great idea, it's something i'd definately be interested in anyway. There doesnt seem to be any good resources online that discuss UK consumer fireworks (apart from UKFR which you need to pay for)

I'd be able to setup a forum for the website aswell, well anyone could, isn't difficult lol

#22 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:59 PM

Cool!

Ok, lets get one started. First of all, we need some content.

Admins/massive G, is here a good place to discuss such matters, or is another thread better?

#23 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:42 PM

As I said earlier, me and Karl are already running a site with a review section and video hosting, we can arrange so that everyone can upload their reviews and videos, it seems better than creating a whole new site.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#24 5thElement

5thElement

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:53 PM

Got a link to the site? (if its up yet)

#25 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:38 AM

It's not up yet but we will be opening near the end of December.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#26 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:32 AM

You are more then welcome to link from here, or to discuss the set up of such site from here.

Good luck!

#27 5thElement

5thElement

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 01:27 PM

sizzle - Sounds good, im looking forward to seeing it :)

#28 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:20 PM

Looks like my invitation to show us the fruits of his reviewing efforts has prompted a few responses!

I agree whole heartedly that the UKFR is the single best place to host/debate/comment upon the reviews of fireworks.

I guess I was testing the water with my opening posting - just to see if any of the reviews were a bit of a cut and paste from somewhere else :P

Anthonys a bit quiet in this thread don't you think?

Stu

#29 Guest_Anthony_*

Guest_Anthony_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

Havent had time to do anything coz been tied up doing lots of Cat2/3 displays for friends-been non-stop! :)

#30 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

don't you have them all on video already?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users