102 replies to this topic

#1 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 04:30 PM

Ok, this is the thread produced from the discussion in the "Visco" thread, basically we need to discuss the container, shipping, sorting and sending details, I'm quite happy to do the sorting and sending from here, who knows anything about containers?

We also need all involved to speak now and raise the cash ASAP, basically the more involved the cheaper the cost of container/shipping per person.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#2 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

I think you are missing something incredibly obvious here. How are you going to legally store the fuse assuming you go to the incredible effort of importing it? Given that all imports are now traced to licenced storage facilities, you will need presumably a registered store with the local authority.

#3 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:33 PM

Am I missing something here or is someone hell bent on bringing a container of fuse in from China ?... why ? you can buy it locally for heaven sake and I am not talking e-bay or any of the other sources that want a small fortune per meter.
If you can go through all the effort of bringing a shipment in from overseas legally then you may as well just pick up the phone and order locally.. atleast you wont need to order a container full of the stuff.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#4 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:52 PM

let the guy have his dreams.

#5 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:07 PM

Fine, I suppose it was a bit too optamistic. Now I feel a bit of a fool for suggesting it :(

Edited by sizzle, 28 November 2005 - 06:10 PM.

#6 Rhodri

Rhodri

One of the gang!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:15 PM

Hey Sizzle!

Don't feel silly! We know how much pyro. means to everyone here - it was a great idea.....but there are many UK sources around for pyro. work.

Much easier than importing a container from China!
Making light, sound and good conversation.

#7 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 06:58 PM

Erm, it's illegal to store visco??? I thought it wasn't illegal to import from china OR store here in the UK, correct me if I'm wrong, I support the idea fully anyways,

Drew
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#8 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:16 PM

Not illegal, but you need licenced storage. You can't just import fireworks and fuse like banana's you know!

#9 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

Ok so that maybe a problem? I'm guessing that anybody with licenced storage wouldnt be interested in importing visco?
Hmmm, bananas, now theres a thought....

Regards,
Drew
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#10 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

Speaking of fuse, does anyone know a good online retailer of Chinese Time Fuse? I'm starting to experiment with small Shells and Ball Head rockets at the moment.

#11 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Ok so that maybe a problem? I'm guessing that anybody with licenced storage wouldnt be interested in importing visco?
Hmmm, bananas, now theres a thought....

Regards,
Drew

Hmmm

Although this idea seems to have been confounded, I'll chip in anyway.

I imagine that the problem with storage would be flammability.
The cost prohibitive, unless somewhere near a whole container is imported.
Suitable storage must exist, but will be very secure, very insured, very expensive.
At a guess, domestic fireworks must be comparably flammable (1.4G?) to visco.

Find (the difficult bit) an individual or company already importing equally dangerous items and rent container/storage space from them; If they have some redundant space, say in a lull, between high demand (eg. Feb - Sept) they might be happy to be paid for it.

Or go for the the fruit option as previously suggested :P

Simon

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 08:55 PM

When on my importing flurry a while ago, form china I found that a lot of shipping companies will only ship hazardous of various natures in refrigerated containers, even perc, at any time of year. I imagine fuse would be not too different. The cost of refrigerated containers from China to UK is in the order if $1500, to shell out that much for a few km of fuse is a little steep. There are a few shipping companies that do not feel this to be a real requirement, even so, a container is about $500 form China to UK, still a lot, and that is when you avoid all the middle men, which I might add is very difficult. Considering that importing a small amount is not cost effective, and to fill a container you are looking at literately millions of metres, hence about ?10,000 at least, renting space for shipping is the best.

#13 EnigmaticBiker

EnigmaticBiker

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

When on my importing flurry a while ago, form china I found that a lot of shipping companies will only ship hazardous of various natures in refrigerated containers, even perc, at any time of year. I imagine fuse would be not too different. The cost of refrigerated containers from China to UK is in the order if $1500, to shell out that much for a few km of fuse is a little steep. There are a few shipping companies that do not feel this to be a real requirement, even so, a container is about $500 form China to UK, still a lot, and that is when you avoid all the middle men, which I might add is very difficult. Considering that importing a small amount is not cost effective, and to fill a container you are looking at literately millions of metres, hence about ?10,000 at least, renting space for shipping is the best.

Very interesting to hear a 'real world' example rather than making do with my hypothetical musings.
Might be interested in sharing container space with someone in the near future, if it makes financial sense.

Simon

#14 Sparks

Sparks

Sparks

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:14 PM

So now that we've established that it's impossible/illegal/unlikely etc. what are we to do?
How much visco can you legally store (if any) without a licence, and what other restrictions apply? I rang everyone whilst on this quest recently, up to and including the Home Office, and they all said it was OK (as I believe someone else did elsewhere on this site once).

Surely there has to be an answer!?

#15 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 10:28 PM

You can store 5 Kg net of explosive before you have to register or get a licence. Enthusiasts should do well to read a copy of MSER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users