#31 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:10 PM

Thanks for all your wishes again!
The doctor desinfected it and then punched a little hole into the vesicle to let the wounds water out. Omg this was a about 6cm high fountain of yellowish liquid that shot out the small hole.
2 kleenex were totally soaked. But what can I say. I can use my left hand again. It will be ok in a few days, he said.

So everything went very well. Better than I expected.

With best regards,

paul

My flickr photo album

My first very own firework pictures are online!!!

#32 karlfoxman

karlfoxman

Resident Maltese shell builder

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for all your wishes again!
The doctor desinfected it and then punched a little hole into the vesicle to let the wounds water out. Omg this was a about 6cm high fountain of yellowish liquid that shot out the small hole.
2 kleenex were totally soaked. But what can I say. I can use my left hand again. It will be ok in a few days, he said.

So everything went very well. Better than I expected.
With best regards,

paul

Ewwwwwww yuk!! Glad you are on the mend though Paul, look forward to some more posts in the shells section when your ok again.

#33 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:18 PM

Ewwwwww nasty! lol, glad it was just flames and not an explosion, your very lucky, make sure you keep pics hanging in your workshop to remind you to be safe :P

Regards,
Drew

Edited by Ritual33, 04 December 2005 - 10:18 PM.

In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#34 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:32 AM

So, my hand gets bandgaed two times a day to keep it dry and clean. I have to cut off the useless dead skin of the vesicle. More with each day.

I can see there is already new skin under it. Only it is quite sensitive to the touch at the moment. Everything else is ok and it will be ok in a few days.

So this thread may be closed or whatever :)

With best regards,

paul

My flickr photo album

#35 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

I don't think this thread should be closed. I think it should be pinned as a reminder to people that accidents can happen (especially in this hobby).
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#36 Ritual33

Ritual33

Mooooo!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:33 PM

Has anybody got the address to that site where they have a page full of pyro accidents? I wouldnt mind saving the pictures, I think its a great idea to make you keep your 'safety hat' if you know what i mean.

*spills some orange juice onto pauls hand*
woops! :P j/k :)

Looks painfull dude, gonna have a nice scare there, you are so lucky, don't let it happen again!

Regards,
Drew
In Development...
--------------------------------------------------------------
Drew's World - http://drews-world.co.uk
Pyro World - http://pyro-world.co.uk
----------------------------------------------

#37 paul

paul

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:40 PM

you mean the pfp database. in the very begining of that page you can choose your way. "CONSEQUENCES" or "ENTER"

I describe it here, as I don?t know if a link to the pfp database will be accepted here.

My flickr photo album

#38 Phoenix

Phoenix

UKR Forum Ex Regular!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 06:45 PM

Just to add to what's already been said, I'm glad to hear there's no lasting damage, and wish you a speedy recovery. Apparently the palms of your hands are among the more painful places to get burned. I've had bad rope burn on my hands before, and that hurt A LOT.

It is untrue to say that BP cannot ignite from friction or shock - it can, but it needs an awful lot of friction or a powerful impact to set it off. The pressure of a rammer bottoming out on a spindle might do it (e.g. using the wrong rammer). However, you'd obviously know now if you'd used the wrong rammer.

#39 GuiltyCol

GuiltyCol

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:25 PM

Apparently the palms of your hands are among the more painful places to get burned. I've had bad rope burn on my hands before, and that hurt A LOT.

I imagine it was quite embarrassing too. I mean come on, a friction burn in the palm of your hand....? :o

But don't worry, your humiliating little secret is safe with us! Tee hee. ;)

#40 Kevin J

Kevin J

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 05:55 PM

regarding the posts about ball mill saftey I don't see how having your ball mill outside verses in the basement would decrease your risk from flying milling media that much, since not that much goes on in my basement and I could just turn it off if people were down there. And you would have to be around the mill outside just as much time to get it started and the such. So far I don't think that I have run it while no one is home so that would reduce the risk of fire hazard.

#41 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

And you would have to be around the mill outside just as much time to get it started and the such.

Or you could employ the common practise of operating the mill remotely via an extention cord - there's no need to be anywhere near the mill while it's running!

#42 Blaf

Blaf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:54 AM

Hello guys!

This is my first post here ever and I would like to get back to Pauls accident. In my opinion it's definitely some kind of friction that caused ignition...be it between spindle and rammer hole or anywhere else. There's a slight possibility of a static discharge of some kind, though. I had no accidents so far (lucky me, heh!) and for safety reasons I use wooden rammers on my BP rockets, just in case. Someone mentioned a press here - I'm building one myself but primarily for future pressing of BP cakes. Don't know if someone of you has any experience in say - mass production using a press. C'mon, hit me with your best shot...

Regards

Blaf

#43 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 08:14 PM

I've had experience of using a press for mass production. What do you want to know?
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#44 Blaf

Blaf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

Hello Adamw!

By mass production I meant many devices at the same time. Getting back to my press, it won't be a huge one...working plates shouldn't exceed 14 x 16 cm so I could work with...say, two to three fountains or whatever at the same time. Driven force should be a hydraulic jack of 3 tons whic is more than I'll ever require. But (as I've seen somewhere on Mighty Net) if larger or longer working plates are to be used, I just wonder how the force is being distributed so that all devices are pressed consistently...
Are there any secrets of the Trade that could be shared with humble me?

Blaf

#45 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

One of the presses I used was a 16-gang (4x4) hydraulic (pumped) machine with 30cm spindles (only used for pressing one type of device). Having not designed it I can't say for sure how the load is distributed but I'd imagine having all spindles equally distanced would spread it out evenly.

Instead of 3x spindles I would group it in 4 (2x2) to have better distribution:

O---O
|-----|
O---O

is better than

-----------
O---O---O
-----------
or

--------
O----O
--------

(the O = spindle and --- = face of the plate)
Hope this helps

Edited by adamw, 14 December 2005 - 07:22 PM.

75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users