• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#46 Salut151

Salut151

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 06:47 AM

Hello Paul, me too I got an accident. I was lighting a new king of Bp and it burn in a fraction of second. I light it with a lighter (no fuse) so my right hand have been totaly in the fire. I was lucky cause I was wearing Nomex gloves (I recomand everyone to purchage a pair on ebay). My glove was all black and my lighter was unusable but my skin did not get burned and I feeled no heat. Since this time, I always wear my gloves.
I hope every pyro will do the same.

#47 Blaf

Blaf

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 02:26 PM

Adam thanks for help...I had the same general idea of placing devices in some geometrically acceptable order to distribute the pressing force evenly...I never tried it yet, though.

Thanks again!

Blaf

#48 GBthriller

GBthriller

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:13 PM

Hello Paul, me too I got an accident. I was lighting a new king of Bp and it burn in a fraction of second. I light it with a lighter (no fuse) so my right hand have been totaly in the fire. I was lucky cause I was wearing Nomex gloves (I recomand everyone to purchage a pair on ebay). My glove was all black and my lighter was unusable but my skin did not get burned and I feeled no heat. Since this time, I always wear my gloves.
I hope every pyro will do the same.

I prefer to wear a full Nomex triple layer suit when I light anything. I usually fill a bath tub with my experimental comp. then lay in it in my suit and smoke a cigar. :huh:

#49 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 04:35 PM

Salut151 - that was quite a silly thing to do!! You are very very lucky the gloves protected you. You should always test things like that with a few seconds of fuse and stand back, because you do not always know what will happen!
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#50 Salut151

Salut151

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 05:27 PM

Salut151 - that was quite a silly thing to do!! You are very very lucky the gloves protected you. You should always test things like that with a few seconds of fuse and stand back, because you do not always know what will happen!

I know ! For this reason, I will always use a fuse in the future with a BBQ lighter.

#51 flash_boom

flash_boom

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:00 PM

Hi guys, my first post!

I've been doing pyro for about a year now - but until yesterday I hadn't had any accidents. Funnily enough it happened when I was rushing around and not taking care - and I lit a *very* small amount of Mg/S flash with about 5cm visco without any gloves on. Well, the fuse sparked ahead straight to the flash and a great gout of flame enveloped my thumb!!!

It completely dried the skin out and partially melted the end of my nail with the heat of it - but I managed to get it straight under cold water so its not too bad today thank god! Took about 5 minutes for the pain to register though :blink:

Certainly reminds you that you always need to take the proper saftey precautions in this hobby!

Speaking of gloves btw, have you seen that advert for the "Ove' Glove"? Apparently it's kevlar - so it should protect against high temperatures...might ask for one for X-mas ;)

#52 adamw

adamw

An old Leodensian

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:29 AM

What is it with the spate of accidents leading up to the Xmas holidays?!

Take more care guys! Pyro danger doesn't take time off for Xmas you know! ;)
75 : 15: 10... Enough said!

#53 The_Djinn

The_Djinn

Light Up The Sky - KF Pyro Crew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 11:02 AM

AdamW,

Probably peoples heads are in the clouds and not thinking straight.
Probably find that over the year there have been a few other incidents but people chose not to mention them and it is only now that someone has published an incident that the others are comming forward.

Everyone needs to take a leson from these incidents, take a step back and think about what you are doing.. rather safe than sorry.

Mark
KF Pyro Crew
BPA L1 & L2

#54 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:09 PM

Both these last two incidents have taken place because people have skimped on the fuse in some respect.

Can I remind people that the fuse is there for a reason - To let you reach the minimum safe distance. "Double what you need + 10 secs" is my rule of unburned thumb.

HANDYHINT: I've also found that a strip of touch paper with one end wrapped round blackmatch can help extend the time of a that fuse very cheaply.

Lets not also forget that blackmatch skips and jumps. It's well known for it. Choose your fuse with care.

#55 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:34 PM

Another option for those who lack proper, reliable fuse are E-matches. Cheap, easy and the materials are very easy to find.

Edited by Pretty green flames, 19 December 2005 - 02:34 PM.

#56 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 02:44 PM

...And for anyone who's having trouble locating fuse/has ran out then UKVisco.com has now got some back in stock!
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#57 fishy1

fishy1

Name

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:07 PM

...And for anyone who's having trouble locating fuse/has ran out then UKVisco.com has now got some back in stock!

still expensive though.

Edited by fishy1, 19 December 2005 - 04:46 PM.

#58 Creepin_pyro

Creepin_pyro

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:16 PM

still expensive tho.

That's not really a good reason to use incredibly small lengths of it...

OH, and it's though, not tho : P

#59 flash_boom

flash_boom

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:18 PM

still expensive tho.

I must say his prices are expensive - I wonder what he buys it at? I've been trying countless times to get a cheap, reliable fuse supplier for the U.K., but I still can't manage it :glare: Could anyone PM me with details on good visco sources? It should help me avoid getting those burns with any luck!

Flash

#60 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 19 December 2005 - 04:32 PM

To be perfectly honest I would rather pay ?6 for 5m of fuse than have only a single hand remaining on my body. It is worth the investment. Besides, 5m is quite a lot of fuse, that lasts me at least a month or two usually.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users