• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#61 Themolehole_9876

Themolehole_9876

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:51 AM

Hey guys, I have recently made some blackmatch with some of my BP and it is soo dodgy! It burns slow and sometimes even goes out, but then there are times when it goes fast and still stops. its pretty fustrating at times when it wont work at all so my question is, why? is it just because this type of fuse is unreliable?

#62 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 01:18 AM

try coating two strings at once, and pulling them through a hole together.

this way bp dries between the strings and forms a more reliable "core" kinda thing.

Edited by ProfHawking, 22 January 2006 - 01:22 AM.

#63 littlejohny

littlejohny

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 02:48 AM

Try making some twisted chinese fuse its alot more reliable but a bit tricky to make, just take some crepe paper about 2 cm wide fold it in half and run a trail of meal down the center and twist it up a little bit at a time then coat it in some PVA so it doesn't untwist and let it dry

#64 BigG

BigG

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

Try making some twisted chinese fuse its alot more reliable but a bit tricky to make, just take some crepe paper about 2 cm wide fold it in half and run a trail of meal down the center and twist it up a little bit at a time then coat it in some PVA so it doesn't untwist and let it dry

This idea is dangerous and unreliable. I would advise strongly against it. Fuse made this way is liable for immediate ignition as well as highly inaccurate timings. Stick with old and tested ideas.

#65 littlejohny

littlejohny

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:58 AM

(littlejohny @ Jan 22 2006, 02:48 AM)

This idea is dangerous and unreliable. I would advise strongly against it. Fuse made this way is liable for immediate ignition as well as highly inaccurate timings. Stick with old and tested ideas.

<_<

Well I have made black match and this imitation chinese fuse, and it works alot better than black match burns through holes alot better to. :)

#66 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

Hey guys, I have recently made some blackmatch with some of my BP and it is soo dodgy! It burns slow and sometimes even goes out, but then there are times when it goes fast and still stops. its pretty fustrating at times when it wont work at all so my question is, why? is it just because this type of fuse is unreliable?

Tip: soak the string you're using as a core in KNO3 solution and let it dry before making match as before, this helps keep it going if there's a break in the powder pasted on the outside.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#67 littlejohny

littlejohny

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:48 AM

Just thought i'd post my success, I attempted my first rocket today and had good results :D .
The propellent was a smoke mix 60/40 KNO3/sugar it measured 2inchs long with an ID of 1cm,the core was 3mm wide and extened 2/3 of the way into the rocket, the nozzle was about 1cm thick bentonite clay. I pressed it with a simple setup with a jack underneath my car pretty dogy.

Take-Off

I ran 25metres of 20gauge wire across my back yard and fixed a straw onto the rocket not aiming for the moon on my first attempt,lit the fuse and an almighty whooosh it surprised me how fast it went :o , when i looked at the tube and was split 1mm into the 4mm diameter tube. :o I didn't think this smoke mixture had so much power :wacko:

So I was pretty pleased for a first attempt :D

#68 r.burgy

r.burgy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:06 PM

Tip: soak the string you're using as a core in KNO3 solution and let it dry before making match as before, this helps keep it going if there's a break in the powder pasted on the outside.

what do you mean by kno3 solution. is this just kno3 and water 50/50 or what please explain,since im having the same trouble
thank you
r.burgy

#69 ProfHawking

ProfHawking

3... 2... 1... Umm

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

kno3 is soluble in water.
Boil the kettle, and put the hot water into a container, then mix in kno3 until it starts to stop disolving.
You can filter it if you like.

When that solution is soaked into the string, and then the string dries, it leaves crystals of kno3 on the string which helps it burn.

#70 Themolehole_9876

Themolehole_9876

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:11 AM

Hey, thanks for the tips on fuse guys and i finally got some fuse working really well and im perfectly happy with it! :) I just made some charcoal.. and basically a saw a flame coming out the top of the hole! so im thinking... is the charcoal pretty much screwed now? or can i still use it?

#71 completebeginner

completebeginner

Made My First Working Shell!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:20 AM

doesnt make a difference the gassses that come out are flamable and they burn clean so it will just reduce the smoke during production you charcoal will be fine.

#72 Frozentech

Frozentech

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:24 AM

Hey, thanks for the tips on fuse guys and i finally got some fuse working really well and im perfectly happy with it! :) I just made some charcoal.. and basically a saw a flame coming out the top of the hole! so im thinking... is the charcoal pretty much screwed now? or can i still use it?

That's perfectly normal. One way of knowing when your charcoal is done is that flame from the vent stops. Shortly after that, all smoke from the vent will stop, and it will be time to pull the retort from the fire.
"The word unblowupable is thrown around a lot these days, but I think I can say with confidence..."
KAABLAAAMMM!!!
"OK... that shows you what could potentially happen."
--Homer Simpson

#73 Themolehole_9876

Themolehole_9876

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:23 AM

ahhh okay sweet! thanks again!

#74 Amleth

Amleth

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 05:33 AM

If you have the commercial airfloat (mixed hardwood) charcoal you might want to try a different formula.
I have only started to use a 8th century formula, works great. It's 66.66 , 22.22 , 11.11. Burns quite fast and very sparkly. Works very good for igniting fuses.

66.66 : 22.22 : 11.11 is the same as 6 : 2 : 1...

#75 Themolehole_9876

Themolehole_9876

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:10 AM

g'day guys... whats been happening in the pyro world? um.. just about BP.. just say i make a batch that is just crap.. really slow burning, is there something i can do to speed it up? like... if i added more charcoal or S or kno3? i have noticed when it burns slowly.. its because i have added a bit too much kno3 by accident. So yeah, any 'counter' crap BP suggestions?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users