48 replies to this topic

#1 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

Ok, i know i'm asking to be spoonfed but i'm having a hard time finding HDPE mortars, i have asked plumbing suppliers for their HDPE pipes but they are not willing to sell me smaller quantities and besides they sell pipes that are either too large (around 4-5mm) or too small (by 3-4mm) so i have no pasting space.

So could anyone direct me to a place that sells preferably already made mortars (And i know about all the american suppliers but i am not willing to pay 100$ shipping for 3 3" mortars) If possible, somewhere in Europe.

Thanks

#2 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 09:43 AM

I got my HDPE mortars from my local gas and water companies. In the UK, they both use DuPont HDPE pipes in the ground and they had mountains of offcuts and scrap which probably went to be recycled. They let me have all mine for nothing. If you have a depot near you, ask, and even if you have to buy it, it will probably only cost you scrap value.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#3 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:55 AM

OK, so first thing tommorow i'll do is phone some companies about some scrap HDPE. One question though, is a 79mm tube OK for a 7cm shell, is it too big, i'm guessing it'll be OK because of all the layers of pasting.

Thanks

#4 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:31 AM

That is still a lot more gap than I like to have, but it should be fine. For a roughly 3" shell, the aproximate 1/8" gap is certainly acceptable.

#5 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:09 AM

OK, i think it will be cool.

For the 7cm (7cm is OD) shell i will be using a 79mm mortar which has a clerance of 9mm which is somewhere around 3/8" and is equal to the shell that you can buy by skylighter, or anywhere else. So this is cool.

And for the 4" i will be using commercial plastic shells (3-3/4" OD), when dropped in the mortar they will have 7mm clerance (the mortar ID is 102mm).

I Think when i paste the shells and run quickmatch down the mortar it will be fine.

#6 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 10:58 AM

Don't skimp on the bungs in the bottom: the thickness ought to be approaching the tube ID if you're going to be firing anything serious e.g. cylinder shells.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#7 Pretty green flames

Pretty green flames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 02:32 PM

Don't skimp on the bungs in the bottom: the thickness ought to be approaching the tube ID if you're going to be firing anything serious e.g. cylinder shells.

I'm sorry, are you talking about end-plugs??

#8 iggy

iggy

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 08:29 PM

I'm sorry, are you talking about end-plugs??

yep bungs/endplugs need to be at made of a good solid wood tight fitting and well fixed in

#9 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:43 AM

i am thinking of buying some pre plugged mortars from http://www.pyrogear.net/ and in the quote Steve stated that i may need an import license for these although i can't see why, i have emailed HMCE but in true government agency style they take forever to reply, does anyone have any information about this?

#10 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:34 PM

i am thinking of buying some pre plugged mortars from http://www.pyrogear.net/ and in the quote Steve stated that i may need an import license for these although i can't see why, i have emailed HMCE but in true government agency style they take forever to reply, does anyone have any information about this?

By the way just to update There is no import licence required for these and the customs and exciles code for them is 3926909790 in case anyone else was thinking of buying from here

#11 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

So do we have to quote that number? Is the p&p reasonable? Are you buying quite a few? Do you know if they'll supply just one or two as I'm only looking for 2" 2.5" and 3" maybe a couple of each

#12 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

So do we have to quote that number? Is the p&p reasonable? Are you buying quite a few? Do you know if they'll supply just one or two as I'm only looking for 2" 2.5" and 3" maybe a couple of each

Im thinking of buying 20 3" pre plugged tubes, but its going to cost me £100 inc p&p and thats with 4-6 weeks delivery :( i have enquired at several cardboard tube manufacturers to see if they turn out cheaper.
ill use this as a last resort if i have no luck elsewhere and as far as i know there is no minimum order.

#13 MMMMMM Pyro

MMMMMM Pyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:48 PM

Hi,
You could try this place:
http://spfireworks.c...at=MORTAR TUBES
They are based in the UK and while I haven't bought from them; the guy I spoke to seemed really nice. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Mike

#14 Wyvern

Wyvern

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hi,
You could try this place:
http://spfireworks.c...at=MORTAR TUBES
They are based in the UK and while I haven't bought from them; the guy I spoke to seemed really nice. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Mike

looks promising but £100/20 is £5 per tube with shipping wheraa on that site they are £7.50 each not including shipping, im placing the order to night, ill share the outcome :)

#15 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

Might be just what I'm looking for though thanks. I only want a couple on 2" 2.5" and 3" However when I click add to cart SPFB2.5 and SPFB3 I get ( There is no product that matches the search criteria.) Typical
I guess they just might be out of stock

Looks like the see visco and jap time fuse too! Do youhave to be trade or will the sell to anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users