• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

I can confirm that SP fireworks *do* have plenty of stock with mortar tubes as I was in their shop on Saturday, along with a number of other UKPS members. I would think that the errors you got were problems with the website. If you call them then you should be able to order over the phone.

Please remember that UKPS members enjoy big discount on RRP at SP Fireworks [ie: they get the "members price" on the site]. In addition such items as fuse and hemis are sold. You do have to be a card carrying member of the UKPS though!

#17 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

SP do have the tubes in stock it's just that their online ordering system is a bit iffy, sometimes the product codes that it tries to add to the cart are not correct. Try ringing or e-mailing like Regi says.
Category 4 Trained to BPA Level 1 Equivalent.

#18 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:46 AM

Do you have to be a member to buy mortar tubes though?

#19 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

Nope, you do not need to be a member.

#20 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:16 PM

I emailed them an hour or so ago but so far have had no response, regarding price and availability. I hope they can help with this one

#21 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

I emailed them an hour or so ago but so far have had no response, regarding price and availability. I hope they can help with this one

It would be better to phone them, it usually takes a day or two to get an e-mail reply from them.

#22 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Still not had an email reply from SP so I tried calling a few times too and it's just an answer phone directing you to either a plastics company?? :unsure: or to leave a message for SP.

Can anyone tell me that has an account set up with SP if you click on the picture of item spfb2.5 mortar a window comes up with hostingxp user name and password. If this is filled in will it then allow this item to be added to cart? or is that a blank link too, as if you had clicked order this item online now.

I cant see anything about carriage charges either and am unable to contact anyone to find out

#23 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:40 PM

Still not had an email reply from SP so I tried calling a few times too and it's just an answer phone directing you to either a plastics company?? :unsure: or to leave a message for SP.

Can anyone tell me that has an account set up with SP if you click on the picture of item spfb2.5 mortar a window comes up with hostingxp user name and password. If this is filled in will it then allow this item to be added to cart? or is that a blank link too, as if you had clicked order this item online now.

I cant see anything about carriage charges either and am unable to contact anyone to find out

Carriage: Generally he will only deliver if it's a large order, but if you're just ordering tubes they will probably arrange mail/courier delivery with you over the phone.

To add an item to your cart you need to click "*** Buy this item online now!! ***" which should be at the bottom of every product description. If you need any more help PM me and i'll see if I can get SP to e-mail you.

#24 skyglory

skyglory

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 05:53 AM

Ok, i know i'm asking to be spoonfed but i'm having a hard time finding HDPE mortars, i have asked plumbing suppliers for their HDPE pipes but they are not willing to sell me smaller quantities and besides they sell pipes that are either too large (around 4-5mm) or too small (by 3-4mm) so i have no pasting space.

So could anyone direct me to a place that sells preferably already made mortars (And i know about all the american suppliers but i am not willing to pay 100$ shipping for 3 3" mortars) If possible, somewhere in Europe.

Thanks

In your country, You can contact Ales
www.hamex.si
to get HDPE MORTARS.

#25 pihop

pihop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 02:57 PM

So I'v been looking for good HDPE tubes for my 2-5/8" shells. So the ideal ID would be precicely 3".
All the 3" mortars I'v found so far has been 3.07" and steve at pyrogear didn't recomend fireing 2-5/8" shells from thos mortars.

So does anyone know a place wher I can find 3" mortars that actually are 3"??

#26 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

Not sure on 3" HDPE but 3" fibreglass from

SP Fireworks

I am waiting for Sizzle to get me a couple in the post today or tomorrow so I can let you know what the quality is like when I hopefully get them near the end of this week.

#27 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

I assume these are the 2 5/8" Plastic shells? If so I have fired them from the standard 3" mortars no problems. One thing you can do is to paste a few layers over the shell with paper or straping tape. I feel it makes the burst better as well as providing a better lift seal.

Another thing you can do is to take masking tape and just wrap around the equator to make like of a saturn shaped shell. Ball in the middle with a fatter waist, or ring if you will. I believe this was outlined in Blesser's book.

#28 pihop

pihop

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:31 PM

I assume these are the 2 5/8" Plastic shells? If so I have fired them from the standard 3" mortars no problems. One thing you can do is to paste a few layers over the shell with paper or straping tape. I feel it makes the burst better as well as providing a better lift seal.

Another thing you can do is to take masking tape and just wrap around the equator to make like of a saturn shaped shell. Ball in the middle with a fatter waist, or ring if you will. I believe this was outlined in Blesser's book.

Thats correct, they are indeed plastic ball shells.
I'v fired one out of my standard 3" as well with about 30g of homemade BP and it only flew okay. Not good, just okay. I just hate it when the shells can rattle around in the mortar, it feels so...unprofessional.

Since the break is already really good with a few strips of glassfiber tape I don't want to overpaste or so.
I was thinking i could just paste on some thing to make the fit better and not affect the break so much.
As it is now i have a gap of about 5mm all the way round the shell.

Btw. are the mortars from SP exactly 3" ID. It just says they are made for firing 3" shells so i suspect they are also 3,07".

#29 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 01:04 PM

I've just received my 2.5" and 3" Mortars and measured the diameter. They are exactly that size as far as the accuracy of my tape measure! How would 0.07" make any drastic difference anyhow? That equates to 1.778mm in total which is 0.889mm extra gap on each side. The Mortars are bright yellow with the size clearly printed on. They seem quite good quality.

Has anyone fired any 2 1/4" shells from these? My shells weigh about 70g there is a gap of 1/8" each side

My 1 5/8" shells fired from a 1.75" mortar. There is 1/16" gap at each side of these. I have found that 5g of my lift is not enough. 10g is spot on.

For a 1st attempt at my 2 1/4" based on that info, what would you pro's use?

#30 sizzle

sizzle

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 February 2007 - 02:01 PM

I have only fired the exact size shells from the SP tubes but I have fired shells in other tubes with a few millimetre gaps around the edge and they seem to perform the same and lift just as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users