• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#46 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:36 AM

IF UoG still own the site and have a factory licence for it, and that is a big IF!

An approach to UoG to run an energetic materials module in an appropriate degree course would be a start. They would have a Unique Selling Point for a revised course, and a requirement to securely vet all takers! There would ba investment by them for the prospect of a return in course fees.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#47 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:10 AM

Ahh sounds like a good idea to me, a course on fireworks or the compositions only :> wish I could have something like that. I do think it will bring them al ot of money as science can be so boring on its own (at times) so people will be really interested in this sort of subject.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#48 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:44 AM

I think one major expense that has been overlooked would be the upgrading of gates and fencing to make the place totally secure and this would be one of the first jobs required. It would be a shame to restore some buildings for some chav scumbucket to pop in with a gallon of petrol and some matches.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#49 concept

concept

Complies with BS7114: Part 2 1988...Not

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:26 PM

Mortartube is right, the fence that is round the site now is all but a pile of rust and the gates are non-existent, fencing off the site would be our first priority (once we've secured the land). Here's a link to a somewhere that sell's the type of fence that the site needs http://www.steelfence.co.uk/. The site is pretty big so it would require a lot of fence, does anyone have and idea on the price per meter?

Thanks Doug

Edited by concept, 26 July 2008 - 12:28 PM.

#50 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

Yes the fence will be a major issue and will require more investment than the sheds them selfs lol. The actual buildings are merely wooden sheds with outer corrugated iron sheets (personally I think it isn't the best material for such a building :huh: with the risk of sparks, static and rust). Some of the buildings are made from brick and probably can be restored with some hard work.

The site also needs some serious weed killer :> and tree chopping which I think alone will make it look much more better and also will show how much work is needed.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 26 July 2008 - 01:12 PM.

#51 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

I wish there was an easy to understand requirement for what constitutes security fencing from the HSE point of view on firework manufacturing premises!

I know metal fencing is the obvious and sensible choice when it comes to securing storage containers and the immediate entrance to the site etc,........ but given a lot of it is on marsh land close to the river, I would like to see if its possible to have water filled ditches/dykes and thorn bushes planted around the perimeter as another way to secure the site!...........or is this not realistic or practical?.

Basic firework chemistry (the do`s and dont`s), shell construction, production methods, the building/contruction and operating of basic firework machinery, converting small manufacturing premises (sheds), safe mixing techniques, firework tooling and its making, innovation/automation of new firework making techniques, charcoal & BP making, fuse making, how to video`s on safety, how to video`s on the artistic production of a display, creating remote control firing methods, presentations on how to co-ordinate and deal with other organisations when wanting to put on a display is something that I would like to see as the main focus of the course work or degree/qualification.

Also, I maybe wrong or a little naive of todays youth, but in my experience as a former volunteer youth worker,.............. if the premises and its organisers was to engage local youth at some point, I think there would less vandalism of the site through the boredom of youth!........this could mean having a water rocket making/launching for the younger one`s on certain days...(sure fire way of recruiting for the future of our industry).

#52 concept

concept

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 08:04 PM

If a full blown factory did open up then people to work there would be needed, considering that UKPS members are scattered all over the country the local people would make up the majority of the workers. Having open days and fun days for kids would be a great way of reintroducing this industry to general public and hopefully would attract people who would like to work there. Although opening a full scale factory would realistically be a few years off, but anything is possible :rolleyes: .

#53 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:59 PM

Took a little drive today to see the site at joyce green!........took my camera, only to forget the batteries = (im really annoyed with myself).

Anyway, wow what a place!....I fell in love with it = so remote and quiet with beautiful countryside considering its location, I counted 6 or 7 really old buildings/sheds, some could easily be used again for basic storage, some could be preserved for historical reasons, the rest should probably be pulled down and be replaced with portacabins.

I couldn`t get around to seeing most of the site due to me not wearing enough clothing to protect myself from the bramble etc, but I believe this site could easily be cleared (overgrown) with enough volunteers over a period of a few months with some heavy duty strimmers and persistance (providing we get permission from the owners of course).

The entrance to the site has enough fencing structure and a temporary bollard in place to be secured for the long term,... (from what I can see)...........some of it is surrounded by little brooks with marshy/water ditches combined with some fencing and overgrown planting = (making it ideal for security purposes).

Also this site would make a wonderful place to hold weekend camping/firework events for our society!.......(there is so much potential there).

If I won the lottery, I would seriously consider buying the place myself, having said that, I would love to sell my house and move in on the site as it is (in a caravan if need be).

If you visit the place yourself........make sure there is two of you for safety reasons, I would wear wellies or good strong boots and googles with gloves, also if possible bring a machetti or something to hack-down some of the bramble!

Those that fancy meeting up at the site for a few hours looking around,..............just message me!

#54 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:11 PM

MDH posted this link in another thread, thought it would be useful to have it here:

http://ca.youtube.co...h?v=NUmqccpElfw

Also notice the empty Mikolit bag. Borehole sealing pellets - for sealing the boreholes made during geotechnical reasearch of sites, and also useful for filling pits in with too. Most likely plenty of geotech work has bee ndone on this site to attempt to establish the levels of land contamination.
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#55 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:19 PM

I noticed on the Royal Gunpowder Mills website that they have had National Heritage Lottery funding.

Can`t the UKPS commitee members start to make some informal representations to the UoG about working on a joint project to transform this site?.......then we would have grounds to apply for various fundings from different organisations.

I like Arthur Browns idea on an energetic degree module as part of a degree course, but I would also like to see one or more of the following happen:-

1, A small museum with old machinery in place, with inert demo`s on making fireworks, a history of the site from when it was a POW camp, there could be old firework casings on display, to public lectures/films on safety with fireworks, we could perhaps even rent/buy all those old pathe news films on fireworks.

2, Some of the sheds and out-buildings could be preserved and used for storage with alarm systems in place.

3, New fencing and planting of willow bushes and trees to make make charcoal.

4, Portable cabins/buildings for medium scale firework making for UKPS members or students on the degree energetics courses could be used.

5, This place could be open to school visits perhaps with a demo of daylight fireworks.

6, If the site is planned correctly, we could section off the building areas, and create a public area for them to let off fireworks once a week...............this could include ready-made launching areas for rockets, and posts for catherine wheels etc,.........it might be possible to provide catering facilites/toilets to make some money perhaps!

7, Once a month, we could invite other pyro display companies to compete against us hobbyists and students, the texting money created by people voting on the winner could also help raise funds for the upkeep of the site.

Any other ideas from you guys?

#56 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 02 September 2008 - 09:55 PM

Bad news some of the factory is in even more damage :(. More buildings have collapsed and some more burnt out including some old storage building near the end of the site.

#57 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

Bad news some of the factory is in even more damage :( . More buildings have collapsed and some more burnt out including some old storage building near the end of the site.

Hi pyrotechnist, Did you get any photo`s?.........when did you last visit?

#58 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

Wasn't me who visited it was another member of this forum. It seems people are starting to vandalize this place a lot more now :(.

#59 concept

concept

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 08:12 PM

It was me that visited the factory just over a week ago, another two more huts have collapsed, one near the left hand side of the entrance and another smaller one. The large tube magazine at the top of the site has been completely burnt out and one of the roof panels has fallen in. Other than that it's just the same, i'll post the pics we took some time this week.

Edited by concept, 03 September 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#60 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:45 PM

Thanks Concept!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users