82 replies to this topic

#61 concept

concept

Complies with BS7114: Part 2 1988...Not

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:05 PM

Hi all as promised the pics from my visit, I’ve made them into a video and added in some old pictures of the place as well so you can see what has changed. Enjoy. If any of you want any of the original images sent to you in high quality just drop me a PM with you e-mail.

Thanks Doug

#62 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

Great Video!

A lot more left than I would have thought...

Would be great if something could be done.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#63 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:46 PM

Nice vid mate :).
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#64 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Nice one Concept, I loved the mix of aerial and old/new photo`s.

I really hope the UKPS can get themselves organised to a stage where they can make representations to try and regenerate this site in some capacity..............I believe there is definately grant money out there to get something going!

#65 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:09 AM

I really hope the UKPS can get themselves organised to a stage where they can make representations to try and regenerate this site in some capacity..............I believe there is definately grant money out there to get something going!

I'll bring this up at the next meeting if there is time.

However as I'm sure you are all aware, something like this would be a MAJOR, long term undertaking for a group of dedicated volunteers. UKPS is currently spread pretty thin with several projects being undertaken by not many people.

If any of the people contributing to this thread want to undertake the work, I'm sure Richard and the team would be delighted to hear your proposals.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#66 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:48 PM

Sounds good to me, who would want to volunteer for a group like this? I would love to as it will be great to save this place.

#67 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:22 PM

The important thing to realise is that we are only a small organisation with a lot of projects on the go already. If people want to take on a large (we are talking thousands of of man hours) task like this then they need to get together and work out what can be done. We will of course provide support and assistance where possible but ultimately it is down to you chaps to make things like this happen. I'd suggest you all arrange a meeting or setup a working party to discuss a way forward. Again this is something we can help with (e.g. a mailing list, separate forum etc).

#68 concept

concept

Complies with BS7114: Part 2 1988...Not

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Just to let everyone know, I tried to visit again today and too my disappointment the gates were shut and locked, I could also hear banging coming from inside, I’m assuming it was random pikey destruction rather than an actual demolition, but either way it didn’t sound good.

Cheers Doug

#69 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 09:03 PM

How the hell would pikey's get in though if it was locked :o? I hope they haven't took over the place again. Any chance you can go back for another look?

I ain't sure why but this image shows horses or cows within the factory site and hay bails.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 04 January 2009 - 09:57 PM.

#70 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 01:12 AM

For anyone interested I thought I would re-colour an old aerial shot of Wells' Fireworks. Here it is:

Posted Image

#71 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:29 PM

Liked the red colouring of the huts pyrotechnist!

Just to let you guys know,...........I have made contact with the UoG facility manager today in a email enquiring about arranging some informal talks with the UKPS about the Joyce Green site.

The feed back is,.......I quote ;- "Dear Mr Brock, I will pass on your request but I have to say that the
site could not be brought into use for any purpose without a very
significant investment by any future occupier. The Society would
therefore need to provide proof of its ability to make this investment
before any meaningful discussion could take place. Regards, Chris
Powner

My reply was basically along the lines of raising funds by researching the various government grants available, and perhaps some blood sweat and tears from ourselves on weekends for those who don`t mind a bit of hard graft clearing the overgrowth!

I also think we need to engage the likes of perhaps English Heritage as well,

Also, it was interesting to read an article in `The Times` this weekend on a plan thrown out by the government against Sir James Dysons (dyson vacuum cleaner) call for a national engineering school,.............instead, Peter Jones (dragons den) won govenment backing for a entrepreneurship institution teaching school.

erm.........I wonder if either of them would like to donate to the UKPS in respect of the old Wells factory?

#72 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

While it's a wonderful idea, take a look at a plan of the site and consider the cost of a fence. It has to be chav proof so probably 12ft high chainlink with triple barbed wire on top, and you will possibly need 3 MILES of fence to go round the site. The cost of the huts will be trivial compared to the cost of the fence.

The only way to make some money back would be to get a HSE licence for storage there for many tonnes and rent out by the tonne, that way you could afford 24/7 security with CCTV etc and prety major alarm systems
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#73 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:44 AM

While it's a wonderful idea, take a look at a plan of the site and consider the cost of a fence. It has to be chav proof so probably 12ft high chainlink with triple barbed wire on top, and you will possibly need 3 MILES of fence to go round the site. The cost of the huts will be trivial compared to the cost of the fence.

The only way to make some money back would be to get a HSE licence for storage there for many tonnes and rent out by the tonne, that way you could afford 24/7 security with CCTV etc and prety major alarm systems

Agreed that you would need high security fencing to surround a storage area for a few containers containing explosive materials (HSE regs etc), and to renew the front entrance gates area etc, but Im not sure you would need to ring the whole site with 3 miles of fencing of any sort,........some good planting and ditch digging would suffice as far as im concerned.

As far as I can see,....the vandalism damage is caused by neglected huts that have rotten doors and no locks on them (kids break in and start fires), or have not been repaired for years (where the outside panels are missing or loose).

The brick built building where the electrical fuse boxes are located could be secured fairly easily for lighter storage.

#74 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 11:57 AM

There seems to be a few organizations who may be willing to give you a grant for such a project. I like the idea personally, though wouldn't it be a better idea to only buy or use half of the site? instead of all the site which will keep fencing costs down etc. For instance the top right side of the site is pretty much just empty land and could be kept as is while the bottom parts would need re-refurbishment. If people had the time to do it I am sure groups of us could get together and cut the trees and shrubs down our self for little cost or maybe a small display at the end of the day lol. I am just wondering what we would use the site for after, London based UKPS headquarters maybe?

#75 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:48 PM

It would be great to have a UKPS member base in the south east. However will someone with good mapping skill please actually measure the perimeter of the plot as shown on aerial photos and publish on here the length of perimeter. Then we need to have a good idea of the cost of high security fencing for that length.

As my guess, £500,000 would fence the plot, and £500,000 would be remedial work to existing buildings.

This ASSUMES that the local council will accept an explosives establishment in their area, and that HSE would consider the project.

An advance budget of £200,000 should get the correct advice about the intentions of HSE and the local planning authority.

Then if the project actually comes to fruition (IF) Someone will have to mow the grass every week keep the wildlife under control and keep the chavs OUT 24/7.

This project needs a project manager from the forum or the society who is fully familiar with multi-million pound projects. AND There is no certainty that the local council will easily approve of a planning application.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users