54 replies to this topic

#16 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 08:55 PM

I really scoured the video for clues as to it's authenticity. I found a few, fairly trivial points.
  • Loads of Sodium bicarbonate is added. In a paraffin wax smoke, more than a couple of pinches can be enough to stop the grenade from lighting The sodium bicarbonate is added while the mixture is still hot. This would cause it to decompose. Obviously this doesn't make it fake, but might reduce the amount you need.
  • There is no flame at all, this could be a byproduct of the huge amount of bicarb, but it seems a little suspicious.
  • It needs 1hr to set. In my experience it takes around 20mins, but it might just be to ensure it is set.
  • The smoke erupts from the bottom really fast, within a few seconds of the mixture being lit, the grenade is smoking from both ends. This just wouldn't happen in solid KNSU mixture.
None of the comments claim it doesn't work, but most of them are people asking where to get KNO3, so they probably haven't managed to find the dye.
I cannot tell if the smoke is in the same case when it is lit, the duct tape makes it hard to tell, but there seems to be a line around the grenade when it's lit, and not when its taped up?
I'm gonna try using Bicarb and KNSU tommorow to investigate :ph34r:

#17 pyroman89

pyroman89

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:21 PM

I cannot tell if the smoke is in the same case when it is lit, the duct tape makes it hard to tell, but there seems to be a line around the grenade when it's lit, and not when its taped up?

Also if you notice when they are lighting the grenade the cotton sticks out more and like you said theres a line around it. It looks like they could have got a commercial smoke flare and duct taped it but failed to make it look the same.
too signature your as this put, twice this in backwards word the saw you because backwards this read to enough smart were you if.

#18 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:29 PM

Sorry to get your hopes up guys, I'm afraid it's a fake. I tested a few variations and frankly they were all awful. Even worse than standard KNSU. The bicard did its job and lowed the reaction several times, as well as making it harder to light, but it just produced the same amount of smoke in triple the time, a fairly pathetic thin cloud. I will collaborate the videos I got to show you the difference.

Heres the video. It isn't very good, but you get the idea http://uk.youtube.co...ITD8c-H6c&eurl=

Edited by Asteroid, 15 July 2007 - 04:11 PM.

#19 Longbow

Longbow

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 04:23 PM

Ah well, nice job Asteroid.

#20 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 08:03 PM

I also posted the video on metacafe. I'd really appreciate it if those who have an account or a few minutes take the time to rate it and back me up with a little scientific knowledge. Thanks

#21 pudi.dk

pudi.dk

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 09:50 PM

http://www.metacafe...._smoke_grenade/

?????
Videos visit: http://www.pudi.dk

#22 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

Looks like the igniter will work, but unfortunately he's making claims about the smoke mix again

edit: interestingly, all my comments on his videos have been removed

Edited by Asteroid, 17 July 2007 - 01:23 PM.

#23 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 01:46 PM

ditto what i wrote is gone. :(

#24 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 12 August 2007 - 04:20 PM

the rabbit hole goes deeper and the Bovine Scatology gets worse!

http://www.metacafe....glowing_tomato/

this has been tested by several Chemists (myself included) and he`s full of shit!
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#25 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 10:02 AM

Looking at his comments it appears there is a lot of ignorant people willing to believe anything they see.

I might make a 'how to make a m-80 out of stuff in your kitchen' video (appeals to the kids), mix salt (call it explosive primary 1 available in supermarket) with black pepper (metallic fuel), put it in a nice glossy tube, fuse it and show a video of a banger going off. Sync the whole video up with a sound track and fancy editing and kick back and wait for the cash to roll in :)

#26 dr thrust

dr thrust

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:08 PM

where can i get some of this "black pepper"? ;)

#27 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

it all makes Sense Now!!!!!

I`ve been wondering for Ages what BP meant :P
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#28 BIOHAZARD

BIOHAZARD

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 02:18 PM

check out this link
Organic Dyes
to buy organic dye for making coloured smoke b**bs

#29 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 04:21 PM

Don't be so sure about that. Not all organic dyes are created equal for pyro.

#30 Asteroid

Asteroid

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

I might make a 'how to make a m-80 out of stuff in your kitchen' video (appeals to the kids), mix salt (call it explosive primary 1 available in supermarket) with black pepper (metallic fuel), put it in a nice glossy tube, fuse it and show a video of a banger going off. Sync the whole video up with a sound track and fancy editing and kick back and wait for the cash to roll in :)

Dammit, good idea, if the people who are claiming this video is real are just saying it without trying it, then I guess you stand to make quite a bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users