63 replies to this topic

#16 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 08:47 AM

At least you guys have some info on what to do and get.

The only thing i can get (without owning a business and selling my organs) is a fireworks license which allows me to buy and shoot off fireworks. Only thing is it costs a few hundred for the day which involves being told a few safety things (that i already know), loading a few shells into a mortar and setting up a few other things. I cant see the benefit in it.

In the big picture, there is little motivation for getting some sort of permit. Most of us exceed standards with regard to chemical and device storage and use. The only benefit would be if you injured someone or got raided but unless your illegally selling or doing utterly stupid things the chance of that is very remote.

I don't see any problem with making small fireworks in a domestic environment, follow a few simple storage rules and the chance of a accident or destroying your house are slim to none. By making i don't mean shooting them off on the street, if you do that you deserve whats coming. But small tests in the backyard are fine as long as they don't disturbe anyone.

#17 Andrew

Andrew

Rocket Scientist, no really, I am!

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

At least you guys have some info on what to do and get.

Check out the legal section of the forum, or the post above your last one. MSER 2005 is the latest legislation governing all that we do, it is freely available on the internet through the crown copyright.

I don't see any problem with making small fireworks in a domestic environment, follow a few simple storage rules and the chance of a accident or destroying your house are slim to none. By making i don't mean shooting them off on the street, if you do that you deserve whats coming. But small tests in the backyard are fine as long as they don't disturbe anyone.

Quite. Again, check out the threads on legalities. Also as Rich recently announced the UKPS is working on a guide to what is legal without paying the HSE anything, and that you can do to enhance your manufacture.storing capabilities. This should be an interesting read.

Also on that note, support the cause everyone, become a member of the UKPS if you value your freedom!! :D . With time (and more members) the society will be able to lobby government about our issues and needs, as well as provide legal support, training/qualifications and insurance for hobby level stuff, and guidance for getting licensed. Probably in the not too distant future a network of factories and maybe even an exemption granted by the HSE for hobby firework and rocket manufacture and use (just like the exemption enjoyed by historical re-enactment buffs). It is all possible, but more members mean faster progress.

#18 marble

marble

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

Thats all good and what not but im on the other side of the world :)

#19 YT2095

YT2095

The Resourceful One.

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

Re: Post #16.

that IS good news indeed!
that`s something I feel comfortable with both Legally and Financially :)

and with even the Lowest License type would more than cover me and my needs, the Biggest "device" (a fountain) only takes about 15g tops anyway in the sort I`m interested in and likely to make.

the Storage aspect is good too, as I Like Rocket car races with my friends once a year, and although the engines are factory made, it would be nice to know that I can keep these engines in my Ammo tin and use them when the weather is ideal rather than worry about HAVING to use them before a certain time frame.

Thanks Andrew :)
"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom" - Death

#20 redcone

redcone

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 02:00 PM

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for your informative post.
Can I just check the following as it confused me:

"For what we do except in quantities greater then 100g, (i.e. Make a firework, set off the firework, EXPERIMENTALLY of course at present), you need a “Licence to manufacture explosives by means of on-site mixing”. This costs:"

Should this have been except for quantities LESS than 100g?

Putting it another way, is it legal to make an experimental firework and fire it in-situ without a manufacturing licence provided it is under 100g?

Thanks,
Redcone.

Edited by redcone, 08 August 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#21 Andrew

Andrew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:28 AM

Should this have been except for quantities LESS than 100g?

Putting it another way, is it legal to make an experimental firework and fire it in-situ without a manufacturing licence provided it is under 100g?
Thanks,
Redcone.

You are right, well spotted.

I've prepared a few exemptions that already exist that are applicable to us. I suggest that everyone downloads and reads a copy of MSER 2005, I've linked to a copy that I have here. MSER.rar

It is crown copyright so I'm not too happy about posting large sections of it. btw, this thread might be better off in the law section.

from MSER 2005

PART 3

LICENSING AND REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS

Explosives not to be manufactured without a licence
- (1) Subject to paragraph (2), no person shall manufacture explosives unless he holds a licence for that manufacture and complies with the conditions of that licence.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to -

(a) the manufacture of explosives for the purpose of laboratory analysis, testing, demonstration or experimentation (but not for practical use or sale) where the total quantity of explosives being manufactured at any time does not exceed 100 grams, but nothing in this sub-paragraph shall be taken as authorising any acquisition or keeping of explosives for which an explosives certificate is required by virtue of regulation 7 of those Regulations, without such a certificate;

(e) the preparation, assembly and fusing of fireworks, in quantities of no more than 10 kilograms at a time, at a site in relation to which a person holds a licence or registration for the storage of explosives, for the purposes of a firework display to be put on by that person;

(f) the preparation, assembly and fusing of explosives commissioned for use in theatrical, television or cinematic special effects; (Interesting one that I left in)

(h) the mixing for immediate use of - (he he, left this one in as well)

(i) ammonium nitrate with fuel oil; or

(ii) ammonium nitrate blasting intermediate with another substance,

Explosives not to be stored without a licence
- (1) Subject to paragraph (2), no person shall store explosives unless he holds a licence for their storage and complies with the conditions of that licence.

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to -

(a) the storage of explosives by a person registered in accordance with regulation 11;

(b) the storage of one or more of the following -

(i) no more than 10 kilograms of black powder;

(d) the storage of hazard type 3 or 4 explosives for no longer than 24 hours;

(e) the storage of no more than 100 kilograms of -

(i) hazard type 3 explosives consisting of fireworks;

(ii) shooters' powders; or

(iii) a combination of shooters' powders and hazard type 3 and 4 explosives consisting of fireworks,

provided that the explosives are stored for no longer than 3 days in their place of intended use;

(f) the storage of -

(i) no more than 250 kilograms of hazard type 4 explosives provided that the explosives are stored for no more than 3 days in their place of intended use; or

(ii) no more than 50 kilograms of hazard type 4 explosives consisting solely of fireworks provided that the fireworks are stored for no longer than 21 days and are not for sale or for use at work;

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (2) -

(a) no more than one of the exceptions listed in subparagraphs (a) to (f) of paragraph (2) may be relied on in relation to explosives stored at the same site at the same time, irrespective of the person who is storing them; and

(b) the quantities referred to in that paragraph are the maximum quantities of the explosives or explosive articles they respectively relate to which may be present at a site at any one time.

Registration in relation to storage
- (1) Subject to paragraph (5), a person who wishes to store within one site at any one time no more than -

(a) 30 kilograms of explosives of any hazard type;

(b) 100 kilograms of hazard type 3 explosives;

© 100 kilograms of a combination of hazard type 3 explosives with explosives of hazard type 4;

(d) 250 kilograms of hazard type 4 explosives; or

may apply to the licensing authority in whose area the storage will take place to be registered in respect of that storage.

(2) The licensing authority shall register the applicant unless any of the grounds for refusing to do so referred to in regulation 15 apply.

(3) Where a licensing authority registers an applicant, it shall issue the applicant with a certificate of registration, in a form approved for the time being for the purposes of this regulation by the Executive.

(4) A registration, not being a renewal of a registration, shall remain in force for such period not exceeding two years as the licensing authority determines, save that -

(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b), where the applicant for the registration has been granted an explosives certificate, a registration may be granted for any period not exceeding the due expiry date of that explosives certificate where that date is later than that two year period; or

(b) where the application for registration relates, whether solely or not, to the storage of smokeless powder, a registration may be granted for any period not exceeding three years.

(5) For the purposes of paragraph (1) no more than one of the exceptions listed in sub-paragraphs (a) to (e) of paragraph (1) shall apply to explosives stored at the same site at the same time, irrespective of the person who is storing them.

(6) Where the registration relates to the storage at a site of pyrotechnic articles which are to be offered for sale at that site, the amount of those pyrotechnic articles which may be kept for any period of time in a sales area at that site shall be restricted to the amount determined in accordance with Schedule 3 and for these purposes and those of Schedule 3, "sales area" means an area where pyrotechnic articles are sold and to which any person who is not an employee of the person who is registered in respect of the storage of those pyrotechnic articles has access.

(7) No application for registration may be made in respect of the storage of explosives at a site at which the manufacture of explosives also takes place or is to take place.

(8) The quantities referred to in paragraph (1) are the maximum quantities of the explosives or explosive articles they respectively relate to which may be present at a registered site at any one time.

(9) A renewal of a registration may be granted for any period not exceeding one year, save that -

(a) subject to sub-paragraph (b), where the applicant for the renewal has been granted an explosives certificate, a renewal of a registration may be granted for any period not exceeding the due expiry date of that explosive certificate where that date is later than that one year period; or

(b) where the application for renewal of registration relates solely to the storage of smokeless powder, a renewal of registration may be granted for any period not exceeding three years.

end of MSER 2005 quote

Just to clarify.
Hazard Types are akin to transport groups i.e. 1.4 = HT4

Hazard Type 4 = all cat 2 and most cat 3 fireworks. e.g. 2" shell with <2% flash (based on <60g total composition).
Hazard Type 3 = some cat 3 (more powerful ones) and some cat 4 fireworks. e.g. 6" loose shell with <25% flash.
Hazard Type 2 = some cat 4. e.g. >50mm ID Roman Candle containing no flash.
Hazard Type 1 = Big F*ck Off cat 4 Fireworks. e.g. 6" shell with >25% flash.

Check out this link for a detailed classification fo fireworks.

As for loose composition 100g and your safe (given other extra clauses are adhered to), would be good if some one could find out what is defined as HT4/HT3 etc in terms of weights of loose compositions.

So then for NO LICENCE/REGISTRATION one can...

Under MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 9, Paragraph 2, Sub-Paragraph (a);
One can manufacture 100g of ANY explosive, (or a device???), if it was intended for what has been discussed previously, in-situ experimentation/testing/demonstration.

Combo here...
Under MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 9, Paragraph 2, Sub-Paragraph (a);
Under MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 10, Paragraph 2, Sub-Paragraph (b), Section (i);

One can make 100g batches of black powder (arguably also other compositions of lesser power like star comps), and amass a 10kg store that one can keep indefinitely.

Then...
Under MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 9, Paragraph 2, Sub-Paragraph (e);
Under MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 10, Paragraph 2, Sub-Paragraph (f), Section (ii);

Presumably one can convert your store of raw explosives into fireworks in 10kg batches, (n.b. you need to have no raw explosives left at the end of firework assembly, you cannot make any more raw explosives and store them at the same place until the newly made fireworks have left your storage and YOU must use those fireworks in a display that YOU put on). At a separate site you could store up to 50kg of finished fireworks for up to 21 days, starting your manufacture and assembly cycle again.

Be careful of MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 10, Paragraph 3, Sub-Paragraph (a), because it means that you can only use one exemption at any one time.

If one obtained Storage Registration for one's shed, one can...

Presumably Under MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 9, Paragraph 2, Sub-Paragraph (e);
If one had a registration for storage (nice and cheap), one could make any quantity of fireworks (up to their storage capacity), in 10kg batches, provided YOU carry out the display of those fireworks. As you are not using any exemptions in the Regulation 10, as long as you make the composition in 100g batches and assemble fireworks in less than 10kg batches, you can store up to:
250kg of finished cat 2 and low power cat 3 fireworks, or
100kg of finished cat 2 cat 3 and some cat 4 fireworks, or
30kg of finished fireworks of any sort.

If you wanted to play it safe, you would get registered, and then manufacture in 100g batches, and store only up to 30kg of composition (this way you cannot possible break the law because one type of comp is HT2 or HT1 for example), then convert into 30kg NEQ fireworks in 10kg batches.

However the term "practical use" in MSER 2005, Part 3, Regulation 9, Paragraph 2, Sub-Paragraph (a), could exclude one from making devices for a non-experimental display. On that note, we then get into manufacture licensing (which is only a couple of hundred quid mind). However, one could become registered and do all mentioned above (up to 30kg NEQ and all), and demonstrate the use of explosives (as a demonstration but not a practical display), and or experiment (which is what we do most of the time). Just avoid a large scale display to your mates on fireworks night.

Registration is a piece of piss by the way, the form involves your name, address, contact telephone numbers a mobile/out-of-hours number and a couple of box ticking exercises. Oh and a cheque for £72, that's the most difficult part, LMFAO.

To be super safe, one could register to store (currently £72 for first year and then £36 per year thereafter), then get a licence to manufacture explosives by means of on-site mixing which could cost around £400 for the first year and then £75-£180ish per year thereafter. The explosives would be manufactured in batches up to your limit and then stored under your registration. The assembly of fireworks in 10kg batches can take place under the exemption in regulation 9, and then finished fireworks can be stored again under your registration. If you never exceed 30kg of stored composition at any one time in the form of loose powders and or finished devices you will never breach you registration limits. You could go higher (up to 250 kg) provided you know what counts as what.

So £500ish for the first year (and other costs of conforming to manufacturing inspection procedure) and then £110-£220 per year thereafter is not too bad. Then you can tell anyone who says "well isn't that dangerous", to stuff it because I'm licensed.

Edited by Andrew, 20 August 2007 - 08:06 PM.

#22 maxman

maxman

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 705 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:02 PM

But the expensive bit is finding somewhere to do it all from! No licence is going to be granted from a domestic residence,unless maybe that residence has no nearby neighbours and a fair bit of land. Then the cost of Insurance.

Andrew, Do you have any links to what is acceptable in terms of location and distances from buildings? Say I had some land and a shed down my field where I assemble 1lb rockets and 3 or 4" shells. Would permission need to be granted from a neighbour however near or far they live as to if they have any say in the fact someone is making fireworks up the lane?

Also where will one test these devices? You cant move them off site without another licence (more money) What if something did go astray then insurance would be needed (more money) I cant Imagine any company wanting to insure Joe Bloggs for making fireworks and if they do it sure wont be cheap. I would imagine your location would have to be remote even if you got a licence to manufacture , everyone has neighbours so they aren't gonna want pops and bangs going off all the time.

The way I see it is that most on here are not gonna stand a chance of being legal. The best bet would be if the society could find a location and then all chip in as to the costs but even then the UK becomes pretty big so any one location wont be suitable to all. I would find it a bind if I had to travel over an hour each way to make a few rockets.

#23 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

[quote name='maxman' date='Aug 9 2007, 12:02 PM' post='36859']
But the expensive bit is finding somewhere to do it all from! No licence is going to be granted from a domestic residence,unless maybe that residence has no nearby neighbours and a fair bit of land. Then the cost of Insurance.

Andrew, Do you have any links to what is acceptable in terms of location and distances from buildings? Say I had some land and a shed down my field where I assemble 1lb rockets and 3 or 4" shells. Would permission need to be granted from a neighbour however near or far they live as to if they have any say in the fact someone is making fireworks up the lane?

Also where will one test these devices? You cant move them off site without another licence (more money) What if something did go astray then insurance would be needed (more money) I cant Imagine any company wanting to insure Joe Bloggs for making fireworks and if they do it sure wont be cheap. I would imagine your location would have to be remote even if you got a licence to manufacture , everyone has neighbours so they aren't gonna want pops and bangs going off all the time.

The way I see it is that most on here are not gonna stand a chance of being legal. The best bet would be if the society could find a location and then all chip in as to the costs but even then the UK becomes pretty big so any one location wont be suitable to all. I would find it a bind if I had to travel over an hour each way to make a few rockets.

I will offer a personal viewpoint here.

If you read through the MSER you will find the answers to the questions so PLEASE chaps get hold of a copy and read it. It is incredibly important if you want to practice this subject, maybe the most important document you will need to read. I accept it isn't easy going but this doesn't alter the fact that you NEED to gain familiarity with the very regulations which could enable you to pursue your chosen activity or, god forbid, be used to prosecute you!

I know of places (domestic residences) where licenses have been granted. Naturally you need to observe minimum safety distances, in the case of hazard type 4 material these distances are suprisingly small, in the case of hazard type 1 they are not. You will just need to check out the distance tables which are all there, consider the hazard type for any given operation or product or material and there you have it - I know I have simplified the problem but you just need to look. It is all there chaps and, as I have stated previously, not beyond reach. The type of activity you descibe here, shells and large rockets - presumably with flash burst compositions would need to observe hazard type 1 distances though and will need to position a workshop well away from the nearest occupied building or highway etc.

As regards moving material off site, as far as I am concerned provided that you do not take explosive materials onto the public highway - we are talking about the Road Carriage (Transport of Explosives) Regs then this might not be prohibitive. I would check this out and I could stand to be corrected here, but you would not, I believe, be committing an offence if an explosive device were to be carried over private land for testing, beyond the boundary of an explosive site. You would need the permission of the land owner though naturally. Nonetheless you are not completely limited. The firing of a firework is not an activity which needs to be conducted within a licensed factory of course. Otherwise there would be a great many offences committed on November 5th in this country!

It may well be an idea for some of you to collectively share the responsibility of licensing small factories within geographical areas if you are not able to do so individually or at least explore the feasibility of doing so.

And by the way, comments were made a while back regarding the role of the H.S.E. and supposed attitiudes of the Inspectors acting for them. I can fully understand the frustration felt when an individual considers his civil liberties are being challenged and am not a judgemental character by nature. To counter the comments made elsewhere on the forums I have to state that we were visited this afternoon in the course of an impromptu factory inspection, Our Inspector was anything but the horrendous depiction described elsewhere on these forums (I am not paying lip-service to him - I KNOW he doesn't personally read these forums) but was an incredibly helpful and caring chap. He was forthcoming with advice and support and, having a longstanding background in the explosives / pyrotechnics industry was extremely experienced and knowledgeable. Advice was requested and answers were provided on the spot. Do not allow misconceived impressions about these people put you off.

Paul M.

#24 Andrew

Andrew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:02 AM

HT4 250kg d=0m (registration limit is 250kg)
300kg d=1m LMFAO

HT3 25kg d=0m (registration limit is 100kg)
50kg d=23m
75kg d=25m
100kg d=29m

HT2 25kg d=73m (registration limit is 30kg)
(73m to vulnerable building all items less than 0.7kg NEQ)

HT1 F*cking Complicated so forget about it!!!

Anyway guys this is all in MSER so read it, I linked to a RAR file with it in, in my previous post on this page.

Here is the Link again MSEf*ckingR.rar Read it, it really is important that you are well acquainted with it. It'll take a couple of hours at most, and it's not all legal jargon it is written in plane English.

If you want to buy the book... ISBN 0110727649, any book shop will be able to get it for you. Amazon sell it for £7.50 + £1.99 to get off their arse and order it in. Here's a thought, UKPS could buy a bulk of the handbooks and say the extra cost could be added to dues for the year if you want a copy, it could get posted with your membership dodars.

Anyway, read it, if you think an exemption is too good to be true, it is, so read the whole thing again until you know what you were thinking wrong. There has been some stories circulation that there is case law where the police and the CPS said that MSER does not apply. This is crap, if the police ever try to tell you this and that the CPS are prosecuting you under the 1875 act, it's always nice to be able to nip it in the bud and say, that 'most of the relevant legislation from the 1875 act was revoked in 2005 by MSER. under MSER 2005 Part 3........' do you get the point. If you are ever arrested under rather frustrating circumstances when you haven't broken the law, the brief you'll end up with will need a week just to figure out what is what because this is such a niche law that most people don't even know exists, you'll spend a fair whack of time in the click before they say, 'sorry about all that, please don't sue for wrongful arrest'. The point is all this can be easily avoided by knowing your stuff, and being discrete yet honest and open.

Edited by Andrew, 10 August 2007 - 12:19 AM.

#25 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:07 AM

Could Spectrum's HSE person be persuaded or paid to offer a briefing day on MSER and it's interpretation.

Sadly the official fees have to be £120 per hour but split between several members this would be more reasonable. Doing this would mean that the advice was officially correct, and show that we are serious in pursuing the hobby in compliance with the law and it's rather specialist statutes.

I suspect that the average PC would have to use the terror legislation because of the lack of understanding of the fireworks legislation.

Each and every thing we each do to conform to the law and HSE best practise keeps us further into a defensible state if there ever is a real investigation.

Training courses stage pyro to cat4, licensed storage, MSER compliance ...... all help to justify our actions.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#26 spectrum

spectrum

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 07:37 AM

Anyway, read it, if you think an exemption is too good to be true, it is, so read the whole thing again until you know what you were thinking wrong. There has been some stories circulation that there is case law where the police and the CPS said that MSER does not apply. This is crap, if the police ever try to tell you this and that the CPS are prosecuting you under the 1875 act, it's always nice to be able to nip it in the bud and say, that 'most of the relevant legislation from the 1875 act was revoked in 2005 by MSER. under MSER 2005 Part 3........' do you get the point. If you are ever arrested under rather frustrating circumstances when you haven't broken the law, the brief you'll end up with will need a week just to figure out what is what because this is such a niche law that most people don't even know exists, you'll spend a fair whack of time in the click before they say, 'sorry about all that, please don't sue for wrongful arrest'. The point is all this can be easily avoided by knowing your stuff, and being discrete yet honest and open.
[/quote]

I couldn't have put it better myself!!. VERY sensible comments made here. As for HSE guidance, I cannot speak for them but it would certainly make sense (Arther Brown) - they seem to be permanently rushed off their feet so who knows. It has to be worthwhile asking. There have been occassional presentations to which members of the industry have been widely invited, I personally think that such an occassion for prospective members of Industry, i.e. some of you lot, would be an excellent idea.

Paul M.

#27 Andrew

Andrew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:13 AM

I know both side of the HSE story, most know what they are doing are are very impartial and professional about their work. But as with all institutions there are always going to be a few rogues with chips off their shoulders.

There is a distinct need for a government body like this, the alternative is mob-rule over topics they are completely ignorant about (like explosives). We do not enjoy the French attitude to H&S, so need a well informed body to act on our behalf as well - you know, when you have a band of mother's meeting enthusiasts trying to ban fireworks outright for example. It's always nice to have a stern government body that will laugh in their faces. The ones we really need to be worried about is policy makers,- Central Government. They can all too often cave into public demand and do some stupid things, like our present government banning pistols in the 90's (and boy there was some fierce lobbying going on). What chance do you think we have if no bugger will join the UKPS and we are not legally entitled to lobby government.

You all ask, "what can I get away with" :angry: :rolleyes: , you should be asking "what can I do to improve my own legal status, and what can I do to help the preservation of these kind exemptions?" ;) .

On a note against HSE workings, I've seen it all too often, but I'll use an example that will hit home. Do you all remember that sad accident that Kim Bolton had a while ago, well the HSE investigation was run by a Marine Biologist!!!!! He must of spent weeks learning the law, and months learning teh physics of a mortar tube falling over in order to even progress past chin rubbing. Thus the investigation took far too long. What happens when the Fuzz lock you up and some dithering tw*t cannot get their head round the law! Think about it, KNOW YOUR STUFF, Join the UKPS (you may benefit from an experienced barrister one day and insurance as part of the membership).

#28 Andrew

Andrew

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:14 AM

Dodgy double posting happening a lot at the mo, please delete!!!

Edited by Andrew, 10 August 2007 - 08:16 AM.

#29 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 12:30 PM

HT4 250kg d=0m (registration limit is 250kg)
300kg d=1m LMFAO

HT3 25kg d=0m (registration limit is 100kg)
50kg d=23m
75kg d=25m
100kg d=29m

HT2 25kg d=73m (registration limit is 30kg)
(73m to vulnerable building all items less than 0.7kg NEQ)

HT1 F*cking Complicated so forget about it!!!

Just to enlarge on this a bit, there are 2 types of authorization, registration (which is basically for small amounts) and licensing (for larger amounts). The threshold wheere it changes is 100Kg for HT3 (which is shells, large rockets and most true display fireworks) - but remember these quantities are NEQ, so for total mass you can generally at least double that, more if there were lots of devices with a low proportion of powder e.g. cakes. Licensing as you might imagine costs more!. The complications in HT1 storage seem to occur because this class includes most types of HE, hence there's differences depending on store construction and whether or not you're storing detonators. If all you have is fireworks it's not so bad, I have a little 1.1 store for my maroon and 8/10" shells, only 40Kg NEQ limit but it's enough and means I have a decent NEQ limit on my big store which is HT3/HT4.
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

#30 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:05 PM

The realistic problem for amateur manufacturers is that the fireworks so made would likely not have the competent authority documentation to certify their safety, so the big Insurance thing arises.

When I first rang round for insurance the first question I was asked was always "where are you going to get the fireworks from" - home made does not cut it!

My Q's to an HSE advisor would go along two routes,

1/ I wish to manufacture for private use in small quantities - how can I lawfully and safely set up a factory for say 100kilos total fireworks.

and on a separate site
"
2/ I wish to lawfully store two tonnes (gross) of type approved fireworks and some fusing materials, How can I lawfully start this safely.

So far the only "material" I have acquired is sugar, and that has all gone in tea.

I do assist with shows for a Pro company, and could do more, and more profitably, if I had a lawfull store. However there is no way I want to get done for possession of a prohibited material then try to apply for a licence to store or manufacture.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users