635 replies to this topic

#31 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 07:15 PM

Just thought of an idea for a ball mill motor. Would one from a food mixer (not processor or blender) work? Just wondering if it would be able to keep going for a few hours becuase I would not have to bother with gears.

Stuart

#32 Richard H

Richard H

Pyro Forum Veteran

• Admin
  • 2,706 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 07:20 PM

It might do...A mixer motor will probably have a higher torque than a blender motor. Why don't you just use an old motor from a second hand washing machine?

#33 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 August 2003 - 07:21 PM

I am considering. We have one-just got to ask pops if I can have it.

#34 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 09:45 AM

Well I finally made my ball mill. Cost me nothing, the milling jar and media were the only things that I payed for. I got the idea to use a desk fan motor, its holding up well. I have it "geared up" with direct drive. I got a sleeve and put it over the roller and the motor. My first batch of proposed "good meal" has been going for 1 hour, only 3 more to go :D I would take photo's but my computer has shat itself so im on our living room computer which doesnt have all the gear I need, perhaps it will get its act together by tommorow.

-Matt
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#35 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 10:24 AM

nice one Matt. i wish i tryed my fan motor. hows it holding up?

#36 Matt

Matt

Another Aussie Trying To take Over

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 06 September 2003 - 03:11 PM

Oh man milled things are awsome. All i need now is some better charcoal, I think I still have some hacked up grapevine in my shed. My video camera is working now so all he video's on my site wont be so big from now on, and you wont need quicktime....... god damn mac's
Try to run! try to hide! Break on through to the other side!! YYYEEEAAAAOOHHHHHHHHAAAAHHHHHHHH

#37 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 13 September 2003 - 09:13 PM

Well, finnished my first Ball Mill and without a dout, it is THE most successful bogge job ever. I set some caster sugar to mill for an hour and it came out like flour! Not bad at all but will have to invest in some cooling for the motor. It's a car wiper motor BTW. The media was brass nuts with lead casted into them. Although the container wasnt half full of them, not bad for about 100g of sugar. Will take some pictures tomorow as its 22:10 here and I am tired.

BTW The motor runs from a car battery so I can stick it in the field out of trouble!
oh and what does other peoples milled chems come out like (flour or finer)?

Stuart

Edited by Stuart, 13 September 2003 - 09:17 PM.

#38 PanMaster

PanMaster

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 11:08 AM

like flour but kind of fluffy, very low density, perhaps a microscope can help to class particle size
Where are the matches?

#39 Steve

Steve

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 01:31 PM

You may want to check on the temperature of the wiper motor as they are not designed for long running time high torque applications. Should be fine as long as you keep an eye on the temperature.

Steve
Inoxia Pyrotechnics - The UK online store for chemicals and other pyrotechnics supplies

#40 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 07:13 PM

True that they are not designed to be run for a long time on high torque but it doesnt complain to much after 2 hours milling. I made some Chlorate BP today as GD have yet to send me a catalogue but I will call them tomorow. Gets quite hot (about 70-90 degrees) but I will buy a computer case fan and stick that onto the battery as well. The battery ran for 2 hours no complaints so its a good working ball mill so far. The guy next door to us says that it should be OK (the motor that is) and he knows his ABC when it comes to cars and their parts, he's been working with them for most of his life and he's about 65+

Stuart

#41 Pyromaster2003

Pyromaster2003

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 07:42 PM

dont like the way you mention making chlorate BP and ball milling in the same text. you didnt mill the CBP did you?...had to ask...

#42 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 14 September 2003 - 08:25 PM

Too late! Lost some fingers! :P

#43 Stuart

Stuart

BPS Member

• General Public Members