• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#16 d3v

d3v

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:59 PM

I believe that some sightings are recordings of past people woven into the fabric of reality and replay over and over again, but I also think there are other dimensional intelligent life forms that can be seen under certain conditions. These lifeforms are massively diverse, demons, angels, aliens, fairies, gnomes, and all the other weird and wonderful creatures many different people swear they once saw sometime in their lives.

Anyone remember the channel 4 program about a complete skeptic who would get involved with different esoteric subjects and activities each weekly episode in an attempt to debunk them all?

Well one episode was about a guy who claimed he could see gnomes and fairies. During the episode, he and the skeptic presenter went to the woods and the dude told the skeptic to place his hand by a small shrub where the man said he could see a gnome standing and to the skeptics horror, his hand started tingling so much that it freaked him out and proclaimed that he is no longer a skeptic of this stuff.

wow!!!

Edited by d3v, 15 August 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#17 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:15 PM

Anyone remember the channel 4 program about a complete skeptic who would get involved with different esoteric subjects and activities each weekly episode in an attempt to debunk them all?

Well one episode was about a guy who claimed he could see gnomes and fairies. During the episode, he and the skeptic presenter went to the woods and the dude told the skeptic to place his hand by a small shrub where the man said he could see a gnome standing and to the skeptics horror, his hand started tingling so much that it freaked him out and proclaimed that he is no longer a skeptic of this stuff.

There was a programme about 15 years ago, called James Randi Psychic Investigator, who did similar tests, all of which failed. He is a long term debunker of psychic powers, most notably Uri Gellar. But this is hardcore scepticism. He is a former stage magician who argues that all "paranormal" feats are just trickery.

I'm also very cynical about psychics, people who speak to the dead etc, people who can tell your future etc. I know people who have had their fortunes read and it all seems very random and pointless. I went to see one- He charged me Ł30, and accepted my money with a big grin and a laugh. So I punched him in the face- I like to strike a happy medium.

(peter cook- classic!)

Edited by David, 15 August 2008 - 01:15 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#18 d3v

d3v

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

Nah this program was on more like 2 years ago or less. I cannot find it on google becuase I forgot the name of it.

Yes there are always frauds that make money from the foolish but then there are some psychics that are the real deal and can dream events in great detail before they happen. Remember that other channel 4 program about that man who paints his dreams and then they come true a while after? Very fascinating.

My sister had a psychic approach her in none other than a night club and told her that her dad was dancing beside her. The psychic had no pre-knowledge that her dad had died of cancer 5 years ago and also described his appearance in great detail.

Edited by d3v, 15 August 2008 - 01:27 PM.

#19 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:40 PM

it happens, My aunt saw my father (her brother) 2 days after he died walking toward the town (he died up country) but when she looked in her mirror there was no one there!!!

#20 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

http://ca.youtube.co...h?v=CSV8vvPW9KI Hoax?

Its good funm, but is just a bit of drama, nothing more. But still good acting, the whole thing comes across as realistic.

Thats the thing with You Tube- anyone can post, so there is some good stuff alongside some... less than good stuff.

#21 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:56 PM

It's a tunnel under stockbridge bypass, which is well know for ghost sightings and paranormal activity.

I think I remember that on TV about 7 or 8 years ago- Children singing/dancing (one of the spookiest images ever- ghostly children, eeriely spooky singing ring-a-ring-a roses).. A policeman so scared he quit his job...

On another note, Ring a Ring a Roses was actually linked to the plague, "A tissue atissue we all fall down" is a fairly direct reference to death. A very creepy theme indeed.

Edited by David, 15 August 2008 - 04:57 PM.

#22 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

I was watching a very interesting video series on you tube from an American scientist who was talking about UFO'S (Not ghosts I know but may be similar). He showed all the scientific facts and video footage showing what NASA had captured in space etc etc. He basically stated that if an object went faster than the speed of light like ultra-violet it would be invisible to the naked eye due to the high speed and energy it will be going at. So what you see may not actually be what is their. But for an object to go faster than light would mean the object would need to turn into energy itself to keep at the speed it was going at. It may be that ghosts are the same in principle.

Here is the link to the first part of the video series.
Linky

Edit: Couldn't see anything in the youtube video of the 2 girls, its that blurry you could probably make out a hundred different shapes from the large pixelated areas.

Edited by pyrotechnist, 15 August 2008 - 08:58 PM.

fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#23 treefingers

treefingers

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:47 PM

Though I have had what some people may call a 'paranormal experiences' I have to say i'm a bit of a skeptic. When presented with so called 'evidence' I like to think in terms of the 'greater miracle'.

This is when confronted with someone who claims they have experienced a paranormal event we should ask ourselves what is the greatest miracle..

.. The person is mistaken and there is a perfectly rational explanation for their experience.
..The person is lying
..Or the person is correct and the laws of science and nature as we know it, (which have been established over hundreds of years) are wrong .

Of course the last reason is the would be the greatest miracle if it were true, therefore it is most likely to be incorrect.

Also the more I learn about psychology the more I realise how flawed our brains are and how we cannot always trust our senses. Simply put our brain does lot of filling in for us and can fool us into thinking we are seeing, hearing or feeling things that aren't really there. Just google 'optical illusion' to see how easy it is. In fact you can fairly easily create paranormal experience in a clinical setting. Just strap a few electrodes onto your temporal lobe and you start seeing and hearing all sorts of crazy things. However telling that to someone who has paranormal experience will most likely get you a punch in the face. Nobody likes to admit that what they see might not exist. People think that it is on par with calling them mentally ill.

Also as for the case that the OP told I personally think it probably was just someone walking in the rain. The craziness of some people never ceases to amaze me, especially when alcohol is involved.
There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.

#24 treefingers

treefingers

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

I was watching a very interesting video series on you tube from an American scientist who was talking about UFO'S (Not ghosts I know but may be similar). He showed all the scientific facts and video footage showing what NASA had captured in space etc etc. He basically stated that if an object went faster than the speed of light like ultra-violet it would be invisible to the naked eye due to the high speed and energy it will be going at. So what you see may not actually be what is their. But for an object to go faster than light would mean the object would need to turn into energy itself to keep at the speed it was going at. It may be that ghosts are the same in principle.

Here is the link to the first part of the video series.
Linky

I'm not sure if this is correct. Einsteins relativity says that as you approach the speed of light your energy turns into mass (E=MC2), so nothing can ever go faster than the speed of light. If it did then it would travel back in time!.. however this is hypothetical as nothing ever could.

#25 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

Also as for the case that the OP told I personally think it probably was just someone walking in the rain. The craziness of some people never ceases to amaze me, especially when alcohol is involved.

Firstly, I do understand, and generally agree with, what you are saying.

But as I say, it was very unusual to see a person down our street at that time, especially given the weather, the time and her lack of coat/crutches. However, what was more unusual was her not being there a minute later. It is certainly possible that she got picked up- a car could have been right behind me, picked her up and been gone in the time it took me to return. The other explaination is that she entered someones front garden.

I don't, for a moment, think I actually saw a ghost. But the situation was unusual.

But yeah- it may well have run like this..... A couple driving back, lost in the bad weather, end up down our road. They argue, the lady demands to get out, the man, in a huff, drivers off. She stands in te road, waiting for him to come back-which he does, right after I have passed her. As I am turning round in front of my own house, her picks her up, she gets in and he immediatly flys off, at speed (as could be expected from a person angry after an argument) . As I return I am looking for the lady, and fail to notice a car just leaving our road (it is very rainy.)

All possible, all logical. Probably not what actually happened, but possible none the less.

#26 treefingers

treefingers

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 10:13 PM

Thats it. Been drinking, having a laugh, and it wasn't until they played the vid back they saw what was there.

IIRC Einstein stated that data is never lost. It's all, energy is mass, and mass is energy (we all know the equation) but as we go down the "rabbit hole", we find ( in theory) we are all made of vibrating strings of pure energy. The way these "strings" vibrate dictate the way the partical behaves, which then dictates the way the atom will behave and so on.

What gets me, is that Einstein also stated that if you were "sucked" into a blackhole, you would never know! You would exist as data around the 'event horizon', and would not know you were in a blackhole, and so we would still be sitting here typing (crap in my case). If I've miss-stated anything, I apologize.

I think the thing about the black hole is that if you did get sucked in past the event horizon, from your point of view you wouldn't exist for very long at all. But due to time dilation, if you looked up out of the black hole you would see the entire remainder of history of the universe in a flash. From someone else's point of view however, they would see you jump in and freeze at the event horizon and stay there forever!

Then again it would be impossible to even approach the event horizon as, as you got closer you would need more and more energy until it would become infinite.

It's all a bit crazy and makes my head hurt when i think about it, but extremely interesting none the less.

However as with quantum mechanics and (especially) string theory, these crazy phenomena that are predicted by the theories are usually only recounted to illustrate what happens at the extremes. While for example on a quantum scale a particle may appear and disappear in a flash, the cat sitting on my lap thankfully stays put ...well unless she's hungry.

So for me the world is for the most part, what people may call boringly consistent. That is everything apart from my shells, they are never consistent.

#27 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 01:06 PM

I've changed the title- I think there has been some really interesting discussion here so far, so yeah- keep it up- and share your own stories!

Regarding my story, we are a bit worried now. No-one actually thinks she is a ghost, we just wonder who that person was.

Another story from me...

When I was at University I was working very late in a computer room, finishing my dissertation. To draw a mental picture. The computer room is at the end of a small corridor, doors leading to other areas are locked at nights (IE its a dead end). Toilets are reached by a walk of about 25 yeards down the corridor, another 10 yards there is another corridor, at right angles, leading to a bigger computer room.

Well, as I say I was working late, and so I left my work to go to the toilet. I was very quick, and when I returned there was a large ammount of nonsense typed after my work- eg

sdfasdfasd asdfas fqefr2352 HGFH we4t345 sdaf r523 rfqwetr34r5 ( About 10 lines in all, with spaces)

Now, not exactly scarey, but it is very odd. How did it get there? There was no-one else in the computer room, and it isn't logical to assume someone ran over from the other computer room, opened the door with a keycard, banged a load of nonsense on my work and then ran off whilst I was in the toilet . Odds are I would have seen them, too.

One explaination is that I accidently lent on the keyboard, but that doesn't tend to produce lots of text (try it). Likewise it is unlikley an animal (rat , mouse etc ) moving across the keyboard would have typed that ammount.

Also logical is a computer error, but have you ever seen the computer suddenly start typing stuff (this was on word).

One of those things, that just makes you wonder...

Edited by David, 16 August 2008 - 01:34 PM.

#28 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:55 PM

I've changed the title- I think there has been some really interesting discussion here so far, so yeah- keep it up- and share your own stories!

Regarding my story, we are a bit worried now. No-one actually thinks she is a ghost, we just wonder who that person was.

Another story from me...

When I was at University I was working very late in a computer room, finishing my dissertation. To draw a mental picture. The computer room is at the end of a small corridor, doors leading to other areas are locked at nights (IE its a dead end). Toilets are reached by a walk of about 25 yeards down the corridor, another 10 yards there is another corridor, at right angles, leading to a bigger computer room.

Well, as I say I was working late, and so I left my work to go to the toilet. I was very quick, and when I returned there was a large ammount of nonsense typed after my work- eg

sdfasdfasd asdfas fqefr2352 HGFH we4t345 sdaf r523 rfqwetr34r5 ( About 10 lines in all, with spaces)

Now, not exactly scarey, but it is very odd. How did it get there? There was no-one else in the computer room, and it isn't logical to assume someone ran over from the other computer room, opened the door with a keycard, banged a load of nonsense on my work and then ran off whilst I was in the toilet . Odds are I would have seen them, too.

One explaination is that I accidently lent on the keyboard, but that doesn't tend to produce lots of text (try it). Likewise it is unlikley an animal (rat , mouse etc ) moving across the keyboard would have typed that ammount.

Also logical is a computer error, but have you ever seen the computer suddenly start typing stuff (this was on word).

One of those things, that just makes you wonder...

It may be that your computer was hacked? or that the Techy's were messing around. In college one techy started typing warning messages to a user within his excel spreadsheet because he was also using a proxy.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#29 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 06:52 PM

It may be that your computer was hacked? or that the Techy's were messing around. In college one techy started typing warning messages to a user within his excel spreadsheet because he was also using a proxy.

Two possibilities, for sure. Although this was late at night- very late- probably about 3.30am, so unlikley any staff were active at that time. Seems unlikley too that someone would hack a computer just to wrte some nonsense in Word, furthermore it is odd that it happened exactly as I was out the room.

Seems unnerving that someone could be reading whatever I was typing, and even be in a position to alter or "graffitti" it.

Does anyone else have a story? This is an enjoyable discussion.

Edited by David, 17 August 2008 - 06:57 PM.

#30 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:47 AM

Here is a great You Tube channel- including the infamous Stocksbridge Bypass ghosts. Ghostw*tching

I'm really tempted to visit there, I think it is on the Huddersfield to Sheffield road.

Editted- No, ignore the link, forum editting ,,,

It's www.youtube.com/ then ghost watching , all one word, no spaces.

Lets not even try to post about the phantom of Sc**thorpe!

Edited by David, 09 October 2008 - 11:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users