77 replies to this topic

#16 wjames

wjames

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 06:22 PM

i like the way they repack the same fireworks into a different shape pack.

what annoys me is joe bloggs goes and buys these.....and thinks he's had a cracking deal......little does he know.....

#17 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:04 PM

I was in Morrisons earlier, as part of my traditional drive checking out the seasonals- pretty much a classic example of doubling the price and offering an identical one “"free."” Even at half price, their selection boxes appear to be of questionable value- IE their £27 selection box doesn't look like it is worth £13.50. EG they contain three rockets that look tiny! Nothing really of note all. Where does this idea that supermarkets are “"cheaper"” come from , anyway? I assume their own advertising. Sainsburys had fireworks, but had a sign up saying “We are unable to sell fireworks due to a "technical problem"” or something similar. Lidl aren't selling fireworks until Thursday. Nothing at all looks worth buying, maybe some of Sainsbury's stuff might have been, but I’m in no mood for “"technological problems"” or whatever.

Edited by David, 15 October 2008 - 07:07 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#18 DavePlym

DavePlym

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

OK, just been to Sainsbury's in Plymouth and bought these Standard items:
Conquest box ( fairly weighty) £39.99 with free Onslaught 141 shot big barrage (appx 4kg), plus
Trail blaze (medium sel box) £19.99 with free Fission barrage (appx 2kg), plus
2 x Escalation fountains £4.99 each (weight 700g each)
4 x giant glitter sparklers (5 in a pack) at £1.49 each and BOGOF)
Due to a 'till error in your favour' the trail blaze and fission didn't get charged so i paid
£52.94, so even if they put them out at top RRP I'm still a chuffed little bunny.
P.S. for anyone in Devon, Trago Mills have Cosmic, TNT and Fireworks International (I think) so may pop in there friday before catching the steam train to Totnes for pub lunch and a visit to Royberns whose glass cabinets i can still remember from the early 80's .

Edited by DavePlym, 15 October 2008 - 07:17 PM.

you whistle it, i'll hummer it

#19 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

Post a pic of your stuff, be interesting to see them. :)

#20 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:22 PM

Can you tell us the number of shots and bore diameter in the Fission cake and the bore of the Onslaught, also if they are all the same diameter or have a larger bore for the last few shots. Also, any idea of the effects and burn time of these cakes. Sainsburys did a pretty good BOGOF on a larger cake a couple of years back so could be interesting.

These all seem to be made for Sainsburys as none of them seem to be on the Standard website, even allowing for re-labeling (i.e. no 141 shot cake etc).

I picked up the Homebase leaflet today and the prices in there seem unbelievably inflated, even by supermarket standards.

#21 Cosmic-16

Cosmic-16

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

OK, just been to Sainsbury's in Plymouth and bought these Standard items:
Conquest box ( fairly weighty) £39.99 with free Onslaught 141 shot big barrage (appx 4kg), plus
Trail blaze (medium sel box) £19.99 with free Fission barrage (appx 2kg), plus
2 x Escalation fountains £4.99 each (weight 700g each)
4 x giant glitter sparklers (5 in a pack) at £1.49 each and BOGOF)
Due to a 'till error in your favour' the trail blaze and fission didn't get charged so i paid
£52.94, so even if they put them out at top RRP I'm still a chuffed little bunny.
P.S. for anyone in Devon, Trago Mills have Cosmic, TNT and Fireworks International (I think) so may pop in there friday before catching the steam train to Totnes for pub lunch and a visit to Royberns whose glass cabinets i can still remember from the early 80's .

Hi Thanks for the information

Whwn you were in Sainsburys, did u happen to notice what rockets they were selling

Regards

#22 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 12:01 AM

Just been up to ASDA- I noticed something unusal about their 16 shotters "Thundering Fury"(from TNT). There were several lives ones in a glass cabinet, and one of them had a price sticker on top - those small rectangular ones, sort of old fashioned ones, like from a price gun. Anyway- it said $20.00- Twenty DOLLARS? I noticed too that the yellow British warning/instruction label had been stuck on top of the wrapper/label (rather than being part of the wrapper itself.) Anyway, I guess what they must do is buy up stock that has already been on sale in the USA!

They also have another 16 shotter, Exteme Finale- £30 each or two for £40. Thats right- 16 shots.

Edited by David, 16 October 2008 - 12:13 AM.

#23 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

$20 sounds more realistic :)

#24 Skyburst

Skyburst

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

Wow, £30 for a 16 shot cake, my jaw is on the floor
Currently firing for Skyburst - The Firework Co.

#25 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

but hey, they are on special offer ;)

#26 Skyburst

Skyburst

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:42 AM

I've just stumbled across the weblink to the Sainsburys range of fireworks, for those interested its:

http://www.sainsbury...works/fireworks
Currently firing for Skyburst - The Firework Co.

#27 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:03 AM

Sainsburys have a pretty decent range there for a supermarket. High Fidelity rockets look live they've been re-packaged, Tesco were selling them at around £30 in 2006/2007 and they were all Green.

I also have last years Homebase leaflet, haven't got this years yet, most of the stuff was Men Shun or 'select fireworks collection' and all at full RRP, like Men Shun End of the World at £99.99, but I think they were doing a 2 for £99.99 deal.

#28 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 01:33 PM

Just been in to Tescos and they now have their range available (cant find a link on their site) all standard fireworks

Orange selection box £3 (11 items - 8 fountains 1 wheel 2 candles)
trickster box £5 (13 fountains 4 candles (as opposed to fork handles!) 3 wheels)
freestyle box £20 BOGOF (8 rockets, 2 cakes 2 candles 11 fountains 1 mine 1 wheel)
ringleader box £30 BGOF (9 fountains 2 cakes 1 mine 3 candles 1 whel 4 rockets) Garden and display!
firestorm box £50 BOGOF (7 lg funtains 2 fountain cakes 3 cakes 2 candles 1 mine)Larger display!
Arrows of fire rockets £10 BOGOF (5in pack)
Skyscraper rockets £20 BOGOF (5 in pack)
Magnum velocity £30 BOGOF (11 in pack)
mirage cake (24 shot) £15
outbreaker cake (48 shot) £25
Shockwave (130 shot) £40
Electric storm (170 shot) £60
ulitmate power pack £100 (6 cakes 4 mines)

some look expensive for what they are, but others dont look too badly priced to me

#29 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Jeeeeeebus! Tesco & Sainsburys have really improved their ranges on last year which is good to see! Might not be cheap but a good choice for a supermarket!

I just picked up a Sainsburys leaflet before and was quite suprised at the stuff.

Tesco stocked the same 6 items in 2006 & 2007, 3 boxes, 3 rocket packs.

Edited by Prestonboi, 16 October 2008 - 02:02 PM.

#30 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

Went to Tesco today, just checking it all out. Nothing of appeal to me really. Their 4 barrages are , it seems, pretty general mixed effects. Nothing wrong with that, just not of interest to me when other shops offer so much more choice. They have rocket packs, too, on a compulsorary buy 2 for the price of 2 "offer."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users