77 replies to this topic

#46 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:49 PM

I really am impressed and glad that Tesco and Sainsburys have made an effort this year! MUCH bigger choice than recent years, even if it's over priced or crap at least they are giving their customers some choice!

Humm, well, Tesco have four cakes- £15, £25, £40 and £60 . One is fanned, and I assume they are all generic mixed effects. Three different rocket packs- they look OK, nothing special. Then finally the usual selection boxes.

I'll be honest, this looks like a very limited and uninspired selection.

If they had , say, three cakes at £15 from different brands, three at £25 etc then yeah- thats offering a proper choice.

Dedicated firework shops are simply better.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#47 Cosmic-16

Cosmic-16

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:54 PM

ok maybe not a supermarket, anyone know if woolworths are selling fireworks this year.

regards

#48 Cosmic-16

Cosmic-16

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

Humm, well, Tesco have four cakes- £15, £25, £40 and £60 . One is fanned, and I assume they are all generic mixed effects. Three different rocket packs- they look OK, nothing special. Then finally the usual selection boxes.

If they had , say, three cakes at £15 from different brands, three at £25 etc then yeah- thats offering a proper choice.

now actually onlt TWO rocket packs, by local tesco told me that magnium velocity has been taken off sale.

#49 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

The point I was trying to make was it's a much better choice than they offered last year.

Never said they weren't.

Edited by Prestonboi, 19 October 2008 - 05:13 PM.

#50 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

Has anybody on here had any experience of Weco Fireworks?  Aldi are selling some and have a box of 5 cakes for 20 quid.  2 x 100 shot roman candles and 3 x 25 shot cakes.  They are also selling a pack of 24 Rockets for 20 quid.

Anyone?

#51 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

The point I was trying to make was it's a much better choice than they offered last year.

Yeah, I know what you mean, but it is comparative- "much better" than last year is still, never the less, a very limited range, from a single brand.

What annoys me about supermarkets is that they could be so much better- stocking a proper range. I'm fair though- if there was somethng positive about a supermarket's range, I would say so.

Edited by David, 19 October 2008 - 07:28 PM.

#52 andyliv78

andyliv78

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:43 PM

Has anybody on here had any experience of Weco Fireworks? Aldi are selling some and have a box of 5 cakes for 20 quid. 2 x 100 shot roman candles and 3 x 25 shot cakes. They are also selling a pack of 24 Rockets for 20 quid.

Anyone?

Their £4.99 pack is pretty good for the money. As for the cakes etc Im not sure.

#53 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:49 PM

for me, some of you guys have the cart before the horse, going around all the supermarkets/DIY stores etc to see what fireworks they have and then trying to see if they are any good....

wouldn't it be better to identify some products you think are good and then find somewhere that sells them?

#54 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:04 PM

wouldn't it be better to identify some products you think are good and then find somewhere that sells them?

This is exactly one of the reasons shops need an updated website! Eg Tiger's Revenge. Someone might have done their homework, and found that they really liked this- so he does a google search. Top result is indeed a firework shop that sells it!

Edited by David, 19 October 2008 - 08:17 PM.

#55 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 08:20 PM

Unfortunately starsky, some of us love Fireworks to bits but are under a massively tight budget this year due to whatever reasons...  In past years i've spent nigh on 300 quid on Pyro and loved every bit of it.  This year the budget has been cut by a lot more than a third and I need to get the most "bang for buck" that I can find.

For me personally this year, its not a case of hand picking particular brands or particular fireworks and finding the stockist (last year and the year before maybe so...) - its a simple case of being able to give my family a decent amount of time in the backyard to celebrate one of the best days in the calendar year, without bankrupting them (and me!) in the process.

Places like Aldi and their Weco brand could be a gold mine to me if their products are of a decent enough standard.

Sorry if that upsets the purists amongst us, and i'm not overly impressed myself but needs must and all that...

#56 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

Gigantic Crab!!! suggests joining UKFR for a pitiful ten of your humanoid pounds. You will then know which fireworks are the best and where to get them from cheaply. Really cheaply. Unlike buying BOGOFs from supermarkets where the RRPs have been artificially inflated in the first place.
Gigantic Crab!!! laughs in the face of anyone foolish enough to deny support of independant retailers, in any market, though is also quietly saddened.
THIS IS NOT A WEAKNESS.

Edited by Gigantic Crab!!!, 22 October 2008 - 01:16 PM.

#57 skyrocket

skyrocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

what are standard skyscrapper rockets like are they worth the £20 for a pack ?

#58 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:38 PM

Well my Asda has such a poor selection that I'm glad i don't buy consumer fireworks! Selection box, sparklers, a 80 shot cake and 18 shot finale that's about 18inches diameter!
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#59 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 02:21 PM

Unfortunately starsky, some of us love Fireworks to bits but are under a massively tight budget this year due to whatever reasons... In past years i've spent nigh on 300 quid on Pyro and loved every bit of it. This year the budget has been cut by a lot more than a third and I need to get the most "bang for buck" that I can find

exactly my sentiments - I just disagree strongly that the most "bang for your buck" will be found at supermarkets, I know what supermarkets are selling, I know what we are selling :)

#60 andyliv78

andyliv78

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

Get down to B&M Bargains, the Lethal Tank 25 shot cake is £2.99.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users