77 replies to this topic

#31 Cosmic-16

Cosmic-16

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

Hi

Just had a look in my local CO-OP they are selling standard fireworks.

Standard Fireworks

BOGOF OFFERS

Indulgence Selection Box- 19 BIG fireworks- 9 fountains, 1 wheel, 4 Roman Candles, 4 Rockets, 1 Mine £29.99

Sky Tracker Rocket pack- 6 Rockets- coloured stars, crackle, and glitter £24.99

Evolution Selection Box- 23 Fireworks- 8 Fountains, 1 Wheel, 5 Roman Candles, 8 Rockets, 1 mine £19.99

Hot Rod Roman Candle Cake- 144 shot cake firing comets and pearls- £19.99

Awakening Fountain- 100 second duration £13.99

The below are NOT bogof offers.

Magic Tricks Selection Box- £13.49- 17 fireworks- 9 Fountains, 2 whells, 5 roman candles, 1 mine £13.49

Twilight Selection Box- 22 fireworks- 16 fountains, 2 wheels, 4 roman candles £9.99

Vertical Limit Rocket Pack- Coloured Stars,Crackles, red palms and blue peonys- £8.99

Titan Sparkers- £0.99- pack of 5

Regards

#32 jindivik

jindivik

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 09:28 PM

Went to Tesco today, just checking it all out. Nothing of appeal to me really. Their 4 barrages are , it seems, pretty general mixed effects. Nothing wrong with that, just not of interest to me when other shops offer so much more choice. They have rocket packs, too, on a compulsorary buy 2 for the price of 2 "offer."

you crack me up David :)

it's a shame Asda don't sell the Space War TNT mines anymore, they were a little bit pricey but i bought about 6 of them a couple of years ago and enjoyed them a lot :) They're advertised on the Firework Factory website at £5.99 BOGOF but i think i will only be able to make a trip to Epic this year. Anybody know if the Red Dragon Glittering Mines (5 pack) are any good?

#33 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 10:56 PM

Just been up to ASDA- I noticed something unusal about their 16 shotters "Thundering Fury"(from TNT). There were several lives ones in a glass cabinet, and one of them had a price sticker on top - those small rectangular ones, sort of old fashioned ones, like from a price gun. Anyway- it said $20.00- Twenty DOLLARS? I noticed too that the yellow British warning/instruction label had been stuck on top of the wrapper/label (rather than being part of the wrapper itself.) Anyway, I guess what they must do is buy up stock that has already been on sale in the USA!

They also have another 16 shotter, Exteme Finale- £30 each or two for £40. Thats right- 16 shots.

I thought that LIVE fireworks were not allowed to be on display in cabinets? (only dummies) also, did the labelling have the BS 7114 standard on them?

#34 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 06:36 AM

I thought that LIVE fireworks were not allowed to be on display in cabinets? (only dummies) also, did the labelling have the BS 7114 standard on them?

No, you can have a small ammount of live fireworks on display, as long as it is a secure cabinet- IE people can't get to them.

It did have the BS 7114 klabel -the yellow label, it looked like it was glued on top- quite a few fireworks are like this, Shogun brand etc.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#35 skyrocket

skyrocket

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

Netto appears to be the classic example of the old "hike up the price then give an identical item away free" philosophy!

Tesco here are doing Standard fireworks buy one get one free, but we tend we are doing our display to use semi display ones as garden is just about large enough

#36 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:01 AM

It's a poor show from Netto - £39.99 for 14 fireworks (even with their BOGOF offer) is not good value at all. Plus, those fireworks are not even on Standard's website so you can't 'view before you buy'. I did find this mine though - http://www.blackcatf...t/mines/?id=441 - to be honest it's the only firework on their site that I actually thought was any good. All the others appear to be very 'soft' compared to their names.
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#37 DavePlym

DavePlym

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

On the 15th I listed the Sainsbury/Standard stuff i bought, someone had previously said that supermarket stuff ain't that great as there's a tendancy for overpricing and even the mulibuy offers are nothing special. I must admit having bought some non-supermarket stuff yesterday i see what the guy meant.
eg in sainsbury's there's a standard trail blaze selection box (plus a 'free' cake (not the fruity type i hasten to add)) at £19.99. when i got home and looked inside some of them are so light they may float away plus i get really bugged with the 'small firework in a deceptively big case'. anyway when buying other stuff yesterday i got a Tiger box by Fabulous Fireworks (fireworks international's post code on the box) for £5.99 knowing for that price they'd be tiddlers - oddly, that £5.99 box is only 100g lighter than the £19.99
standard one. the principle i'm gonna use in future is 'ignore the price, feel the weight'.
you whistle it, i'll hummer it

#38 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

The weight isn't always a good indicator. I once had a TNT fountain that was around 7" height and around 6 or so inches in diameter and bloody heavy, I thought to myself wow this seems big. I lit the thing and was very disappointed so I thought I would take it apart and see what was really behind the large casing. My findings were just a large spiral wound tube with a 3 inch thick piece of clay at the base and 3 mini fountains tied together :(. So the moral of the story being weight doesn't always matter its the NET Weight of the item that counts not the 500 grams of clay and thick cardboard tubes.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#39 DavePlym

DavePlym

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 02:25 PM

The weight isn't always a good indicator. I once had a TNT fountain that was around 7" height and around 6 or so inches in diameter and bloody heavy, I thought to myself wow this seems big. I lit the thing and was very disappointed so I thought I would take it apart and see what was really behind the large casing. My findings were just a large spiral wound tube with a 3 inch thick piece of clay at the base and 3 mini fountains tied together :( . So the moral of the story being weight doesn't always matter its the NET Weight of the item that counts not the 500 grams of clay and thick cardboard tubes.

with all the rules and regs surrounding fireworks maybe a new one would be to disclose the 'chemical weight' on the boxes/singles, sorta like the way they have to show the saturated fat amounts on your packet of biscuits, of course where do you stop? coz then they'd have to list the amount of bullshit produced by a politician etc. . .
you whistle it, i'll hummer it

#40 Cosmic-16

Cosmic-16

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

can ayone tell me where i can get a big rocket pack, like about 30.00 pack, the tesco packs

arrow of fire and magnium velocity have been taken off sale.

#41 andyliv78

andyliv78

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 05:30 PM

B&M Bargains have a decent selection at good prices, all Men Shun, i.e.

200 shot exterminator barrage, 4.99
4 pack roman candles, 99p
10 piece barrage pack, 14.99

Also, has anyone had any experience of the 'ultimate fear' mine?

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=_3T1_Ha49lc

Edited by andyliv78, 18 October 2008 - 05:34 PM.

#42 GZ22

GZ22

An Explosive Force

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

Was in Netto yesterday and the also have packs of four Standard rockets named Genie something (sorry, couldn't remember the full name, they have pink labels) for £2.49. At least something is reasonably priced!
Do it safe - Do it right - or - Don't do it at all.

#43 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:59 AM

with all the rules and regs surrounding fireworks maybe a new one would be to disclose the 'chemical weight' on the boxes/singles, sorta like the way they have to show the saturated fat amounts on your packet of biscuits, of course where do you stop? coz then they'd have to list the amount of bullshit produced by a politician etc. . .

Yeah- the NEC- Net Explosive Content. Some catalogues mention this, but it isn't really "common knowledge" . Retailers do need to know this for storage. Strictly the public should too- if you have over 5 KG NEC of 1.4G fireworks then you can only keep them in your house for a few days- 21 or 14, I'm unsure of the exact figure.

That said, a high NEC doesn't always mean a good firework, and vice versa.

But yeah- in an industry where all the customer has to go on is the appearance of the firework behind a cabinet, or a picture in a brouchure, it would be very useful.

Edited by David, 19 October 2008 - 12:02 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#44 dogsbody

dogsbody

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

yeah, good job i havenet lookded at the NEC i have!!!, but then they are stored in a locked shipping container anyway (currently un lined but when it gets sorted out as other stuff also stored in there) I am hoping to have a room made in the end of it for my storage so it stays secure even if the main doors aren't locked

#45 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 04:19 PM

I really am impressed and glad that Tesco and Sainsburys have made an effort this year! MUCH bigger choice than recent years, even if it's over priced or crap at least they are giving their customers some choice!

Some stuff looks pretty decent though. Last couple of years from both supermarkets have been dire fireworks choice wise.

Tesco stocking just 6 items in 2006/2007.

I went in 4 different Tesco's today, supermarkets and local stores and all were decked out with fireworks adverts and display cases with fireworks in, I don't remember that much effort last year.

Edited by Prestonboi, 19 October 2008 - 04:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users