78 replies to this topic

#31 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Yes but stupid corner shops should bot be allowed to sell explosive goods who half of the time sell to children without even asking for your age. These are the same types of shops that sell knifes, cigs, alcohol to young kids just to make more money. New law should be introduced which basically states that shops need to get registered and checked up before being allowed to buy and sell fireworks. It is like food shops some are not obeying food standards and some are.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#32 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 04:37 PM

Yes but stupid corner shops should bot be allowed to sell explosive goods who half of the time sell to children without even asking for your age. These are the same types of shops that sell knifes, cigs, alcohol to young kids just to make more money. New law should be introduced which basically states that shops need to get registered and checked up before being allowed to buy and sell fireworks. It is like food shops some are not obeying food standards and some are.

Not many corner shops sell fireworks any more, in my experience. The types of fireworks that corner shops used to sell have gone- bangers, airbombs and the like. That type of seller- the small business with a small "front counter" selection- is in terminal decline. The "corner shop" in general seems to be in decline.

Edited by David, 23 November 2008 - 04:37 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#33 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:37 PM

Yes but stupid corner shops should bot be allowed to sell explosive goods who half of the time sell to children without even asking for your age.

New law should be introduced which basically states that shops need to get registered and checked up before being allowed to buy and sell fireworks.

That's quite an accusation. I'd exercise a little caution if I were you; underage sales is not a subject to folly with. (You will also find that shops do have to be registered before storing fireworks for sale - and in most cases the registration is endorsed by a visit from the appropriate licensing authority to ensure compliance with criteria that you're probably not too familiar with).

Nobody agrees with underage sales, but it's not as simple as making broad accusations when there are numerous other contributory factors involved.

#34 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:02 PM

True, I bet though I could have gone into many shops when I was younger and bought fireworks with no questions asked. I am accusing shops because its darn right true they sell them and some sell them to kids a Fact. I also know you need a license but simply getting checked a few times really does or proves nothing just like it does with food serving places which clean up on the day the inspector comes and go back to a crap whole when they have gone. Now I ain't saying all shops do this as they do not but some rogues exist and do.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#35 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 09:43 PM

New law should be introduced which basically states that shops need to get registered and checked up before being allowed to buy and sell fireworks.

But this is already in place...

Yes but stupid corner shops should bot be allowed to sell explosive goods who half of the time sell to children without even asking for your age

Actually the feedback from trading standards is that its the seasonal shops that just open up to sell fireworks that are statistically most likely to fall foul of underage selling. The "corner shops" usually have experience of age restricted products, tobacco/alcohol etc so asking for ID is something they are used to/comfortable with.

#36 knackers

knackers

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:55 AM

The more restriction on point of sale will result in greater restriction to the wider community and unfortunately to the point of restriction from the general public.. Our parliment and laws are based on mother England and we too had 5th Nov bon fire night and could buy fireworks one month before and a week or two after, ( that wasn`t law it was just thats when the shops stocked them..... But we had ignorant fool hardy people blowing off fingers and things with what we called penny bungers, and idiots setting them off in bushland causing bush fires,, its outlawed here now except for work safe endorsed professional pyrotechnic displays..

becarefull what you wish for,, it could spell the end to fireworks as you know them

#37 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 10:44 PM

Hoping to get hold of a decent Cake or 2 and a decent pack of Rockets for New Years Eve, only want about 5 or 10 minutes of fireworks, usually only get that many every New Year.

This was the haul for last year, it was a very last minute Bulldog & Lidl job, hoping to get stuff earlier this time!

Posted Image

Lidls Black Nebula Box
2 Bulldog 16 shot Cakes
2 packs of Bulldog Rockets

I will post if I see any seasonals opening nearer the time and let you know how I get on with buying stuff.

Edited by Prestonboi, 26 November 2008 - 10:44 PM.

#38 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:47 PM

The furniture shop near Strand Road in Preston which usually opens as a Bulldog shop seasonally, has now changed back to a furniture shop however they still have a display cabinet with fireworks in so I assume they are for New Year.

#39 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

The furniture shop near Strand Road in Preston which usually opens as a Bulldog shop seasonally, has now changed back to a furniture shop however they still have a display cabinet with fireworks in so I assume they are for New Year.

Bulldog's Preston base this year was the old Evans Halshaw garage on the A6, at Broughton.

#40 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

Anyone planning anything for New Year? I just have the back garden, but I'm sure I will be able to find time to send pyro up.

#41 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 11:48 AM

Lidl are advertising their fireworks for New Year, on sale from 27th December. It's the same Bonfire Night range minus Hayleys Comet but all at cheaper prices, for example the smallest selection box has gone down to £2.99 and Cosmos is now £3.99.

I think I'll pick up a couple of Cosmos and then look around for anything else.

Edited by Prestonboi, 18 December 2008 - 06:42 PM.

#42 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

Lidl are advertising their fireworks for New Year, on sale from 27th December. It's the same Bonfire Night range minus Hayleys Comet but all at cheaper rpices, for example the smallest selection box has gone down to £2.99 and Cosmos is now £3.99.

I think I'll pick up a couple of Cosmos and then look around for anything else.

Sounds like they are selling the tail end of what was left over from bonfire night- but fair play, seems decent value.

#43 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 10:48 AM

Think I may end up going to Lidl.

Asda are selling again, picked up a leaflet yesterday, same range & prices as Bonfire Night, can anyone recommend anything from there?

My next option is that papershop in Freckleton villiage near Warton, Preston that had all the Epic stuff in at Bonfire Night, I think they still have it all so will check it out.

#44 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

Asda are selling again, picked up a leaflet yesterday, same range & prices as Bonfire Night, can anyone recommend anything from there?

Selection boxes might be OK, they used to be good (the cheaper end) , assuming it is the same stock/selection as Bonfire night, I'd say there isn't really much that appeals from the cake selection.

More generally, I haven't seen new year stuff in the shops yet.

#45 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:08 AM

No more restrictions, please. When I was a child people aged 15 could buy most fireworks in Sweden, except for the largest rockets and bombs. No one cared about that but sold to 7-8 year olds. I didn't hear about many more accidents than there are today. If you don't learn people responsibility at an early age, they'll never learn it.

I bought from Svea Fireworks today; one 50 shot cake and 6 big rockets and got 150 crackling green balls and 150 "tiger rockets" (whistle and report) for free.

Posted Image
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users