78 replies to this topic

#61 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

Yeah, it will be interesting to see what Bulldog have next year, clearly if they only have two of the cakes left then overall stocks are low, so they will probably br bringing in some different ones next year.

Was the TNT shop open near Bulldog?

More generally, I'm surprised how quiet this thread has been, given that today is sort of the second biggest fireworks day of the year.

Edited by David, 31 December 2008 - 01:05 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#62 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 01:29 PM

They had quite a few Bulldog items in the shop that I hadn't seen before and that weren't in the leaflets, a few rocket packs and a 49 shot cake that the guy behind the counter showed me.

Be interesting to see if they change their range next year, maybe what they are selling now is the last of the flashpowder stock, that is why they haven't got any new stock in.

Was the TNT shop open near Bulldog?

We drove past yesterday at about 4:00pm and I saw a closed sign on the door but the shop seemed lit up and I could see a guy behind the counter so don't know what is going on there.

#63 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:21 PM

Be interesting to see if they change their range next year, maybe what they are selling now is the last of the flashpowder stock, that is why they haven't got any new stock in.

I think that is correct- It does appear to be a flashpowder based range. What I found interesting is that their "Black Scorpion" brand of rockets Stargazer pack is rated Cat 2, even though they have some very big bursts on some of them.

Edited by David, 31 December 2008 - 08:21 PM.

#64 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 08:52 PM

I think that is correct- It does appear to be a flashpowder based range. What I found interesting is that their "Black Scorpion" brand of rockets Stargazer pack is rated Cat 2, even though they have some very big bursts on some of them.

I hope they will be flashpowder, not long to go now untill midnight.

It is freezing outside, near minus 5 I believe!

#65 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 09:09 AM

Well I had a minor disaster last night, I had one plantpot ready with bricks around it etc and as midnight struck I went to put a firework in and realised the soil had frozen solid! It was like concrete!

So I had to quickly improvise by putting the bricks around each firework, took longer than expected but we managed alright.

The Blackpowder Bandit appears to have struck with Bulldog, I remember from last year those 16 shot cakes being very punchy, loud and colourful for their size, this year they were weak, with more of a pop and a small sprinkling of stars. :rolleyes:

The fountains in the Lidl box were poor, I can't complain for £2.99 but they lasted all of 5-8 seconds. Lidl Rockets were very poor, looks like the Bandit has struck again, not even a pop on some of them, just a small sprinkling of stars.

So that just left the Bulldog '1.4G' cake, which did perform good enough. I suppose I was expecting more but it had nice loud bangs and big green bursts with Silver and Gold Trails on them, I don't know if it has changed to Blackpowder and is supposed to be better than that but I thought it was ok so not sure if it's flash.

Overall the 1.4G Cake was the best and there was only 3 of us watching the fireworks anyway so no one was really dissapointed.

#66 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:06 AM

You should have Svea Fireworks in the UK. I'm very pleased with the rockets and 50 shot cake. No Blackpowder Bandit there. :)
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#67 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:36 AM

I am sure black powder rockets and cakes can be made much louder than they are being made if more confinement is used or powder grains instead of meal powder that I see in some dissected fireworks.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#68 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 10:40 AM

The fountains in the Lidl box were poor, I can't complain for £2.99 but they lasted all of 5-8 seconds. Lidl Rockets were very poor, looks like the Bandit has struck again, not even a pop on some of them, just a small sprinkling of stars.

You get what you pay for, maybe next time you might think about heading to a proper fireworks stockist rather than travelling across Preston to hunt down Lidl supermarkets... ;)

#69 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 12:18 PM

You get what you pay for, maybe next time you might think about heading to a proper fireworks stockist rather than travelling across Preston to hunt down Lidl supermarkets... ;)

:huh:

I think you'll find I do use proper fireworks stockists, I go to Epic for every Bonfire Night, New Year just isn't worth the journey for only a few things.

I usually go to a supermarket or local shop for New Years stuff to save the hassle of a long journey. Lidl fireworks usually aren't to bad, it seems they have now gone awful.

#70 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:18 PM

Was Very happy with my single purchase - Fireworks International Crazy Horses.

Went off well and was very popular with my party.

Happy New Year!  :lol:

#71 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

I sent up just a couple of Cat 2 rockets, from a brand called Black Scorpion, both loud with a good height and a nice lingering burst on one of them. I think, well I'm fairly sure, that it is old stock being sold off- but hey, they were decent!

#72 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 01:49 PM

wasn't meaning to be harsh, just saying that it's not usually worth trekking across a city to buy a supermarket firework :)

#73 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

Speaking of Rockets - there is a clown who lives at the back of my house... he sent, or should that be he tried to send, a couple of rockets up...only they didnt lift - exploding completely in his back yard, showering himself and his guests in stars.

The same thing has happened at each of the last two Bonfire Nights and I have warned him on both occasions that he should check with the shop he uses, only to be politely told to mind my own business.

Hey ho!

#74 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:17 PM

Speaking of Rockets - there is a clown who lives at the back of my house... he sent, or should that be he tried to send, a couple of rockets up...only they didnt lift - exploding completely in his back yard, showering himself and his guests in stars.

The same thing has happened at each of the last two Bonfire Nights and I have warned him on both occasions that he should check with the shop he uses, only to be politely told to mind my own business.

Hey ho!

Could be he isn't firing them correctly, ie isn't leaving the stick free to rise.

I've only ever had one rocket go off without lifting, and I was well away (no crowd) but never the less, it worries me a little!

#75 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 02:28 PM

Had you seen this last night you would be more than worried.  The sparks shot both over his hedge, on top of his roof and into each garden to both his sides.  What really worried me was the sound of himself and his kids in stitches.

I sincerely hope he wasnt sticking them in the ground and firing them that way!

:wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users