78 replies to this topic

#46 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:24 AM

No more restrictions, please. When I was a child people aged 15 could buy most fireworks in Sweden, except for the largest rockets and bombs. No one cared about that but sold to 7-8 year olds. I didn't hear about many more accidents than there are today. If you don't learn people responsibility at an early age, they'll never learn it.

I bought from Svea Fireworks today; one 50 shot cake and 6 big rockets and got 150 crackling green balls and 150 "tiger rockets" (whistle and report) for free.

Posted Image

looks good! Can you buy fireworks all year round now in Sweden, or is it just seasonally?
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#47 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:28 AM

looks good! Can you buy fireworks all year round now in Sweden, or is it just seasonally?

We can buy all year round, not in all shops, but several of them sell all year round. You can shoot how much you want outside urban areas, as long as you don't scare your neighbours or frighten animals etc. ;)
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#48 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 10:55 AM

I think I will end up with 2x Cosmos Cakes and a pack of Lidl Rockets (would prefer rockets to a Selection Box).

I've had some of the big Lidl Rockets before and they were a let down, I think they are stocking them again, they also have the 'Gold Medal' rockets, I read they have changed if so are they any good?

I'm just after a decent pack of Rockets which aren't to expensive (what I wouldn't give for a pack of Epic's Supreme Rockets right now!). There just isn't any local shops selling any decent brands this New Year, just Supermarket stuff and Bulldog shops.

I'm really hoping that shop in Freckleton village still has the Epic stuff in, I will find out today, the big stuff was a little on the expensive side but it's very local to me so wouldn't mind paying extra for good pyro!!

Last thing I want on New Years Eve is to send up rockets which turn out to be p*ss poor. :unsure:

I will see if the Papershop still has the Epic stuff for sale and report back.

Edited by Prestonboi, 30 December 2008 - 10:56 AM.

#49 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:34 PM

It seems you have pretty poor publicly available fireworks in the UK. It's a shame. I should avoid Lidl, though. Think about the quality of their other stuff. :(
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#50 Daedalus

Daedalus

Me, I only do Cat. 3

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 12:50 PM

they also have the 'Gold Medal' rockets, I read they have changed if so are they any good?

They were rubbish. The cakes were good though and at the reduced price I would say as best buy.

#51 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

It seems you have pretty poor publicly available fireworks in the UK. It's a shame. I should avoid Lidl, though. Think about the quality of their other stuff. :(

Well, we do have some VERY good stuff that is publicly available, but a lot of very average stuff too- there are so many fireworks available to the consumer market.

Some of the biggest Cat 3 (fireworks available to the general public to be used at a safe distance of 25 metres minimum) has a Net Explosive Content of 2 Kilos, making for a very large and impressive item! Check out You Tubes of Awaken, Tiger's Revenge, Hercules, Triple H Bomb, Airboss- there is some quality stuff available!

#52 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

We have impressive "cakes" in Sweden too, though officially 1 kilo is the limit for public fireworks, though that's a law usually not followed. I'd like bigger mortars to be allowed, though. Instead they ban 4" mortars. :mellow:
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#53 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:59 PM

They were rubbish.

Oh crap, I just bought a pack. :unsure: Also got one of the small boxes for £2.99, the cakes had sold out!! :angry:

Going to check out the other Lidl on the other side of Preston tonight to see if they have any, if not then I am tottaly fooked.

Rocket Box or Bulldog here I come. :(

Edited by Prestonboi, 30 December 2008 - 04:00 PM.

#54 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 04:29 PM

You should save your money during the year. Think like this: if you divide what you spend on fireworks yearly with 365, it isn't much per day. I bought for about £90 yesterday. ;)
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#55 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 05:20 PM

Now heading to Bulldog to get a few 16 shotters and maybe one of the £14.99 '1.4G' cakes. Hope they have some left, we went to the Bulldog Shop near Fylde Road in Preston last New Years Eve and got Two 16 shot cakes.

David, do you know if the one in the old car showroom at Broughton is back open for New Year?

#56 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 02:49 AM

Now heading to Bulldog to get a few 16 shotters and maybe one of the £14.99 '1.4G' cakes. Hope they have some left, we went to the Bulldog Shop near Fylde Road in Preston last New Years Eve and got Two 16 shot cakes.

David, do you know if the one in the old car showroom at Broughton is back open for New Year?

Very unlikley- I have driven past there a few times, including on Monday, no sign of life at all there at the moment.

Are any Bulldog shops open- not sure about the Fylde road one this year?

Edited by David, 31 December 2008 - 05:27 AM.

#57 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Has anyone been in any of the all year round shops- not sure if it has been a good Christmas/New Year season for them or if things have been quiet.

#58 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

Are any Bulldog shops open- not sure about the Fylde road one this year?

The Fylde Road one is indeed open, going there in a bit, but it's gone back to a Furniture Shop/part fireworks shop now as opposed to a full on fireworks shop.

#59 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 10:52 AM

The Fylde Road one is indeed open, going there in a bit, but it's gone back to a Furniture Shop/part fireworks shop now as opposed to a full on fireworks shop.

Do you know if Bulldogs stuff is new reg or old reg? A bit of a long shot, I know, but if it is old reg those £4.99 cakes are pretty decent value.

Edited by David, 31 December 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#60 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 31 December 2008 - 12:55 PM

I'm not sure but I fired 2 of their £4.99 cakes last year and they were decent, coloured comets with loud bangs and stars, the ones I've got seem to be the same as the ones last year and a good weight but they don't have dates on or anything.

I've just been down to the shop now and their was a few people buying whilst we were there, the guy at the counter said they were selling what was left over from Bonfire Night.

Out of their £4.99 16 shot cake range they only had the Red Thunder and Silverblitz cakes left, so I got those 2 (same as last year!) and out of the £14.99 cake range only had the Blade Runner and Rush Hour left so I got the Rush Hour.

Rush Hour seems a big 25 shot cake with large tubes and a decent weight, I'm sure I saw a few of these going off around Preston near Bonfire Night and they looked pretty good.

All in all pretty pleased.

Also my opinion of Bulldog has now gone up, if they are one thing, it's reliable, about the only shop in Preston for the past couple of New Years selling decent stuff like the cakes. There was a nice helpfull guy behind the counter who we had a good chat with.

Here's the picture of our stuff for tonight...

Posted Image

1 x Bulldog Rush Hour 25 shot

1 x Bulldog Red Thunder 16 shot

1 x Bulldog Silverblitz 16 shot

1 x Lidl Gold Medal Rockets

1 x Lidl Purple Moon Selection Box

Edited by Prestonboi, 31 December 2008 - 01:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users