• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

Just to say that my fears concerning the lack of flash in consumer fireworks came true on saturday night. Absolutely no guts to any of the large barrages I bought this year (and I had about £700 worth). I really feel ripped off - would have been aswell going to the local supermarket. :angry:
I really doubt if any of these got anywhere near the 120db limit despite description panels saying "very loud reports", "very loud bangs", "thunderous finale" etc. Bull***t !!!
Another factor is the misleading video's on some reputable online stockist website's. These are obviously video's of pre reg change fireworks - this is bordering on contravening the trade descriptions act fellas - not bloody nice at all !!! :angry:

Considering the price we have to pay for large bore cakes I think we should be entitled to a decent burst and an accurate description of the payload. If this is what we can expect in future then forget it.

Anyone else feel like I do ? Surely must be.

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

Just to say that my fears concerning the lack of flash in consumer fireworks came true on saturday night. Absolutely no guts to any of the large barrages I bought this year

Yep- many new fireworks this year are most definatly quieter. I guess it all depends on what you are after. Men Shun is no longer a "noisy" brand. Personally I think some of the new Men Shun stuff is good- as long as it is accepted that loud bangs won't be a feature. The Crossettes in Moonlight Eruption were very popular with my audience, for example.

I know it isn't always easy (and unfortunatly there have been few this year) but it is always worth getting to a demo night, if you can. This gives a proper idea of what fireworks are like- volume, style , colours etc. It is very hard to tell from videos just how loud fireworks are.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:41 PM

Another factor is the misleading video's on some reputable online stockist website's. These are obviously video's of pre reg change fireworks - this is bordering on contravening the trade descriptions act fellas - not bloody nice at all !!! :angry:

I would go back to the place you bought them from if you feel that stongly :)

#4 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

Where the videos actually from the shop from which you bought the fireworks?

#5 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

Yep- many new fireworks this year are most definatly quieter. I guess it all depends on what you are after. Men Shun is no longer a "noisy" brand. Personally I think some of the new Men Shun stuff is good- as long as it is accepted that loud bangs won't be a feature. The Crossettes in Moonlight Eruption were very popular with my audience, for example.

I know it isn't always easy (and unfortunatly there have been few this year) but it is always worth getting to a demo night, if you can. This gives a proper idea of what fireworks are like- volume, style , colours etc. It is very hard to tell from videos just how loud fireworks are.

Nope cant agree with that buddy. I am sure most folks like a decent loud burst for their money. Come on, Fireworks are synonimous with loud bangs - not something that resembles a crisp bag popping !
Cant we ensure that the descriptions are accurate and the video's are updated so we know what to expect ? What about making sure they reach the 120db limit if the description says thunderous finale etc ? And what about this pyromesh thing ??

#6 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

I had the same problem with my Lucifers Laughter, the video on that site (didn't buy it from there though) was obviously pre reg change, and the fireworks has smaller bursts and less noise, and with the banging finale removed.

I'm sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. :(

Some new stuff though like King Cobra (Oriental), Heavy Duty, Fragma and Brothers Choice are stunning fireworks, all with new regs, loud bangs aswell!

I had the Thunder King, supposed to be very loud, didn't feel loud to me, it was loudish you know but not as loud as you'd think, some of my other cakes felt as loud if not louder.

Edited by Prestonboi, 10 November 2008 - 09:53 PM.

#7 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

I would go back to the place you bought them from if you feel that stongly :)

Intend to - thanks.

#8 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

Nope cant agree with that buddy. I am sure most folks like a decent loud burst for their money. Come on, Fireworks are synonimous with loud bangs - not something that resembles a crisp bag popping !

Thats a fair point. If you like noise, then I'd say Men Shun isn't the brand for you.

It all depends on personal choice. I will be using some pieces from Men Shuns new range again, they are nice and have a role to play.

Cant we ensure that the descriptions are accurate and the video's are updated so we know what to expect ?

As for videos updated- yes, absolutly- a video should show the current item that is for sale.

What about making sure they reach the 120db limit if the description says thunderous finale etc ?

If a firework says "This is the legal maximum volume allowed in the UK" then yeah, it should be 120 dbs. Anything else is much more subjective, and should be treated as such. For sure, if something said "banging finale" and turned out to be a colour fountain that would be very misleading, but it is fair play to allow a little bit of leeway.

Are Gillette REALLY "the best a man can get?" Does a Mars actually aid you when you are working, resting and playing?

What about this Pyromesh thing

Some stuff- but not much, comes pyromeshed. I don't think companies like Men Shun are using it.

#9 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:56 PM

As a footnote, the 120DB limit was brought in before the changes in the regulations governing the explosive classifications. I doubt very much that you will get a 1.4G firework up around that limit any more.

#10 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:58 PM

As a footnote, the 120DB limit was brought in before the changes in the regulations governing the explosive classifications. I doubt very much that you will get a 1.4G firework up around that limit any more.

Yeah, not even close. 120db is the MAXIMUM, after all, not the benchmark.

#11 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

this is quite true also the 120db is a limit and not a requirement as such you will never get a firework to hit that limit as company's wont take the risk of the test firework being over the limit and thus being confiscated possibly get 100 or 110db but anymore than that is risking it , its also worth pointing out that a firework title is not a description of its effects for the most part its merely a selling point

#12 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:17 PM

Thats a fair point. If you like noise, then I'd say Men Shun isn't the brand for you.

It all depends on personal choice. I will be using some pieces from Men Shuns new range again, they are nice and have a role to play.

As for videos updated- yes, absolutly- a video should show the current item that is for sale.

If a firework says "This is the legal maximum volume allowed in the UK" then yeah, it should be 120 dbs. Anything else is much more subjective, and should be treated as such. For sure, if something said "banging finale" and turned out to be a colour fountain that would be very misleading, but it is fair play to allow a little bit of leeway.

Are Gillette REALLY "the best a man can get?" Does a Mars actually aid you when you are working, resting and playing?

Some stuff- but not much, comes pyromeshed. I don't think companies like Men Shun are using it.

I understand that some of the forum users are in the business of selling squibs and I can accept an element of protecting interests etc - I just spend a few bob and have a display every year for friends and family so cmon its pretty obvious that when you buy an item at £100 and it says its going to be loud you expect it to be - dont you ? I had a few small rockets from the local super and they were louder than the big stuff I had !
I've been firing large bore stuff for the last 10 years and this is the poorest ever !

I think your point about stating the db level is a good start.
Should we not be getting together to protect the consumers ?

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:27 PM

I understand that some of the forum users are in the business of selling squibs

Some people on this board- myself included- do have connections to fireworks shops (mine is very loose- I certainly have no commerical interest ((ie I make no money)) from the shop). However, I don't think anyone here is going to defend a firework they thought was poor.

It might be useful if you gave a rundown of the stuff that let you down, if only for future reference for other people. Eg I bought a 2007 spec Doomsday Deterrent- truely awful.

Edited by David, 10 November 2008 - 10:31 PM.

#14 Aftershock

Aftershock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

Got no complaints with the stuff I got this year, to me was identical to the same named stuff had last year.

#15 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:47 PM

Some people on this board- myself included- do have connections to fireworks shops (mine is very loose- I certainly have no commerical interest ((ie I make no money)) from the shop). However, I don't think anyone here is going to defend a firework they thought was poor.

It might be useful if you gave a rundown of the stuff that let you down, if only for future reference for other people. Eg I bought a 2007 spec Doomsday Deterrent- truely awful.

To be clear about my point, the following had some nice variations and colours but sadly lacked any punch and as such I found very disappointing to say the least.

I will be avoiding these ;
M2 Planets Colliding - Menshun 2008
Battle Station Mars - Menshun 2008
Naval Bombardment - Menshun 2008
Devastation - Menshun 2008
Lethal Tank - Menshun 2006
Lucifers Dragons - Fabulous / Fireworks International ? 2008 ?
Chaos - Black Cat 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users