55 replies to this topic

#16 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

To be clear about my point, the following had some nice variations and colours but sadly lacked any punch and as such I found very disappointing to say the least.

I will be avoiding these ;
M2 Planets Colliding - Menshun 2008
Battle Station Mars - Menshun 2008
Naval Bombardment - Menshun 2008

I tend to agree, to an extent- but these are the style of fireworks that we will be seeing at 1.4G now as the new regs "hit home."

All is not lost- there will still be 1.3G stuff around with the volume of flashpowder bursts, just not at all shops.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#17 Alexander Martin

Alexander Martin

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:57 PM

To flip the penny on the other side I actually found Men Shun's 2008 barrages such as Cosmic Collision and Palms Away, had much prettier effects than the 2006 variants of Darkness Invader and Typhoon.

#18 sjc

sjc

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:58 PM

The menshun fireworks I had were very poor (even the £50+ single barrages) and the packets rockets were the worst I have ever fired

#19 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

To flip the penny on the other side I actually found Men Shun's 2008 barrages such as Cosmic Collision and Palms Away, had much prettier effects than the 2006 variants of Darkness Invader and Typhoon.

Some of the 2008 Men Shun stuff is indeed very pretty- they have put a lot more effort into the range this year, with colours and effects in place of bangs and the generic peony burst. I think it might evolve as more of a "family" brand.

Edited by David, 10 November 2008 - 11:00 PM.

#20 Alexander Martin

Alexander Martin

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

Palms Away had some breathtaking palms at times. My audience were impressed. They got bored with my Lethal Tanks (2006) and Darkness Invader (2006).

It really is a gamble I'm afraid. Can you try and get some kind of refund?

#21 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

I tend to agree, to an extent- but these are the style of fireworks that we will be seeing at 1.4G now as the new regs "hit home."

All is not lost- there will still be 1.3G stuff around with the volume of flashpowder bursts, just not at all shops.

It would be good to have these listed at some point !

#22 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 12:47 AM

Gigantic Crab!!! says: join UKFR, problems solved.

#23 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

Certainly if you haven't seen the UKFR before it is worth checking out- lots of footage and reviews on there. However like with videos on shops websites, a lot of the footage on the UKFR is still of old spec items (all the Men Shun reviews for example.)

#24 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Just to say that my fears concerning the lack of flash in consumer fireworks came true on saturday night. Absolutely no guts to any of the large barrages I bought this year (and I had about £700 worth). I really feel ripped off - would have been aswell going to the local supermarket. :angry:
I really doubt if any of these got anywhere near the 120db limit despite description panels saying "very loud reports", "very loud bangs", "thunderous finale" etc. Bull***t !!!
Another factor is the misleading video's on some reputable online stockist website's. These are obviously video's of pre reg change fireworks - this is bordering on contravening the trade descriptions act fellas - not bloody nice at all !!! :angry:

Considering the price we have to pay for large bore cakes I think we should be entitled to a decent burst and an accurate description of the payload. If this is what we can expect in future then forget it.

Anyone else feel like I do ? Surely must be.

Regarding this whole issue- I certainly suggest you get in touch with the shop directly, and explain how you feel. Most fireworks shops are small businesses- your feedback probably will be read by the same person who selects the stock- so it is useful to them to know what people did and didn't like.

That said, when I've written to/contacted shops in the past the responce has been very mixed, which is to be expected. If your concerns are with the fireworks themselves, then you could also contact the company who make them. Some shops simply copy word-for-word firework descriptions from manufactuers catalogues, so misleading terms simply are passed on.

Edited by David, 11 November 2008 - 06:45 PM.

#25 Aftershock

Aftershock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:57 PM

Gigantic Crab!!! says: join UKFR, problems solved.

Is their not a fee for doing this?

#26 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:37 PM

There is, but wouldn't cost you as much as buying a poor single ignition firework - plus there are plenty of suppliers who advertise on UKFR and offer members special discounts :)

#27 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:46 PM

Is their not a fee for doing this?

Yeah, about £10 for three months or £25 for a year.

As for the special discounts, they vary from shop to shop. Two shops this year offered a straight percentage discount, Two or three offered special discounted prices to UKFR members (varying, I assume, with spend) and other shops mentioned special offers for a limited period of time. With other shops it is more a case of mentioning you are a UKFR member and they do you a deal.

A lot of the site can be browsed for free.

Edited by David, 12 November 2008 - 08:48 PM.

#28 screwball

screwball

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

you can get 2 or 3x your membership back in savings/discounts even on 1 item purchased if not 20 or 30x on a big order , never mind the information contained in the site which is priceless at times

#29 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:09 PM

If you do come to the UKFR, you will find myself, and other guys from this forum post there a lot! Although, that said, my membership is coming to a close. I add comments to the reviews under the name moonlightshasdow - so if you spot those comments, thats me!

Edited by David, 12 November 2008 - 09:12 PM.

#30 SamCT

SamCT

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:16 PM

i brought cosmic, golden lion and fireworks international brands.

from cosmic the 'super nova' ' armageddon' and the 'crackle b0mb' were VERY good.

golden lion 'Black Panther' Rockets were also same standard

and fireworks international 'missile attack'? (i think,(red tubes with yellow caps?))

they were all great.

i will admit quite a bit of mine didnt really get me going, but then i didnt spend that much on rockets really, and we had two selection boxes which are all full of fountains these days.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users