• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#31 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

I bought loads of different brands this year and brands i wouldnt normally buy due to a few reasons: budget, time constraints with respect to travelling etc.

I bought a lot of Fireworks International cakes as the main part of my display, for the simple reason that a local shop was selling them buy one get one half price (and eventually near to the big date buy one get one free).  Plus, i've had Fireworks International before and they are a rock solid brand.

To suppliment this I bought a few Bogofs at a local garden centre with a bit of trepidation - namely a 3 pack Esco barrage box and a Bright Star Star charger Rocket pack (27 pack).  Both for a total of 20 quid. Then to top this up further i bought (with further trepidation) a Atomic Furnace barrage box (14 pack) and Guy Fawkes Roaring Rocket pack (15 pack) for a combined 40 quid from JTF (shudder).  My final purchases were new reg Ion Storm, Crackling Ion Storm and Hellfire Barrages from Bright Star and a Continental Shaker from Sparky.

Firstly the Fireworks International cakes (Cheeky Cherries, Greedy Goblins, Howling wolves, Crazy Horses etc) - nothing really to add to what has already been said, solid brand and a good price.

Secondly the Esco Barrage box (3 ten shot barrages).  All over very quickly as youd expect for ten shotters but, wait for it, WOW.  I was surprised by the amount of colour, different effects from each one and the volume...very impressive from new reg barrages.  Clear peony breaks.

JTF Guy Fawkes range.  I wont pull no punches - the rockets were crap...but at 6 quid for 15 i should have guessed.  No complaints.  The barrage box, at 34 quid for 14 was a real shocker...in a good way.  Some of the smaller cakes were a bit samey and weak (comets basically) but some of the larger barrages and in particular the small shot fan barrages were excellent.  I've never seen crossettes in small barrage boxes before so it was a real pleasant surprise to see them in a 34 quid barrage box!

Bright Star - Star charger rockets - New regulation so was not expecting a great deal but another pleasant surprise.  The rockets were no big rockets by any stretch, but the peony breaks were clear, colourful and loud.

Ion Storm Barrages.  Have changed with the new regs.  The Ion Storm is similar but the Crackling Ion Storm ends with bouquets now and not Peony bursts.  Not bad for the money.

Hellfire barrage - originally an air bomb repeater (to be blunt), but the new regs have changed it and now its basically a 19 shot peony barrage.  Not bad but not worth the money - very samey and colours not very inventive.

Sparky Fireworks - Continental Shaker - 38 shot big bore cake.  Very, Very good.  Peony bursts, Chrysanthemum burst to fish, and Willow bursts ending in a mine effect/triple peony burst.  Massive cake andhighly recommended.

#32 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:48 PM

With regard to my dissatisfaction with crisp bag popping reports from large expensive Menshun barrages I received the following feedback from my stockist (in response to my complaint that the supermarket top ups had a better report)

"I find it quite worrying that a supermarket that stocks probably only a
dozen different fireworks and probably has very little product knowledge
about those items gets better products than we do. Maybe in the future as
with many things the supermarket will be the only place to buy fireworks."

"I think many in the trade would predict a fairly gloomy future for the larger
display firework and I would not be surprised to see the day come when just
small garden boxes and sparklers would be the only products available".

Kinda worrying to hear this from a guy thats been in the business for many years.

#33 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 12:40 AM

I wouldn't worry too much- there ARE still loud fireworks available, but these will be 1.3G. My adivce is next year to check out forums such as this one and the UKFR in August, September- check out who is offering what deals, what is new, what has "caught the attention" etc.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#34 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:04 AM

I know this may sound irrelevent to this particular topic, but location can play a large part on the db effect i.e - if you are in or near to a open field, then sound has nowhere solid to bounce of off!, but if fireworks are let-off near houses/buildings then you get a louder bang in general!

#35 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 02:59 AM

I know this may sound irrelevent to this particular topic, but location can play a large part on the db effect i.e - if you are in or near to a open field, then sound has nowhere solid to bounce of off!, but if fireworks are let-off near houses/buildings then you get a louder bang in general!

Indeed- even the smallest blackpowder cakes can give a "thump" as it goes up, and a nice echoing bang when it goes off in the right setting.

I think too if you were EXPECTING massive noise, then blackpowder effects can be somewhat disapointing, but if you were EXPECTING it to be very weak then you could be pleasantly surprised. If that makes sense?

#36 RichardEvans

RichardEvans

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

If you want loud bangs, 1.3G CAT 3, just go to Epic, they make their own brand, Paramount, Marvel and Oriental. They will defantly keep bringing in 1.3G Cat 3 fireworks, unless the government goes and bans them aswell... sigh.

#37 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:22 PM

Hi RichardEvans- welcome to the forums! Maybe put a post on the general forum introducing yourself, say what kind of pyro you like etc. Its nice to see new faces here, the more the merrier.

#38 Aftershock

Aftershock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

Hi RichardEvans- welcome to the forums! Maybe put a post on the general forum introducing yourself, say what kind of pyro you like etc. Its nice to see new faces here, the more the merrier.

What kind of pyro = epic lol

#39 RichardEvans

RichardEvans

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:53 PM

What kind of pyro = epic lol

Oi lol.

What can I say, Epic just do it for me... ok now I have made it worse... +tapes over mouth+

#40 Aftershock

Aftershock

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:37 PM

Oi lol.

What can I say, Epic just do it for me... ok now I have made it worse... +tapes over mouth+

Was only kidding, did do all my shopping their this year and last.

#41 RichardEvans

RichardEvans

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

Was only kidding, did do all my shopping their this year and last.

heh heh :P

What did ya get?

#42 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:45 AM

Just to say that my fears concerning the lack of flash in consumer fireworks came true on saturday night. Absolutely no guts to any of the large barrages I bought this year (and I had about £700 worth).

I think, based on people I have spoken to at work etc, other people have been saying similar. It seems that complaints centre on the bigger barrages- "finale" pieces, and SIBS- Single Ignition Boxes. People buy a big firework expecting it to be massive in all respects- including very loud, with very big breaks. Frankly blackpowder struggles to do this. With smaller fireworks folk are generally happy- blackpowder effects do have some volume to them, and the effetcs look nice.

Put another way- with the bigger £100 a time stuff people are expecting something more than blackpowder can produce.

#43 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

If you want loud bangs, 1.3G CAT 3, just go to Epic, they make their own brand, Paramount, Marvel and Oriental. They will defantly keep bringing in 1.3G Cat 3 fireworks, unless the government goes and bans them aswell... sigh.

I don't think they are bringing in any new lines this year, although of course the 2008 range is still very good.

#44 Grand Pyro Master

Grand Pyro Master

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

I don't think they are bringing in any new lines this year, although of course the 2008 range is still very good.

Many thanks for the commet David.
The Epic Fireworks team are currently updating the website and showroom.
In total, there will more than 20 new lines added to the largest range of fireworks in the UK.
Cheers. The Epic fireworks Team.

#45 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

Many thanks for the commet David.
The Epic Fireworks team are currently updating the website and showroom.
In total, there will more than 20 new lines added to the largest range of fireworks in the UK.
Cheers. The Epic fireworks Team.

Cool- I'll look forward to seeing them! ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users