65 replies to this topic

#16 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:18 PM

Your reply is just a quote of my original post??
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#17 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:37 PM

Just registered today, been in the industry for about 5 years now. just like to add my concerns on about where we go over the next 5 years. As mentioned earlier C have gone to the wall and I heard today that another big player has also gone into administration - I won't "mention" their name. Rumour I heard is that they were offered the chance to continue running under administration but the owner elected to lay everybody off and cease trading. :(

#18 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

Just registered today, been in the industry for about 5 years now. just like to add my concerns on about where we go over the next 5 years. As mentioned earlier C have gone to the wall and I heard today that another big player has also gone into administration - I won't "mention" their name. Rumour I heard is that they were offered the chance to continue running under administration but the owner elected to lay everybody off and cease trading. :(

With Cosmic I think it might be a case of the king is dead, long live the king (so to speak.) Cosmic Fireworks ltd is in administration, but there is also a company now... "COSMIC FIREWORKS U.K LTD."

As for the rumour that (adult) males avoid being in administration. Not sure. My gut feeling would be that it is unlikley- would be significant if they have, though. I only know of one shop (and they are massive) which solely stocks that brand.

More generally- welcome aboard- feel free to join in with any topics!

Edited by David, 21 April 2009 - 01:40 AM.

#19 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

With Cosmic I think it might be a case of the king is dead, long live the king (so to speak.)

As for the rumour that (adult) males avoid being in administration. Not sure. My gut feeling would be that it is unlikley- would be significant if they have, though. I only know of one shop (and they are massive) which solely stocks that brand.

More generally- welcome aboard- feel free to join in with any topics!

Thanks for the welcome David....

.....yes , it IS significant.... the "blokes we ignore" are no more.....

I have more info, but it is not really the sort of stuff to discuss in open forum, I guess it will all be public knowledge by the end of the week tho. Seems a major seller will be looking for a new supplier.

#20 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:04 AM

Seems a major seller will be looking for a new supplier.

Assuming that this rumour is true, then this major seller could struggle. Given the weak £ and current trading conditions, I'm not sure who else could make them the kind of deal they expect.

#21 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

A couple of other people have mentioned this today, so fairly sure its verified. Not sure what will happen next, but sounds like they are just packing up.

#22 eckid

eckid

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 05:55 AM

hi all all rumours true about the big 2 cosmic have set up again of which was certain but i think it will be hard for any suppliers to get any credit now so there will be a huge shortage of fireworks this year the only firework company seems to be moving in right direction is dancing red devil fireworks they always bring new products out each year and they have taken on new sales team any one needing stock should certainly call them well worth a call

#23 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:29 AM

and of course you have nothing to do with them do you, ffs :rolleyes:

I am sure the likes of Brothers, Absolute Fireworks, Fireworks International, Kimbolton, Black Cat etc etc etc are going to be really short of stock

Edited by Starsky72, 22 April 2009 - 10:30 AM.

#24 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:07 AM

the only firework company seems to be moving in right direction is dancing red devil fireworks they always bring new products out each year and they have taken on new sales team any one needing stock should certainly call them well worth a call

Firstly, hello! Welcome to the boards.

Secondly, Starksy has a very good point.

A brand new member comes on, and in their very first post singles out a specific company for praise. This seems to happen a lot.

I think it would be useful if new posters said who they were , what their connection to the industry was etc.

I mean- it's useful to have people on the boards who work for companies, they can answer questions etc- but just be clear about who you are!

Remember, these are discussion boards, NOT an advertising service. If a person wants to come on here specifcally to promote a brand, then contact a moderator and go from there.

Edited by David, 22 April 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#25 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:12 PM

the only firework company seems to be moving in right direction is .......########### fireworks they always bring new products out each year and they have taken on new sales team any one needing stock should certainly call them well worth a call

A rather bold statement given the capabilities of the companies and their staff that post on here as general "non-advertising" chat.

Also, what you describe above would have applied to both COSMIC and MENSHUN last year so I wouldn't start counting those chickens just yet ;)

I could list what we are doing and how we are moving in the right direction, and how getting credit is not hard, and how our stocks are selling like hot cakes...
but

a ) to identify the company I primarily work with purely to advertise

and
b ) use this as a blatant oportunity to make grossly unfounded claims........

would be rather impertinent ....don't you agree? :D

Edited by TGR, 22 April 2009 - 02:15 PM.

#26 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:47 PM

a ) to identify the company I primarily work with purely to advertise

and
b ) use this as a blatant oportunity to make grossly unfounded claims........

would be rather impertinent ....don't you agree? :D

Yeah-

The issue here is always going to be the veracity of posters.

Some comments will be positive, other comments will be critical.

Its when people start making positive comments (often that are debateable, or simply false) soley in order to promote a business with which they are connected that there is a problem.

Edited by David, 22 April 2009 - 11:48 PM.

#27 Sophie

Sophie

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

Already knew about Cosmic as my post earlier but who is the second company is it Men Shun?

If so, from my personal opinion this is a range I was very disappointed with thought majority of the items were poor and slow paced, only ignition cake that really stood out was Sky Diving Devils, which was something unique but as for the rest poor. I thought the selection boxes etc for the family's were embarrasing as very bad quality and very very short duration.

Also with selling fireworks we test all our lines and when we fetched in the range we were very disappointed with the number of faulty items where not all fired and blown. We stocked them for one year and I would never stock again in my opinion very cheap brand and the firework quality is embarrassing. So if it is Men Shun I am not as gutted only feel for the jobs lost. Just my opinion.

#28 TGR

TGR

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

it is Menshun Sophie and is public knowledge now.

and I know what you mean about disappointment with some fireworks. I was asked to run some tests on a selection box made by a well known company (not one of the ones mentioned in here). I lit the fuse on a small fountain and will swear blind the effects from the fuse burning was better than the actual firework and it lasted longer too :lol:

#29 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 12:26 AM

Men Shun

If so, from my personal opinion this is a range I was very disappointed with thought majority of the items were poor and slow paced, only ignition cake that really stood out was Sky Diving Devils, which was something unique but as for the rest poor. I thought the selection boxes etc for the family's were embarrasing as very bad quality and very very short duration.

There were some nice items it is range, Secret Action, a 36 shotter for about £10.99 circa 2004 was ace. Under appreciated stuff like the old demolition selection were good. However, they had a large range, meaning the same effect cropped up again, and again and again.

More generally, at a head-to-head comparison with other brands at RRP they were very weak.

They also rushed the changeover to blackpowder in 2007, leading to some awful fireworks- however their 2008 range had significantly picked up, with some really pretty pieces.

They also produced the "Guy Fawkes" range.

Edited by David, 23 April 2009 - 12:29 AM.

#30 sjc

sjc

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:27 PM

MenShun fireworks have great labels and interesting names. They sell well too!

However, I spent £200 last November on the MenShun range but I was really disappointed with the effects. The smaller (and cheaper) Firework International cakes offered better much better value!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users