185 replies to this topic

#16 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:54 PM

OK fellas do I detect a reluctancy to post a list of 120db fireworks because to be honest they really dont exist anymore

Nope.

The thing is, this board isn't an advertising board. Directly links to retail shops are discouraged and may be pulled, and it's generally not done for retailers to simply say "we sell this, its ace, come to us and buy it" on this forum.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#17 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

Are you perhaps trying to say in a round about way that we have to accept the crisp packet pop and crackle stuff. Posted Image Or is there hope for the "old school" ! Posted Image

Yes, there is hope- 1.3G and Pyromeshed stuff!

Its worth joining the UKFR, and having a chat with retailers there, or starting a thread. Also, they might do you a deal.

#18 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

Nope.

The thing is, this board isn't an advertising board. Directly links to retail shops are discouraged and may be pulled, and it's generally not done for retailers to simply say "we sell this, its ace, come to us and buy it" on this forum.

Only asking for advice here not asking for you to advertise stockists - whats the problem. Are we not supposed to share info on this forum ? Come on you are not being very helpfull blackpowder fan.....Posted Image

#19 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:45 PM

Only asking for advice here not asking for you to advertise stockists - whats the problem. Are we not supposed to share info on this forum ? Come on you are not being very helpfull blackpowder fan.....Posted Image

No problem as such, but it's kind of a grey area.

Forum rules are that "Posting of any form of advertising, promotions, or links to incite commercial gain are forbidden.

As such, if anyone owns or is connected to a shop, and posts a reply along the lines of "We sell this" that could be considered to be posting/linking to incite commercial gain.

Whilst the advice may well be good, and sincere, it does open the doors up to retailers to come on here JUST to hawk their products, which could be a problem around bonfire night.

To add- There is also the potential issue of retailers coming on just to offer "advice" that isn't exactly appropriate. Sometimes a retailer will talk about how great or how loud something isn't when in fact it isn't - which takes us abck to your original problem. (To be clear- this is not directed at any retailers who currently use the site.)

Edited by David, 02 September 2009 - 10:51 PM.

#20 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

I really cant decide whether you are trying to be helpfull or just full of "blackpowder" David. I have noted lots of people posting about Cat 3 stuff on this site and particularly their dissatisfaction with 1.4G etc
I just want to make sure that I get what I expect from a firework and not led up the garden path with misleading information and terminology. Ya got it buddy !!

#21 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

I just want to make sure that I get what I expect from a firework and not led up the garden path with misleading information and terminology. Ya got it buddy !!

Yes, I know what you mean. Thing is, most users of this site are not really big Cat 3 "fans" - you would probably get a better variety of responce on the UKFR.

The simple answer, as I mentioned on page 1, is to look for 1.3G fireworks and "pyromeshed" fireworks. Check out the sites that sell them, watch the videos, see what you think!

Personally, I have no vested interest in promoting any specfic firework, blackpowder, 1.3G or pyromeshed.

#22 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

Yes, I know what you mean. Thing is, most users of this site are not really big Cat 3 "fans" - you would probably get a better variety of responce on the UKFR.

The simple answer, as I mentioned on page 1, is to look for 1.3G fireworks and "pyromeshed" fireworks. Check out the sites that sell them, watch the videos, see what you think!

Personally, I have no vested interest in promoting any specfic firework, blackpowder, 1.3G or pyromeshed.

#23 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

Right O
Thanks

#24 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:11 AM

Right O
Thanks

Cool- my general advice would be that if you are looking for information or discussion about the heritage, science, history and art of pyrotechnics, including Cat3, then this forum is good. The UKFR is more devoted to specific consumer Cat 3 fireworks (what does what and where can I get it etc). Their reviews can be browsed to some extent for free, although not all refer to current spec items.

#25 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:29 PM

OK, you are not going to find anything that will set of car alarms like the good ol' days, they used to contain 70 - 80% flash, you can still get 1.3g stuff that is loud, but some of it is no louder than 1.4g.

I would go for 100mm mines (1.3g) and big rockets, they are going to give you the biggest boom as they contain the most powder in a single burst, anything with multiple bursts is not going to be as loud.

Edited by Firework Crazy, 04 September 2009 - 06:29 PM.

Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#26 Grand Pyro Master

Grand Pyro Master

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:26 AM

OK, you are not going to find anything that will set of car alarms like the good ol' days, they used to contain 70 - 80% flash, you can still get 1.3g stuff that is loud, but some of it is no louder than 1.4g.

I would go for 100mm mines (1.3g) and big rockets, they are going to give you the biggest boom as they contain the most powder in a single burst, anything with multiple bursts is not going to be as loud.

LOL

#27 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:15 AM

do you not agree old wise Pyro Master ;)

#28 Grand Pyro Master

Grand Pyro Master

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:45 AM

do you not agree old wise Pyro Master Posted Image

All i can say is that when i was in china - i asked to see to all items in 1.4g and 1.3g. The difference was huge.

My view on new reg 1.4g fireworks are that they are weak. Also prices are always going up in china - so consumers are paying more money for a weaker firework........ you gotta be one hell of a salesman if you want your customers to keep coming back !

We decided to go down the 1.3g road - we care about our customers.

#29 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

I guess it depends, to a certain extent, on the skill of the technicians at the factories you buy from, it is more straightforward to make a "pokey" firework when you have 25% flash to play with :)

It's all too easy to blanket all 1.4G items and say they are weak, some certainly are however the 1.3G label is by no means a guarantee of "quality", of rich colours, of consistency, of build quality or customer care ;)

Stu

#30 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:02 AM

It's all too easy to blanket all 1.4G items and say they are weak, some certainly are however the 1.3G label is by no means a guarantee of "quality", of rich colours, of consistency, of build quality or customer care Posted Image

Stu

Yep!.............Fireworks International's Crazy Horses (new 1.4 spec) still wipes the floor with many olds spec and new 1.3 products. (Same for a number of products from Absolute and Brothers).

1.3 is generally going to be more pokey, but not always a 'better' product - especially with regard to colour....and storage!

There will always be a demand by enthusiasts for 1.3 products until they become acclimatised to lower flash levels, which they will in time. (It may well be that many of the general public will start to regard louder fireworks as less socially acceptable as 1.4 becomes the norm)

It's a bit like comparing the performance of diesel engine cars with petrol ones a few years ago....and look whats happened to diesels now! Success will be rewarded to those manufacturers who innovate.

The change in spec was not something which many retailers or users particularly welcomed, but we're stuck with it and will have to learn to live with it.

Edited by chimp, 07 September 2009 - 10:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users