• Please log in to reply
185 replies to this topic

#46 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

I think the apex of this, in the long term, is simply whether or not the general public will be happy with the performance and cost of 1.4G fireworks.

The general public's opinion on the performance of 1.4 will have no influence whatsoever over any legislative changes restricting the availability of 1.3.

The vast majority of fireworks are bought by 'once a year customers' who don't remember what previous performance was like. Rockets not withstanding, most users will probably not even notice there's been a change. Any decline in sales will result from a minority of enthusiasts not wanting 1.4 products, and annual buyers not liking the significant price increases this year.

#47 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 02:49 PM

The vast majority of fireworks are bought by 'once a year customers' who don't remember what previous performance was like.

Do you think that people won't notice that fireworks are (generally) not as loud as they used to be? I honestly don't know.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#48 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:38 PM

The general public's opinion on the performance of 1.4 will have no influence whatsoever over any legislative changes restricting the availability of 1.3.

The vast majority of fireworks are bought by 'once a year customers' who don't remember what previous performance was like. Rockets not withstanding, most users will probably not even notice there's been a change. Any decline in sales will result from a minority of enthusiasts not wanting 1.4 products, and annual buyers not liking the significant price increases this year.

Hey Chimpo - What a lovely big sweeping statement - applause Posted Image !!!
Is this another Blackpowder Shmowder we have on the forum ?
I think that you may find there are a lot of astute consumers out there who are not as thick (or perhaps deaf) as you seem to suggest Posted Image

I remain unconverted and will continue to preach the flash doctrine Posted Image

BOOM BOOM !
or is it fizz pop for you ?

#49 Grand Pyro Master

Grand Pyro Master

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I think that you may find there are a lot of astute consumers out there who are not as thick (or perhaps deaf) as you seem to suggest Posted Image

I remain unconverted and will continue to preach the flash doctrine Posted Image

BOOM BOOM !

Your BANG on. Consumers are not daft.

#50 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:28 PM

I think that you may find there are a lot of astute consumers out there who are not as thick (or perhaps deaf) as you seem to suggest

I'd suspect that the customer who spends 100s will certainly be aware, in the long term, of the value for money and performance of the fireworks they buy and use, even if they don't know the "ins and outs" of the changes.

(This is not to say that 1.4G stuff is necessarily poor value for money or gives a poor performance.)

#51 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

I'd suspect that the customer who spends 100s will certainly be aware, in the long term, of the value for money and performance of the fireworks they buy and use, even if they don't know the "ins and outs" of the changes.

(This is not to say that 1.4G stuff is necessarily poor value for money or gives a poor performance.)

Yes I admit it does take a bit of getting the head round the ins and outs and the terminology but I have found this forum quite helpful since joining last year.
Some of the links are very useful also. (if you got half the night to stay up and read all the legislative stuff )

Frrzzzz pop...

#52 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

spot on mate..

look at the volume of material sold to the general public that "enthusiasts" would turn their nose up at, consider the vast numbers of selection boxes, packs of sparklers, small cat2 cakes etc that are sold

I am sure that some of our more discerning customers will notice however in my opinion the overwhelming majority of the public known as Joe generally wont notice :)

#53 Grand Pyro Master

Grand Pyro Master

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:32 PM

spot on mate..

I am sure that some of our more discerning customers will notice however in my opinion the overwhelming majority of the public known as Joe generally wont notice Posted Image

Lets wait and see. :rolleyes:

#54 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:32 PM

Yes, yes, yes, granted the fizz poppers have their place but does that have to mean that the consumer is not afforded a choice of product. I still see plenty big 4 x 4 motors sharing the road with smart cars. Its just a question of affordability. (And the small matter of irrepairable damage to the planet)
Why should a few hundred quid of bangers be any different 1 night a year.
Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted among us.

Lets get the petitions started right now !!!

On another relevant matter - what about the potential misrepresentation under the terms of the Trades Description Act concerning some of the large 1.4G cakes ?? Anyone want to comment.

sssszingg plip....

#55 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:47 PM

understand where you are coming from Floydman :)

#56 Grand Pyro Master

Grand Pyro Master

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:53 PM

understand where you are coming from Floydman Posted Image

RESPECT Stu.

#57 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

On another relevant matter - what about the potential misrepresentation under the terms of the Trades Description Act concerning some of the large 1.4G cakes ?? Anyone want to comment.

If any SPECIFIC claims are made such as:

"Maximum legal volume"
"Loudest available in the UK"

Then yeah, there could be a case. If something was presented as an actual description of effects, and the product did not match those then there might be a case. Eg if something was described on a website "This sends up comets to loud bangs" and in fact it was comets that didn't bang at all, for example, then there might be a case that you were sold an item under a false description.

However, more general claims such as "Thunderous" "Earth Shaking" or even "best" or "top quality" are very subjective- they could be taken to be metaphors, or acceptable terms to be used to promote a product. Even pictures or videos could be covered by a disclaimer- "Actual firework may be different- this image/footage is for entertainment only" etc.. or whatever they say.

So unless a product makes a SPECIFIC claim then there isn't a case.

#58 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:22 PM

Or put directly- Buyer Beware! Especially from most seasonals (and double espeically s*perm*arkets), who, in all honesty, have little to lose by selling someone duff muck.

Edit (to add)- I saw the £40 cake one of them was doing last year (I didn't buy it, someone else did, I'll add) and frankly it was awful. Anyone remember the bursts on Men Shun's "Polaris?"- Entrry level blackpowder bursts, that sort of thing, with a bit of glitter and some poppy crackle.

Not all 1.4G is like that, of course. But heck, I'm sure even the most uncritical of Joe Public would have noticed a difference on stuff like that.

Edited by David, 10 September 2009 - 10:36 PM.

#59 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:12 AM

Yes there are some very adventurious claims made in this industry by some.
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#60 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 08:40 AM

BOOM BOOM !

Just as a matter of interest Floydman, how long have you been retailing fireworks?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users