185 replies to this topic

#31 Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

Firework Crazy

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:08 AM

I've seen some real crap 1.3g stuff. In fact only the other week we we're testing some various samples and I can tell you now we had some louder new reg stuff than old
Regards.

Mark

Posted Image

#32 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:02 AM

My own personal opinion on this is that balck powder based 1.4G fireworks are perfectly good, and enjoyable, at the cheaper price points. However, for the "bigger stuff" I do think that the 1.3G SIBs and fan barrages have a massive advantage, in that they produce the sort of volume that people expect from a large (and pricey) firework.

For sure, I will be happy to change my opinion if I see any 1.4G SIBs, finale barrages etc in action that can produce comparable volume.

Kimboloton and 2008 Men Shun produced some very pretty, enjoyable and creative 1.4G barrages, but without the volume, it lacks the "punch" that a finale barrage really needs, in my opinion.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#33 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:38 PM

[/i]There will always be a demand by enthusiasts for 1.3 products until they become acclimatised to lower flash levels, which they will in time. (It may well be that many of the general public will start to regard louder fireworks as less socially acceptable as 1.4 becomes the norm)

I'd certainly say that the general public will be inclined 1.3G (or meshed so so to be 1.4G) rockets this year. They might not know the "ins and outs" of the classification system, but I think people's general expectations with a rocket is something with a decent burst, that makes some noise. I mean- they might buy some of the "big" 1.4G packs, but they are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Have the general public (in the main) been happy and satisfied with the new spec 1.4G fireworks?

Floydman, who started this topic, was quite clearly disappointed, but his reaction may not be typical.

#34 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:59 PM

I'd certainly say that the general public will be inclined 1.3G (or meshed so so to be 1.4G) rockets this year. They might not know the "ins and outs" of the classification system, but I think people's general expectations with a rocket is something with a decent burst, that makes some noise. I mean- they might buy some of the "big" 1.4G packs, but they are setting themselves up to be disappointed.

Have the general public (in the main) been happy and satisfied with the new spec 1.4G fireworks?

Floydman, who started this topic, was quite clearly disappointed, but his reaction may not be typical.

Satisfaction is generally relative. Customers buying 1.4 this year and comparing it to pre-change will be disappointed if they're looking for punch and noise, but equally so they may be happier if they're looking for colour and effect with a little less (and often said) excess noise. I know of many punters who avoid 'loud bangs' - they will relish the new stuff.

I think you're closer to the truth with rockets mind you; many rocket fans are blokes looking for big, punchy bursts. These customers will almost certainly be disappointed unless they stick to £7 cat 2 packs for the back garden. In my mind, there's not much of a place for anything between these and meshed rockets, and for that reason you have to wonder what the future will hold for 'unmeshed 1.4 rockets' above the typical £7 /cat 2 packs.
I personally see no point in 'proper' retailers selling them.

#35 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:47 AM

I think David is right, rockets are where the majority of the public will notice a difference.

We have been selling Kimbolton rocket packs for a number of years, they have been "new regs" for at least the past two seasons (Kimbolton were an early adopter of the new regulations) and we haven't had any adverse feedback. (that could however be down to the guys in the shop knowing their stuff and managing the customers expectations accordingly :) )

Luckily we haven't seen a deluge of air filled 1.4G rockets, the head sizes have been kept sensible which hopefully will be an indication of the smaller bursts that you will undoubtably get with the smaller payload and lack of flashpowder.

It's something the public will just have to get used to, eventually there will be regulations stating that the public may only purchase 1.4G, reserving 1.3G for professional use.

#36 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

Kimbolton, as Starksy mentioned, can be trusted to do good things with their rockets, although I'm yet to try them.

There are some pretty "over dressed" ones around, or at least there were, thats for sure. I had some from Sparky- I think they were nominally £15 for a pack of 4 rockets. I actually quite liked them, because I knew what to expect from the burst, but I can see how the general public would be very disappointed with them if they were expecting an old-style burst- or indeed were expecting a bang of any kind. These were, in effect, silent bursts- even at the Cat 2 distance.

I don't hold much hope for the "bigger" rocket packs that the s*permarkets [sic] will be doing this year. Unless Joe Public knows what to expect, then they are very likely to be very disappointed.

Hopefully, if that is the case, their responce will be "I'm not shopping there for fireworks again" rather than "I'm not buying fireworks again."

That said, I may simply have got this one wrong. Perhaps the firework buying public will appreciate the "whoosh", and be happy with the small busts and lack of volume. Indeed- perhaps people will appreciate the low noise factor.

#37 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

eventually there will be regulations stating that the public may only purchase 1.4G, reserving 1.3G for
professional use.

It's the safest bet in the world......

#38 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Speaking for myself, I like both 1.3G and 1.4G - and this year I'll be buying and using both. However, if 1.3G was unavailable, then I'd probably either consider going professional, or simply pack in the hobby altogether.

#39 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 11:05 PM

I agree with your last post David. If all the choice I will have in future is 1.4G then its ta ta from me I'm afraid and I dare say many, many other pyro fans. And saying that I suppose the minority of chavs in our communities have succeeded in ruining a centuries old traditional British celebration.
I am convinced that fireworks (rockets and SIBS) have to have a decent burst to make them exciting. How can anyone really hand on heart say they are happy with a snap, crackle and a pop !!
Personally I am pinning my hopes on our authorities coming up with a sensible and specific way of stopping these prats !!! - or am I being sadly misguided ? I do believe the statutory initiatives already in place are satisfactorily reducing the nuisance factor without pandering wholly to the nanny state ideologists.
Christ - some of the prats driving around in cars with large exhausts must exceed 120db and they are on the streets almost every night of the year...... and without insurance, tax etc etc.

I take my hat off to those stockists with the 1.3G gear. Keep it going guys !!!

May I be as bold to suggest a campaign against the lowering of the decibel limit any further ??

Gone fishing.

#40 Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

Gigantic Crab!!!

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:16 AM

Gigantic Crab!!! says; a covertly placed ground maroon or two behind the crowd to be remotely detonated at the end of the display is an excellent way to get your friends to soil themselves.

Gigantic Crab!!! recommends purchasing shares in clean undergarments before undertaking such misadventures.

#41 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

You have to look at why the regulations were changed in the first place, what was the motivation and the desired outcome of reducing the amounts of flashpowder (or similar behaving compounds) in 1.4G fireworks... if that desired outcome has not been reached then you can put money on further changes to regulations :)

#42 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:42 AM

Well, the fact remains (at the moment) that 1.3G fireworks have been tested and passed to BS7114:Part 2:1988 , and approved as Category 3 fireworks for use by the general public.

This may change in the future, of course.

That said, we may well soon be seeing a change of government, with different priorities and perhaps different motivations.

Traditionally (although who knows nowadays) the Conservatives have typically been inclined to support the interests of small businesses.

I don't know if there will be any active consultation with the fireworks industry if there are moves to change the rules. One of the problems with the smoking ban (for example) was that they brought in rules which would seriously affect trade, but did nothing to balance them.

Edited by David, 10 September 2009 - 09:52 AM.

#43 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

if there is active consultation within the "industry" then it will only go one way :)

#44 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

I agree with your last post David. If all the choice I will have in future is 1.4G then its ta ta from me I'm afraid and I dare say many, many other pyro fans

I think the apex of this, in the long term, is simply whether or not the general public will be happy with the performance and cost of 1.4G fireworks.

If the general public are happy, then good stuff, business as usual.

If the performance of fireworks fails to live up to people's expectations, however, then demand will no doubt decline significantly.

#45 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:13 PM

How can anyone really hand on heart say they are happy with a snap, crackle and a pop !!

In small stuff its fine.

Edited by David, 10 September 2009 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users