• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:27 PM

So most companies have raised their prices, GNF by a minimum of £5 per firework often more over 2008 prices. Epic have removed the free items for collection and had some price increases and im sure other retailers have too...

Its the same fireworks, possibly even some of the same stock, did they really need to add to their prices to cover the credit crunch? or increased fuel cost? But at £5 minimum per firework in most cases its cutting the value you get.

Is this the pattern we will see from now on untill no one can afford them? I certainly hope not!

#2 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

Is this the pattern we will see from now on untill no one can afford them? I certainly hope not!

I'm upbeat about this- there are still good value fireworks available, if you look around enough I'm sure you will find them.
OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#3 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:42 PM

You may be upbeat David but the highest volume of sales is from Joe Public and not just enthusiasts. They don't tend to shop around much. If they percieve fireworks as expensive they will cease to buy as many or in some cases none at all.

With the generally weaker bursts coming in this year I am afraid that many will see fireworks as going down in quality and going up in price. Hardly a good combination. The man in the street doesn't know or care about the new regs. They expect comparable quality to the last few years. I am not optimistic at all and think that this year will be the last for many consumers and they will opt to go to public displays.
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#4 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

You may be upbeat David but the highest volume of sales is from Joe Public and not just enthusiasts. They don't tend to shop around much. If they percieve fireworks as expensive they will cease to buy as many or in some cases none at all.

With the generally weaker bursts coming in this year I am afraid that many will see fireworks as going down in quality and going up in price. Hardly a good combination. The man in the street doesn't know or care about the new regs. They expect comparable quality to the last few years. I am not optimistic at all and think that this year will be the last for many consumers and they will opt to go to public displays.

Yes, I see what you mean, people may simply forgo buying fireworks themseleves and go public displays.

Edited by David, 16 September 2009 - 11:55 PM.

#5 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:18 AM

Yes the price increases from China, the weakening of the £ v $ coupled with the "new" regulations (few years old now to be pedantic) is not the greatest combination in the world, but its what we have and its what we have to work with, so we intend on making the best of it :)

We have plenty of "selection box, cat2 cake, pack of rockets and some sparklers" and as such these customers will notice very little, if anything - which is good :)

For the purchaser of the larger items well for this year we still have some old spec and will be getting some 1.3G items in (fingers crossed) and will be displaying these separately from the rest of the stock, allowing us to explain the differences between the performance and let the customers choose.

In my view the problem lies with the corner shops / seasonals / supermarkets who just wont have the product knowledge to be able to explain what their products actually perform like, manage the customers expectations and therefore their satisfaction with the purchases they make

Stu

#6 Prestonboi

Prestonboi

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

I am not optimistic at all and think that this year will be the last for many consumers and they will opt to go to public displays.

My worst nightmare!

#7 Mortartube

Mortartube

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 09:09 AM

I agree with Starsky on the point that most Cat 2 consumers will see little change (if any), but unfortunately the real markup is on the bigger cakes and rockets for many. It is here that I feel the public will see a drop in performance.

The casual trader is the worst problem as pointed out, and some often make claims that exceed performance anyway. If a corner shop did have a good item last year that sold well and it is now weakened, they may also continue to recommend it on past performance.

This combination of higher prices and smaller bursts could not have come at a worst time economically. However there will always be the consumer who hasn't got a clue. I have often heard certain people say they had a great firework last year. When you ask them what it was called, they have no idea.

Fingers crossed that lots of the ones who take no notice of the effects will buy lots :)
Organisation is a wonderful trait in others

#8 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

I wonder if rising wholesale prices might put some of the small seasonals (corner shops and the like) off stocking fireworks at all.

#9 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:25 AM

Its a shame really because for most people (me included) fireworks of any form are a luxury and one that if the trend continues will be completly removed from my yearly festivities. So ok, one shop will not be getting my £300-400 yeach year, not a big deal? How many other people will do the same? and at what point will the industry reach break point where enough people like me dont spend?

Start of the downward spiral?

#10 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:40 PM

A hike in price, along with the change in regulations means this year I will not be participating in my own Bonfire Night.  I will be going to an organised display.  This is unknown for me and the first time in over 25 years.

I'm not what you would call a total enthusiast along the lines of a lot of people on here.  I like fireworks, a lot, and look at Pyro related websites all year.  Even though I don't know all of the technical terms aswell as some on here I love Bonfire Night and always have done.  I don't usually spend that much but always get enough to keep me and my family busy for a good hour or so every year.

This year will be a sad year for me.  I've watched a lot of video's already and have been distinctly unimpressed with what i've seen and the price, in some cases, is bordering on really poor value for money in my opinion.

With regulations seemingly getting tighter I can only see things getting worse.

Edited by Firestarter, 19 September 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#11 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:53 PM

the price, in some cases, is bordering on really poor value for money in my opinion.

Without question, the price on some fireworks is poor value for money. However, there is also a decent ammount of good value and impressive stuff available to the consumer.

#12 Firestarter

Firestarter

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

Without question, the price on some fireworks is poor value for money. However, there is also a decent ammount of good value and impressive stuff available to the consumer.

David, for the sake of my yearly hobby and my sanity - please feel free to pm me a few links to good value stuff, because i've searched and searched!

kind regards

#13 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 09:04 PM

David, for the sake of my yearly hobby and my sanity - please feel free to pm me a few links to good value stuff, because i've searched and searched!

kind regards

To be honest, I'd suggest you check out the UKFR forum- it's free to join, and can be browsed for free. Chat to the retailers who post there, see if they can do you a deal you are happy with.

UKFR forum

#14 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:15 AM

Sorry Firestarter, I don't fully empathise with you on this point.

If you want cheap fireworks, I can guarantee you there are still products out there at last year's prices (Jordans have good offers, likewise some chain retailers will have offers). If you want big bangs and don't have a problem with storage then go to to Epic for 1.3g. If you want to buy from someone who knows consumer fireworks inside and out and will steer you accordingly then speak to Stu at Pureparty.

You say you don't spend much, but try to keep people entertained for an hour or so. How do you manage to do that, if you tend to prefer the meatier stuff?

You're not a total enthusiast, but you did bother to comment on this forum, which at least suggests you care enough to put yourself out a bit to continue pursuing your tradition.....or do you?

I'm not being critical of your views on this one, but you really do need to look beyond the obvious.

Posted Image

#15 Spyrotechnics

Spyrotechnics

Fireworks Lover

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:21 PM

Agree with what Chimp has to say and would like to add that if you have searched for decent pyro and cant find any then I think you should tell us where you have looked, because I see adverts and offers for good fireworks all over the place (and that isn't JUST old spec items)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users