33 replies to this topic

#16 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

I'd add , too, that some of the buy one get one frees that fireworks shops are doing at the moment are good value.

Let's not forget, too, that there were some bloody awful and expensive fireworks on the market a few years ago, even at the "old regs" and "old prices."

Edited by David, 20 September 2009 - 05:37 PM.

OK, interest in fireworks to be resumed in the spring. It usually is. ;)

#17 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:24 PM

I think the large majority of people on this site are enthusiasts of varying degrees and not so much "Joe Public".
I assume people like Firestarter and Minichris have been spending £100's on a big display each year and not £10's on just sparklers, small garden display boxes etc. I get the impression they are specifically becoming disillusioned with the impact of the new regs ie, the dreaded blackpowder crackle pop stuff in the new 1.4G big barrages etc. I believe they are part of the growing band of pyro fans who rightly feel p****d off with the lack of quality associated with these new fireworks and the resulting reduction in choice on the market.

Perhaps we should be concentrating more on the plight and needs of these guys on this forum rather than the small garden budget people. No discrimination intended !!
Maybe a new sub section should be added to the Consumer forum entitled "garden fireworks" to seperate matters.

What do you think all mighty webmaster ?

ps. Minichris / Firestarter - I found the 1.3G stuff more like the traditional quality gear and Epic are doing a fine selection albeit a little bit more expensive. Hats off to them !!!

#18 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

I found the 1.3G stuff more like the traditional quality gear and Epic are doing a fine selection albeit a little bit more expensive.

I'd say it was very good value for money. B)

#19 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:48 PM

Sorry Firestarter, I don't fully empathise with you on this point.

If you want cheap fireworks, I can guarantee you there are still products out there at last year's prices (Jordans have good offers, likewise some chain retailers will have offers). If you want big bangs and don't have a problem with storage then go to to Epic for 1.3g. If you want to buy from someone who knows consumer fireworks inside and out and will steer you accordingly then speak to Stu at Pureparty.

You say you don't spend much, but try to keep people entertained for an hour or so. How do you manage to do that, if you tend to prefer the meatier stuff?

You're not a total enthusiast, but you did bother to comment on this forum, which at least suggests you care enough to put yourself out a bit to continue pursuing your tradition.....or do you?

I'm not being critical of your views on this one, but you really do need to look beyond the obvious.

Posted Image

Responded in your inimitable style chimpo Posted Image
Maybe you should enlighten us with your take on the 1.3G storage bit you speak of. It could be construed that you are attempting to put people off buying 1.3G...... ?

#20 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:54 PM

I'd say it was very good value for money. Posted Image

Yes I personally feel it is exceptional value ! You certainly get what you pay for in this case !

#21 chimp

chimp

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 08:31 AM

Responded in your inimitable style chimpo

Yep - Inimitable Posted Image

(I don't have any issue with 1.3g fireworks, infact I would have been more than content to have the previous defaults remain in force. However, by definition HT3 storage should not be regarded as the same as HT4).

On the issue of sub forums, maybe we can have one for those who accept change and one for those who can't Posted Image

Edited by chimp, 21 September 2009 - 08:51 AM.

#22 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

ps. Minichris / Firestarter - I found the 1.3G stuff more like the traditional quality gear and Epic are doing a fine selection albeit a little bit more expensive. Hats off to them !!!

It was and still is where I buy my fireworks :D ... just to set it straight -

I wasnt really complaining on the quality of the fireworks avaliable or the value involved at 2009 prices, more that there has been a noticable increase in cost and/or reduction of "fireebies" thrown in.
And as I was saying, if this continues year in year out something has to give, especially "if" the quality drops across the board like some items have started to.

#23 Floydman

Floydman

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:57 PM

Yep - Inimitable Posted Image

(I don't have any issue with 1.3g fireworks, infact I would have been more than content to have the previous defaults remain in force. However, by definition HT3 storage should not be regarded as the same as HT4).

On the issue of sub forums, maybe we can have one for those who accept change and one for those who can't Posted Image

Yip chimpo then you could post away to yourself until your heart's contentPosted Image ....... in your own inimitable style !!

#24 Epic Fireworks

Epic Fireworks

Pyro Grand Master

• UKPS Advertisers
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:31 AM

I'd say it was very good value for money. Posted Image

Cheers David.

Epic Fireworks
Wentworth Business Park
Maple Road
Tankersley
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
S75 3DL

Tel - 01226 749 587
Fax - 01226 361 858

#25 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 11:08 PM

And as I was saying, if this continues year in year out something has to give, especially "if" the quality drops across the board like some items have started to.

This year there still remains some balance- there are quite a lot of good value items still around, generally stock that is already in the UK. However, this won't last forever, of course.

#26 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:26 PM

This year there still remains some balance- there are quite a lot of good value items still around, generally stock that is already in the UK. However, this won't last forever, of course.

Exactly!

#27 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:07 AM

Yeah- once all the old stuff is off the shelves, I think thats where the crunch lies. Hopefully there still will be a good selection of fireworks coming in, at an affordable price available to the public in years to come.

Edited by David, 27 September 2009 - 06:09 AM.

#28 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:53 AM

As a general question, what do you all typically spend on individual fireworks? I don't really do organised displays, and I'm never paid, so this limits my budget!

Personally, I tend to go for a lot of the cheaper stuff- under £10, much of which I just fire for the fun of it. I also buy cakes around the £10-£20 mark, but usually only if I know they are decent from video footage, recommendations etc.

Above £20 and it needs to be something that really stands out.

Finally, I usually go for something around the £50-£60 mark for a finale piece- This year I have picked Ultimate Devastation.

#29 MiniChris

MiniChris

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:49 AM

I tend to go for a selection box deal from epic that comes with the rockets and a couple of Krazy Klocks etc for my younger cousins etc then move on to some of the £4 cakes they do with lots of rockets in multiples. Then I move onto the £10 -£20 cakes with slightly bigger rockets, then for the finale I use a couple (or more) of £20-£25 Cakes and a couple of large rockets to finish. I wouldnt spend anymore than £25 on a single item unless it was REALLY good!

Depending on the mood and weather I either string the firing out and last maybe 40 mins or more or go for say 3 seperate sections of 5 mins or so.

#30 David

David

Moonlight Shadow

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,404 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:02 AM

Some stuff does appear to be selling out already- and with a full month to go. So pephaps it will be a good year for firework sales- Hope so!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users