• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 shellbreak

shellbreak

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

I bought the same Kit as Deano and found it very good.. great stars.
i just saw the same guy has anoher star set a 2 kg set with 8 colours for around 26 quid plus postage... will give this one a try as well . I think kinda nice to get everything you need in one pack and not have to spash out on kilos of chemicals. The kit has half a Kg of 400mesh Magnaliumthat that would cost almost 50 quid alone from some of the other suppliers on this forum...no names mentioned . Shame more people dont sell stuff in kit form including shell casings etc.

#17 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 02:45 PM

I bought the same Kit as Deano and found it very good.. great stars.
i just saw the same guy has anoher star set a 2 kg set with 8 colours for around 26 quid plus postage... will give this one a try as well . I think kinda nice to get everything you need in one pack and not have to spash out on kilos of chemicals. The kit has half a Kg of 400mesh Magnaliumthat that would cost almost 50 quid alone from some of the other suppliers on this forum...no names mentioned . Shame more people dont sell stuff in kit form including shell casings etc.

Wow who sells half a kilo for that much!

I assume the 2 kilo star set is actually about 1.3 kg of chemicals less the pot perc. Is it shipped to the IATA regulations as it contains mgal and probably a few other listed items?

So what is the total price including the shipping and the perc?
Phew that was close.

#18 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

Thai people are very nice in general. Big + that they are into pyrotechnics too. :)

I hope it doesn't change your mind about him, but I do believe he's an ex-pat american living in Thailand.

#19 shellbreak

shellbreak

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

The kit is i think 1500gms chemicals including half Kg of Parlon and half Kg of Magnalium 400mesh and other stuff as well as a load of free items
I've seen Magnalium 400 for sale at over 20 quid for 200 gms so for around 39 quid that the kit costs with postage i recon its pretty good value plus the formulations are all done for you.

Not sure about the shipping regs but the last kit 500gms arrived nicely packed up and had been opened by customs and let through so must have been good enough.

Edited by shellbreak, 21 June 2010 - 03:44 PM.

#20 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

The kit is i think 1500gms chemicals including half Kg of Parlon and half Kg of Magnalium 400mesh and other stuff as well as a load of free items
@@@@@@@@@ is selling Magnalium 400 at 22.95 for only 200 gms last time i looked at the online shop thats 114.75 a kg!!!! so for around 39 quid that the kit costs with postage i recon its pretty good value plus the formulations are all done for you.

Not sure about the shipping regs but the last kit 500gms arrived nicely packed up and had been opened by customs and let through so must have been good enough.

It should have CHIP compliant labels on it and the UN numbers of the items inside on the outside of the package, labels stating that it should not be shipped on a passenger aircraft etc etc. It can't be shipped legaly for the price though.

Edited by digger, 21 June 2010 - 04:27 PM.

Phew that was close.

#21 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 05:00 PM

This guy seems to know his stuff and all the shipping regs to, just because its lower priced does not mean he is not complying with shipping rules, get a grip guys!

#22 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

I agree he does seem to know his stuff. No doubt. Competitive prices too (not necessarily lower!).

The packages shown in the image of the delivery are not labeled correctly to European regs that is certain.

Need to conform to this for air Click

Edited by digger, 21 June 2010 - 06:31 PM.

Phew that was close.

#23 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

I agree he does seem to know his stuff. No doubt. Competitive prices too (not necessarily lower!).

The packages shown in the image of the delivery are not labeled correctly to European regs that is certain.

Need to conform to this for air Click

Not sure about the shipping regs but the last kit 500gms arrived nicely packed up and had been opened by customs and let through so must have been good enough

If customs openend and let it through Digger are you saying customs are not doing their job?

#24 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

It is not customs job to asses whether consumer packaging conforms to the legislation. They are looking for contraband, prohibited goods and tax avoidance. It is the job of Trading standards.

I don't pretend to know all of the regulations, but I do know these as I have an LTD company that has discussed the issue with trading standards as I don't want to fall foul of the law. The last thing I need is to be prosecuted because something was improperly labeled and someone poisons themselves blaming me because the product label did not tell them about the risks and safety precautions they should be using (just look at the back of any cleaning product and you will find that there is a panel with all relevant info to CHIP III regs). It is after all a pretty litigious society.

P.S. A licence is required in the UK to sell Barium Carbinate to a private individual as it is a schedule II poison.

I am not having a go, I am just stating a fact. It is what it is. You pays yer money and you make your choice.

Edited by digger, 23 June 2010 - 10:38 PM.

Phew that was close.

#25 Night Owl

Night Owl

Shell

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:00 PM

Sounds crazy that customs do not inform trading standards of illegal chems labels then, as we live in this silly nanny state, why have these regs if their not adheard to?

#26 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

I would love to be able to answer your question, but I can't. I just don't know how customs operate. But I guess things will change in the future as I believe they are trialling chemical sniffing equipment for anti terrorism purposes so improperly documented shipments may get more attention. They are even talking of equipping police vehicles with the equipment, as it is so sensitive that it can sniff out a few molecules of hydrogen peroxide on a housing estate! (see this months copy of "The Engineer")

I know in the early days I had items sent to me from some of our polish friends, it too was opened by customs. However I do have things delivered to me correctly now with all of the correct paperwork for ADR and I pay for the privilege with high shipping costs.

Edited by digger, 23 June 2010 - 11:18 PM.

Phew that was close.

#27 crystal palace fireworks

crystal palace fireworks

Keith

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

I think the Essex girls in my area won`t be too pleased

Edited by crystal palace fireworks, 24 June 2010 - 12:21 AM.

#28 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,960 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

I think the Essex girls in my area won`t be too pleased

Yep I can see that being a problem (it is only 3% though)
Phew that was close.

#29 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:44 AM

I hope it doesn't change your mind about him, but I do believe he's an ex-pat american living in Thailand.

Haha, I like the USA too. Seems like a nice guy anyway. :)
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#30 pyrotrev

pyrotrev

Pyro Forum Top Trump

• UKPS Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:25 PM

A month or two ago Skylighter had some Parlon bound star formulae in their newsletter + kits for sale - I wonder if there's any connection? The formulae are listed here: http://www.skylighte...ubber-stars.asp (mods - I assume it's OK to post this?)
Trying to do something very beautiful but very dangerous very safely....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users