• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#31 shellbreak

shellbreak

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:34 AM

A month or two ago Skylighter had some Parlon bound star formulae in their newsletter + kits for sale - I wonder if there's any connection? The formulae are listed here: http://www.skylighte...ubber-stars.asp (mods - I assume it's OK to post this?)

I got my new order yesterday for a 2 kg parlon star kit .last night I made up the reds in the formulation...great****** they were dry and ready to light in an hour and burn well.... good bright red. will get the other 7 colors mixed up tonight to try them . The whole kit cost me 26 quid plus postage, well packed and clear instructions and formulation tables..they look to be the same as the skylighter kit but much cheaper ..you don't have to buy everything in1 Lb quantities and of course slylighter will not sell to UK buyers only american. well pleased with the chems and have a half kilo of Magnalium very fine mesh half kilo of parlon plus 6 other chems enough to make 250gm each of eight diff colors. all the chems are a bit over the stated weight so ive got some left of some things to use for something else plus i got a load of free samples including some rice hulls..always wanted to make bp covered huls but don't know where to find them in england.

#32 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 06:32 AM

Wow does the postman come on a Sunday near you?
Phew that was close.

#33 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

I dont mind Skylighter but I love how sometimes they try and make out that certain methods or formulas are their own and new like using a screen to slice parlon stars up which I have seen being used before and parlon bound stars in general.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#34 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

I like him, but it's gotten worse since Ned Gorski started to write for Skylighter. He publishes what he does or is experimenting with, and then SL kind of presents it in a way that he originated it. The first person I saw "slice" parlon stars was Gary Smith. Very similar methods have been used for a long time to make microstars though with more conventional binders. The parlon bound "rubber" stars have been used since the 1980's from Troy Fish's article in Pyrotechnica.

The method is too expensive for me, plus the fumes are obnoxious.

Edited by Mumbles, 28 June 2010 - 08:51 PM.

#35 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

I like him, but it's gotten worse since Ned Gorski started to write for Skylighter. He publishes what he does or is experimenting with, and then SL kind of presents it in a way that he originated it. The first person I saw "slice" parlon stars was Gary Smith. Very similar methods have been used for a long time to make microstars though with more conventional binders. The parlon bound "rubber" stars have been used since the 1980's from Troy Fish's article in Pyrotechnica.

The method is too expensive for me, plus the fumes are obnoxious.

I do like the idea of the parlon bound stars. However for me I try and avoid all solvents due to overly high risk from ignition with them.

OK it is good if you can do it outside. However, in a practical production environment there are to many issues with the regulations regarding solvent release to the atmosphere and if done indoors the risk is unacceptable.
Phew that was close.

#36 shellbreak

shellbreak

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

I do like the idea of the parlon bound stars. However for me I try and avoid all solvents due to overly high risk from ignition with them.

OK it is good if you can do it outside. However, in a practical production environment there are to many issues with the regulations regarding solvent release to the atmosphere and if done indoors the risk is unacceptable.

If we worry toooooo much about issues with regulations none of us would be doing half the things we are discussing here on this forum.

I like him, but it's gotten worse since Ned Gorski started to write for Skylighter. He publishes what he does or is experimenting with, and then SL kind of presents it in a way that he originated it. The first person I saw "slice" parlon stars was Gary Smith.

Ned's actualy a very competent and knowledgable pryo and PGI Grandmaster, while Skylighter may be over the top with their hype and marketing Ned always attributes the basis of his work to others if the ideas or formulations he has published by Skylighter are not his own. Sliced Parlon stars ....yes an old idea and he says so in the article. The formulations he shows in the article are his own modifications of various others but then almost everything seen now purporting to be new is merely modified ...I can't think when the last time I saw a genuine new formulation for anything?

#37 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:37 PM

If we worry toooooo much about issues with regulations none of us would be doing half the things we are discussing here on this forum.

I have no issue with a few grams being produced in this manner for experimental purposes in an outside environment. However there is a far higher than acceptable risk when working in doors with these methods (esp with larger quantities). I would guess that most people on here don't have intrinsically safe lighting and switches in their workshop. The danger of ignition of low boiling solvents is high from these sources. Far higher than working with powders as it is easy to get flash over.

The main issue is to point out risk so that people can assess their environment properly.

In a production environment as I say the issue of solvent becomes even more critical and not just from a legislative standpoint. It is a real safety issue, from explosion risk to personal protection from vapours.

The first rule of any risk assessment is can the "risk be eliminated", if the answer is yes then do it. It is one less thing that needs to be controlled.

Edited by digger, 29 June 2010 - 02:37 PM.

Phew that was close.

#38 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I have been pondering solvent abuse in an enclosed firework assembly unit and have thought about using a vent that is positioned above the star rollers, worktops etc or wherever the stars will be made that sucks out the fumes to the outside environment. Plus anyone handling such material should use a respirator unless they want to get high from the fumes.

#39 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

dunno about high, but a bloody head ache lol

#40 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

Indeed I got a raging headache from that stuff once, bloody awful. I do believe it helps a lot though in comps that are hygroscopic.

#41 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:17 PM

Indeed I got a raging headache from that stuff once, bloody awful. I do believe it helps a lot though in comps that are hygroscopic.

#42 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Yes, I know Ned is a standup guy, I didn't word it as well as I could have. It's more the hype that Harry puts behind it, specifically in the e-mails and newsletters he sends out. I just got one yesterday about how to legally store stuff in an ATF approvable magazine. The e-mail makes it seem like it's SL and Ned's method. It contains a somewhat well known method on how to convert a jobox into a type 4 magazine.

While I'm sure it helps with hygroscopicity, no commonly used chemical needs such protection, unless maybe you're trying to protect magnesium.

Edited by Mumbles, 29 June 2010 - 04:05 PM.

#43 Deano 1

Deano 1

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Did you get 2 headaches then LOLPosted Image
Our saviours : In the ninth century, a team of Chinese alchemists trying to synthesize an "elixir of immortality" from saltpeter, sulfur, realgar, and dried honey instead invented gunpowder.

#44 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

Don't you use gas masks when working with bigger amounts of solvent (as well as bigger amounts of compositions, especially metals and really toxical stuff)?
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#45 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

Don't you use gas masks when working with bigger amounts of solvent (as well as bigger amounts of compositions, especially metals and really toxical stuff)?

Be careful gas masks can hide large build ups of solvent which can create explosive atmospheres and runnaway reactions. Obviously a full face mask with a good dust filter is essential, but think long and hard about adding a solvent filter (I use them in certain situations).
Phew that was close.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users