Photo

Anyone experimented with metal carbonate based colours?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#91 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 07:11 PM

MDH any ideas on what salts could act as an oxidizer given similar amounts of oxygen to say percarbonates and persulphates?
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#92 Mumbles

Mumbles

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:58 AM

Mixing a peroxide of any sort with acetone, or any ketone for that matter, is asking for trouble. Acetone is prone to form unstable peroxides that some of us may be far too familiar with. Percarbonates from what I've gathered are more of a complex salt than a change in structure. Persulfates and the like are actually a new compound.

Some things you may want to look into are metal peroxides. Things like strontium and barium peroxide have some uses in military flares and tracers.

#93 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

The ones which I listed should be easily available. If we are looking at alternatives to chlorates, perchlorates and nitrates due to the often prohibitive natre of the chemical, then we should look at something which decomposes at a relatively sane temperature and is widely available and common (or can be made very easily out of common ingredients).

Yes, essentially anything with a high oxygen content is worth investigating if it can be reacted to produce another compound. Tell me what you see in your cupboard...

#94 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:34 PM

Well percarbonates are used as oxygen bleaches, are there any other chemicals used for the same purpose?

#95 BrightStar

BrightStar

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 04:52 PM

Tell me what you see in your cupboard...

I have a small sample of high-spec barium peroxide to test, but the formulations I've found so far (magnesium based green tracers) don't give me much confidence in their safety. It remains untouched for now unless anyone has any good suggestions...

#96 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 07:04 PM

Well as I'm assuming this isn't something widely looked at, I guess you'll have to start from scratch. See how it reacts with 10% parlon, hopefully slow it a bit. But I'm assuming a tracer comp would be very bright and easily ignitable. Plus I'm assuming considering the use and transport issues it's probably quite static, impact and friction resistant.

#97 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:50 PM

I just tested barium carbonate

BaCO3. 45%
Mg 240 mesh 45%
Parlon. 10%
Mg 80 mesh + 10%

Used the parlon to bind and primed with

Anitomy trisulphid 50%
KClO4 50%
NC powder + 10
Acetone

I will see how the vids come out and post if there any good.

They burned a nice green and bright sparks, but there was a yellow bleaching at times. But they do burn for over a min at 1/2" pumped, I think there way over fueled.

#98 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 04:42 PM

Lithium carbonate (ceramic grade) works well as a substitute for strontium carbonate in Bleser's organic purple:

potassium perchlorate 68
copper oxide 6
lithium carbonate 9
PVC 11
dextrin 5

I have found out that the carbonates work better in a mix of colours, like purple or magenta, than in "pure" colours. Copper carbonate for blue, for example, is pretty pale, but in Electric Magenta it's just right.
"This salt, formerly called hyperoxymuriate of potassa, is
used for sundry preparations, and especially for experimental
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#99 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:16 PM

If using carbonates I find you need to use a lot of parlon to produce a strong colour, ill take some pics of mine to show you.

#100 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:10 PM

I actually avoid carbonates except for magenta and violet. I just happened to buy lots of stuff from a guy who quit the pyro hobby, and then I got some copper and lithium carbonate in the bargain.

For "pure" colours I usually use;

green: barium chlorate
red: strontium nitrate
yellow: cryolite
blue: copper(II)oxide
white: antimony trisulfide or magnesium
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#101 Peret

Peret

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 06:49 AM

I actually avoid carbonates except for magenta and violet. I just happened to buy lots of stuff from a guy who quit the pyro hobby, and then I got some copper and lithium carbonate in the bargain.

For "pure" colours I usually use;

green: barium chlorate
red: strontium nitrate
yellow: cryolite
blue: copper(II)oxide
white: antimony trisulfide or magnesium

I have not had good results with copper carbonate - copper oxide is better. I get excellent reds with strontium carbonate. And there's no better green in the world than barium chlorate - barium nitrate/carbonate greens are pale and washed out by comparison. Unfortunately barium chlorate has a bit of a reputation for sensitivity, so doesn't get much commercial use and there are not many published formulas.

#102 Potassium chlorate

Potassium chlorate

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

For green Bengals, I use the composition Weingart had for exhhibition stars; 90% barium chlorate and 10% shellac, though I usually use an excess of shellac, rather 12% or so than 10%.

For stars on high altitudes it's a bit tricky, since the colour is very good, but the light emittance is poor, but this one is good:

Hardt Green #6

barium chlorate 45
potassium perchlorate 18
parlon 12
magnalium 11
red gum 6
charcoal, airfloat 3
dextrin 4

If you bind it with the parlon/red gum instead of dextrin, you can substitute magnesium for magnalium and adjust the formula like this:

barium chlorate 50
potassium perchlorate 18
parlon 12
magnesium 12
red gum 6
charcoal airfloat 2

You might also substitute potassium chlorate for perchlorate and/or shellac for red gum, though I think the greatest improvement is using magnesium, binding with parlon/red gum and increasing barium chlorate to 50%.
fire-works."

Dr. James Cutbush

#103 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

I am sorry but fine tune your formulas and you can get excellent colours from carbonates that are bright and strong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users