Photo

Anyone experimented with metal carbonate based colours?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#76 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

No, the boric acid should always first be reacted to sodium borate then reacted with a soluble salt (strontium acetate, copper sulfate, etc). This was discussed in another thread extensively in pyrotechnic chemistry.

As I said before, don't stop at the borates - though reactive the borates have trouble igniting due to very high points of decomposition. If you know how to make aluminates, phosphates, stannates or many other metallic compounds, those can all be used as well.

#77 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 11:12 PM

im guessing any acid with a high oxygen content is a candidate to make an interesting salt. what about some of the organic acids, some of them have high oxygen contend?

#78 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:01 AM

im guessing any acid with a high oxygen content is a candidate to make an interesting salt. what about some of the organic acids, some of them have high oxygen contend?

Yes, but the fuel in them will compete for the oxygen, and that will slow the reaction down drastically. I wouldn't recommend it.

#79 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 03:07 AM

mdh could that be a way of lowering the temp of the reaction for blues?

#80 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:43 AM

Yes. It already is. Most blues are organic, and use organic fuels alone with a less stable oxidizer. We're discussing more stable oxidants here with much stronger reducers (magnesium, potentially sulfur in conjunction with metals that it doesn't immediately react with).

#81 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:22 AM

i meant using an organic acid to creat the salt. so and organic acid instead of sulphuric acid for instance.

#82 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:57 PM

i just tried Mg/SrCO3

i was quite impressed, i did it very roughly using a 50:50 mix and it was almost comparable to valine red. when i added parlon i think i added to much because it washed the color out a bit, but i was binding with parlon and acetone and i ran out of time and tested it before it was dry.

but i can see promise. when i get a chance i will make some proper stars and video them.

#83 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 08:28 PM

MgAl works well also but it still needs a 10% boost with Perc to help burn the crap up left behind and smooth the burn rate out.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#84 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

Are there no organics that have similar reactivity to an alkile metal? There's alot of reactive chemicals out there, is there not a group that can react exothermically with CO2 or SO2?

#85 pyrotechnist

pyrotechnist

firework making is my aim, setting off is my game

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

I am wondering the same thing. I am going to try everything I have got and see. Sulphur seems interesting when reacting to create sulphides etc but doubt that could be useful for a base.
fireworks is my aim setting of is the game

#86 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:47 PM

I guess what we need is something that will burn at around 400 degrees rather than 2000 like Mg. But reactive enough to reduce the SO2 or CO2. A problem I can see is will this organic be more unstable and less safe the the perchlorate/chlorate we are replacing.

Something I was speaking to pyrotechnist about was peroxydicarbonate's they apparently will combust with organic fuels, question is can you get Sr, Ba salts etc

From what I gather they are synthesised by reacting the carbonate with H2O2.

#87 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 July 2010 - 11:28 PM

The percarbonates do indeed. The reason we don't use percarbonates and other similar compounds is their instability, which often results in them decomposing on contact with water and forming new compounds with that instead.

#88 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 12:25 PM

would there be anyway of this working, say bond with parlon or NC.

would a percarbonate react with acetone.

#89 MDH

MDH

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 05:40 PM

The percarbonates simply aren't compatible enough for pyrotechnic use.

Perhaps we should explore other compounds that are more stable.

#90 CCH Concepts

CCH Concepts

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 06:51 PM

shame, they seems promising, with very high oxygen content, but paybe alot of the salts with this high content will be inheritly unstable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users