• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

#31 RegimentalPyro

RegimentalPyro

Pyro Forum Regular

• UKPS Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 04:29 PM

any news? got at least one and possibly 2 cheques ready to send....

#32 BattlePyrotechnics

BattlePyrotechnics

• General Public Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:29 PM

Would also like details of the exact date and requirements. 2 places needed, but I have not yet joined but plan to do so very soon..

#33 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 07:36 PM

As there is a lot of interest and limited places, we will be giving preference to paid up UKPS members. We also need confirmed identities for legal reasons and we already have this information for members.

I think Digger may be away, but I'm sure he will confirm details as soon as he can.
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#34 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

I'm still interested, on either date.

#35 Candle

Candle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

As there is a lot of interest and limited places, we will be giving preference to paid up UKPS members. We also need confirmed identities for legal reasons and we already have this information for members.

I think Digger may be away, but I'm sure he will confirm details as soon as he can.

#36 Candle

Candle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:36 PM

I am still interested and would appreciate some firm info such as, place, times, facilities etc to enable me to make plans. All sounds a bit woolly at present and I do need to consider my ability to compete with Ray Mears on a roughing weekend; my 60 years have been hard graft and field trips are best observed on a 48" Sony. BUT I AM STILL VERY INTERESTED.

#37 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

Sorry for the lack of information chaps.

The guy running the course has not got back to me regarding the final booking of the site.

I will give him a prod tomorrow to make sure everything is on target.

I will give you all an update as soon as I know (hopefully very soon), as the time is now approaching very quickly.

Cheers

Gareth
Phew that was close.

#38 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

Right site booking is now confirmed. Full details to follow shortly
Phew that was close.

#39 Arthur Brown

Arthur Brown

General member

• UKPS Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 05:42 PM

I'm keen, and have two friends who might be.
http://www.movember.com/uk/home/

Keep mannequins and watermelons away from fireworks..they always get hurt..

#40 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:56 PM

I will be travelling to Kent to assist Steve with the running of the SFX course. I will be travelling from the Yorkshire Dales onto A1 then South for about 5 hours. Leaving approx midday Friday. Happy to collect anyone on the way South provided its not a major detour and there can be a contribution to fuel costs. I intend to stop over Sat night and return late Sunday. PM if interested.

#41 Candle

Candle

• General Public Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:16 PM

The kind offer of a lift alongside the travel plans from Yorkshire are very commendable but personally I am a 30 minute drive from Kent and my main concern is back to my very original questions .....where roughly in Kent, what facilities and what are the planned activities? I have friends in Kent and despite the obvious joy of a night under canvas, if I knew where it was I could PLAN my weekend and possibly stay with them. Very grateful to all who are sorting this but can we please have some more info.

#42 exat808

exat808

Pyro Forum Regular

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 06:02 AM

The kind offer of a lift alongside the travel plans from Yorkshire are very commendable but personally I am a 30 minute drive from Kent and my main concern is back to my very original questions .....where roughly in Kent, what facilities and what are the planned activities? I have friends in Kent and despite the obvious joy of a night under canvas, if I knew where it was I could PLAN my weekend and possibly stay with them. Very grateful to all who are sorting this but can we please have some more info.

I will prompt Steve to post details asap. I believe that the running order has been finalised. Appreciate your concerns re wanting more details.

#43 phildunford

phildunford

• General Public Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 04 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

Please guys, we don't even have a confirmed date yet as far as I can see - time is short - can we have some action please Steve/ Garath...
Teaching moft plainly, and withall moft exactly, the composing of all manner of fire-works for tryumph and recreation (John Bate 1635)
Posted Imagethegreenman

#44 digger

digger

Pyro Forum Top Trump!

• UKPS Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 12:42 PM

Right then. Yes there has been a bit of delay confirming everything for this course. (You should have known more about it about a week ago, but I have been laid up in bed ill)

The Course will be run by a company Called Live action FX. A total of 15 to 20 people will be on the course if it goes ahead. 5 people will be from outside the UKPS.

The course date is Saturday October 2nd as previously mentioned. There is a possible backup date if the time scale is to short.

The course will be taken by three experienced members of the institute of explosive engineers to ensure that there are small intimate groups ensuring good tuition.

The course syllabus will be as follows:-

All participants are encouraged to either arrive and camp on the Friday night (1st October) or be at hotels/B&B’s in the area (Paddock Wood in Kent), so we can get an early start on the Saturday (2nd October) – everyone on site by 8:30am.

8:30am – 10:00am Safety brief and basic explosives power point presentation and questions (tea and coffee available throughout).
10:00am – 10:20am Demonstration: Simple high explosive ring main -Detonator – Detonating Cord – ‘Dynamite’.
10:20am – 10:30am Split into three groups, introduction to group leader.
10:30am – 11:00am Practical: Each group gets to repeat the demonstration 3 times, so everyone gets ‘hands on’.
11:00am – 11:15am Demonstration: Small ANFO Cratering Charge.
11:15am – 11:45am Practical: Small ANFO Cratering Charges – 1 per group.
11:45am – 12.00pm Demonstration: Peat Burst - SFX ‘cratering charge’.
12:00pm – 12:30pm Practical: Peat Bursts – 2 per group.
12:30pm - 12:45pm Demonstration: Fuel Burst.
12:45pm – 1:30pm Practical: Fuel Bursts 3 per group – 1 off ground burst, 1 off from mortar pot and 1 off coke bottle on a stick (airburst) per group.
1:30pm – 2:30pm LUNCH – BBQ (chef and food included in cost of course).

Afternoon Session: 2 Two Big Sequences – i.e. not demos or recreations, but applying what has been learned, but on a bigger scale!
2:30pm – 4:00pm Flame & Peat Burst Sequence - 10 x Bigger Fuel Bursts, 10 x bigger Peat Bursts, Daisy chained together using Nonel detonators, plus 1 off huge peat burst (No. 21 in sequence).
4:00pm – 5:00pm Car Bomb - 3 x Large fuel bursts inside car (boot, body, bonnet short delay between each) + something special (you’ll have to wait and see).

If we have time then we can do Leaf Prints for each person – explosively printing the outline of the vanes of a leaf into a metal plate.

6:30pm Onwards Fireworks set up – if the participants want fireworks for the evening (We will discuss this point this evening at the management meeting).

7:00pm Dinner – BBQ participants provide their own food and cook for themselves

Unfortunately due to circumstances beyond our control the course cost initially quoted at £100 is now £150 to cover the cost of the materials and the land hire for the course. We apologise for this increase, however it is up to you guys if you think it is worth the cost. It has to be said that this should be a very memorable day in which you will get to learn about and use explosives in a safe and legal manner which most would not otherwise get the opportunity to do.

If you would still like to attend this course please let us know by Saturday the 18th of October. So that we can make the final arrangements to make it happen.

For those who wish to camp, the site will be available from Saturday to Sunday. Anyone who stays over until Sunday to help with the clear up will also have the opportunity to help with some explosive research work that will be taking place on the site.

We will require a copy of the prohibited persons form (attached) to be completed for anyone attending the course as you will be in control of explosives during the course.

If you have any questions please ask. For the fastest possible response to any questions you have please contact me on 07525 199210

Gareth

Attached Files

Phew that was close.

#45 Bob Twells

Bob Twells

UKPS Web Admin

• UKPS Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the info Gareth, it sound excellent! What's the 'official' method for reserving our places on it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users